390 crankshaft

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Saff54, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Saff54

Saff54 In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Afternoon all,so looking to order parts for the lower end of my 390,crank,bearings etc..spoke to a recommended distributor in my area and he told me there were 2 different types of crankshaft available,one he has, if it’s the second one there almost impossible to find,my question is:is there a way to identify which crank it is without pulling the motor?my mechanic is 3weeks out before he can start the rebuild and want to have the parts ready to install once he starts,as usual thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

2. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

You're going to order a crank without checking yours first ? I'd strongly recommend taking it apart and seeing if it just needs a polish and new bearings instead. Heck, even if it needs a grind it only takes a week or so.
    To answer your question, no, there isn't a way to check what's in there without taking it apart. Anyway, not that I know of.
    If he's talking about a truck 391 crank, you don't have one. :cool:

Hillbilly likes this.
  3. Saff54

Thanks Phil,just going by what my mechanic is telling me,what your saying makes perfect sense,I’ll go by and see him tomorrow

4. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

FE cranks have 2 different size pilot holes for converter.
    If rebuilding a running engine definitely have your crank polished or turned.
    If you do an exchange you may be trading a good crank for one that has been patched up.
    I think fe up to 71 is the same size. I just went through the 2 different crank pilot hole sizes last summer on my 70 F-250.
    They gave me the wrong converter and I didn't notice until I tried to install it. :mad:

5. pmrphil

Yes, I own an automotive machine shop, and the quality of most "crank kits" is not so great. I wouldn't put that crap in any of my engines. Tapered journals, sizes off by a LOT, welded throws, STILL bent from a blow up are just some of the common problems. WAY better idea to get yours reground by a competent shop if needed. I can recommend one up by you, just holler.

The Wrench likes this.
  6. Saff54

Hey Phil,I’d appreciate that,is it something you would be interested in doing?your not that far away,if not and you could recommend someone closer that you can trust would be much appreciated

The Wrench likes this.
  7. pmrphil

I don't have a crank grinder, only a polisher. If it needs grinding, Boucher's in Rowley, MA does awesome work and Tom is a super honest guy. If it just needs a polish and mike job, I could do that for you no problem.

8. Saff54

Thanks Phil,really appreciate your offer,I’ll PM you if that’s ok