3G alternator install

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by Fomoco8, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

Just finished converting my 78 over to a 3G late model alternator... Works freaking great!!! 14.7 volts constant and no drop when in gear or lights on,,,I use under drive pulleys and they always caused the old 65 amp stocker trouble keeping up with demand,, Total cost was about $107.50 for the whole project...

Salvage yard alternator $12
    Power Cable $50
    MSd Noise Filter $ 38
    Misc Connectors $ 5
    Salvage yard bracket $2.50

The noise filter is to protect my MSD ignition box from the voltage spike that the alternator causes when starting.. Most people won;t need that unless running an MSD ,,,, Not a hard project, I was also able to get rid of the old regulator and associated wiring to clean up the fender apron,,, Looks much better, If anyone is interested in doing this and has questions please ask ..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2008
    ccain likes this.
  2. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

Did the same thing as well.. definately love it... so easy I would recommend it to anyone.. what bracket did you need?? mine was plug and play in place of the original...no mods... still have the regulator in place...just isnt plugged in..guess I should get a clue and remove it? :p

3. Fomoco8

On my 460 the original lower bracket was a couple inches short,,, Got one from an earlier year and it had the extra length to accomadate the belt and adjustment,,, I love this no voltage drop stuff ,,, Makes the hot rod stuff ,,cams . pulleys, ignition etc: much more fun when the juice supply is constant Next change may be an upgrade to LIncoln Mark VIII electric fan,,, they draw a bunch of amps so a kick ass alternator is a must!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2008
  4. rancheromeister

rancheromeister In Overdrive

Spence, could you be more specific on the parts used? What did the alternator fit, and what wiring is needed? thanks,JD:cool:

5. Fomoco8

Absolutlely can do that,,,The alternator is a late model Ford 3G 130 amp found in a buttload of mid to later 90s Fords.. Will post a list later,, The one wanted is the one with the mounting ears 180 degress apart from each other,,,, THis should fit any early Ford product with little or no modifications,,, Parts needed are the Factory wiring harness for the internal regulator ,,and a power cable with mega fuse ,,,available at PA Performance or can be made,,, I had to find a different lower mounting bracket but a lot of cars don't or you can just extend the existing one with a little welding... I will add to this post later on I have to find the good links,,, Wiring is easy the power cable goes from the + side of the solonoid to the post connection on the alternator ,, the Yellow/ white wire from the regulator ,,same place,,, the red /green wire from the regulator connects to the existing same colored wire on the car and thats it,,, ,,you can remove all the other stuff from the fender,, regulator and associated wiring ,,, One thing here is if you are running an MSD or other high price ignition box, I would recomend the noise filter ,$38 bucks at Summitt,,, the start up spikes can raise hell with them and its good insurance.... More info later Gotta go to work

6. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

The alternator is a late model Ford 3G 130 amp found in a buttload of mid to later 90s Fords..

+++++++++++

Can a standard v-belt pulley be made to fit it?

Don't imagine I'd ever need that much alternator, but good info to know. Maybe some of these guys with the kilowatt audio amps would want one.

7. Fomoco8

Yes the pulley change is an even swap just remove the serp belt one and install the other pulley without the external fan,,, THe 130 has an internal type fan,,A good thing for running under drive pulleys and electric fuel pumps and fans too

The cars with the alternators
    94-95 5.0L MUSTANG
    94-00 3.8L MUSTANG
    944-97 3.8L TBIRD OR COUGAR
    90-95 3.8L TAURUS OR SABLE
    93-99 3.0L TAURUS OR SABLE
    95-98 WINDSTAR 3.8L + 3.0L
    91-94 CONTINENTAL 3.8L
    92-97 F SERIES PICKUPS
    92-96 E SERIES VANS
    Here are a couple of good links for info

http://www.1bad6t.com/diagrams/3Ginstall.jpg
    http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=75
    http://www.paperformance.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=20

I'm not sure if the resistor is needed at all... I asked around and most said no.. I figure its probably for early (pre electronic) or maybe cars with light only.....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2008
  8. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

I have the standard V-belt pulley on mine BB..no issues..

9. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

I have the standard V-belt pulley on mine BB..no issues..

++++++++

Killer info, folks -- mods, I suggest this be moved to a tech sticky.

10. Smile_n_jax

Smile_n_jax In Fourth Gear

Great info, Spence. Gonna look into doing that. I have a system on my boat that allows the three batteries to be charged while I'm towing. 130 amps would charge them up very nicely. Instead of a junkyard unit I think I'll go with Kragen. They have a brand new Autolite unit for $150.

11. Fomoco8

As a slight caveat in case the parts counter guy is brain dead or the website has the wrong info, there was a 95 amp 3G alternator but I think it was only 1 year and isnt made anymore,,, Also if you find that the 130 doesn;t fit the bill ,it can be converted up to a 200 amp with a new stator for about 80 bucks,, The great thing about do it yourself is the $$ savings and gained knowledge after doing it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
  12. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Good info Spence,Thanks.My 1g is stating to growl,needs replacing.Is the any way to id 3g alternators(95-130-200 amp) by looks?Should i take doner wire harness? Thanks John

13. Fomoco8

Look for the ones with the mounting ears 180 degrees apart,,,Some will actually have 130 amp marked on the back in the center,,, THey are all pretty much 130's if you stick with the list of donors I listed,, There are pics on the links that I left on the other post.... Yes take the harness portion that goes to the regulator ,as much wire as you can pull of it,,, Good for cutting mistakes,, ,,and then you'll either have to make or buy the power cable with 200 Amp fuse,,,

14. sloth92

sloth92 Guest

PA performance has a really nice 3g around 200.00 and it is perfect for car audio and other electronics. I used it on my 92 cougar 5.0, I have a memphis belle 1100x1 watts at 1ohm 300x4 watts at 4 ohms with a couple of sound processors and real Hids on it and it never goes below 13 volts even when I idle slamming. I will try to find the part number for it and post that too.

15. sloth92

sloth92 Guest

130A 3G Ford Alternator #1618 I believe this is the part number I am very happy with this alternator and it does enough amperage for my car and at first I had an autozone rebuilt alternator from a mustang supposedly 130 amps, must of been at 6000 rpm because the pa made a huge difference, I also for got to add I run a 16" zirgo fan too I think it pulls around 30 amps or so. Any way we have a guy who builds a bracket for the swap on the 89-93 mn12s with a 5.0 and that worked flawlessly.

16. RRRCobraSC281

RRRCobraSC281 In Second Gear

I pulled one out of a 95 Mustang when I was out looking for a power steering pump. The car was clean and the engine was spotless. Infact the heads and intake looked new. Anyways, I ordered my 160amp 3G alternator with the one wire mod ($160) from DB Electrical out of Gray, TN and finally got it in. I was going to return the one picked from the yard if it wasn't any good, but after going to Kragen and had them test it, they said that the alternator is fine. Anyone near Fremont, CA is welcome to pay what I paid for it which I think was about $30

17. Torrance00

Torrance00 In Fourth Gear

3G

I did the swap using the alternator out of a Ford Taurus...$20 worked great,
    also did the electric fan swap using the two speed fan from the Taurus 3.8 L

18. haynmerc

haynmerc In Third Gear

I also did this mod from PA folks. Excellent kit, and supports two sound amps, two radiator fans, A/C, etc...I also installed their PMGR starter on this 460(stroked to 534) Montego. Perfect electrical and absolutely no starting problems. I do have the MSD setup, but never heard of the filter, not sure how that fits in.....

19. Fomoco8

THe filter is basically a large capacitor that is wired in series to absorb the sudden current surge when the alternator starts,,, It is probably overkill but when a 6AL box goes for 250$ or so a pop I figured the extra $ for the filter was cheap insurance.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2009
  20. haynmerc

haynmerc In Third Gear

Thanks for the info and advice, will look into getting this installed asap. Especially since I have a complete MSD set up. Good to have folks like you here....
    Andy