3G alternator install

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by Fomoco8, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Smile_n_jax

Smile_n_jax In Fourth Gear

FYI, I'm looking to do the upgrade. I have a Summit Multispark box, so I contacted Summit. They told me a filter would not be required. Probably because their box is digital, unlike all the other makes that are analog.

2. davidwest

davidwest In Second Gear

To Starter Solenoid or To Black/Orange Post?

ok,
    the question is :

send the power from the 3g, via the black/orange stripe main wire to the starter relay ///?

.... or to the post where there is already a heavy black and orange wire (not as heavy as the one on the new 130 amp alt)

this is on a 1972 ranchero, 351c

not sure if you lose your gauges if the alternator is not hooked up as it was, but dont want to burn up the car either....

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2013
  3. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

4. davidwest

davidwest In Second Gear

Thanks

Thanks Fomoco8...

I have it all installed, basically just like the diagram.

My Question - simplified and clarified -

does anyone who has done this modification still have a working "factory" ammeter gauge?

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2013
  5. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Yes, I had a working ammeter gauge on my '79, but due to the ammeter shunt's 10ga wiring it ends up being a potential electrical problem area if you are taking advantage of the 3G's increased amperage output(big stereo, electric fans and etc). Trying to use a 10 gauge wire to carry the amperage that requires a 4 or 2 gauge cable is playing with fire, literally. I sent my ammeter out and had it changed over to a volt meter(www.rccinnovations.com) and slightly modified the vehicles ammeter wiring to effectively remove the ammeter's shunt capabilities. The volt meter and it's wiring is a much safer way to verify the voltage output of the alternator. Hope this helps. Todd

rancheromac likes this.
  6. davidwest

davidwest In Second Gear

BYE BYE Ammeter....

thanks aquartlow ---

looked all over and found lots of opinions, mostly fights, over amp meters vs voltage meters.....

i know we have a few electrical engineers here, and i am definitely NOT one of them...

to truly have your ammeter working the charge seems to run thru one circuit that has a shunt on it, while the battery feeds a different circuit thru the starter relay.

the mod for using the 3g alternator instructs to attach the larger 3g style cable t the starter relay and almost completely disables the ammeter. if you run a 10 gauge wire from the relay to the original connection the ammeter moves, but calibration would have to be done by trial and error with various shunt configurations, and there is still that fire issue.

what i decided to do was to attach the alternator to the starter relay terminal as directed, and reverse the wires on the back of the ammeter. for some reason this shows the amount of increased charge coming out of the alternator?

( the EE's can chime in now)....

not real sure, but the gauge is still stock until i can afford aquartlow's upgrade which is probably the best idea that i have come across....

7. bscottie

bscottie In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

rancheromac likes this.
  8. paparoscoe

paparoscoe In Overdrive

Ok....scouted the bone yard this weekend and found a bright and shinny reman alternator on 96 Taurus and the perfect wire harness off a crown vic. It is long enough with the factory fuse links. Yanked it all, test fit it all, and had alternator tested at AZ. All seemed perfect. Worked on swapping out the pulleys and the crap began. The old v belt pulley rubs the housing and the new shaft is a little short for a full nut engagement. A thin shim behind the pulley would work but I need a pulley that has a recess for the nut. Checked pulley alignment on new alternator vs old and it will be fine. Hoping it will be a simple as finding a different pulley. Has anybody had this problem?

9. aquartlow

The only time I had a problem with thread engagement was when I tried a 1G dual belt pulley on a 3G I was using. Let me look through my alternator pulleys, I may have one or at least get you a part number. Todd

10. bscottie

bscottie In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I picked up a used 3g a couple of weeks ago with plans to try out the upgrade, I am hoping that my March Performance pulley will work with just a washer, will have to see how it works out. the other option is to have another pulley polished, etc. will find out in a week or two

11. paparoscoe

paparoscoe In Overdrive

That would be cool. Any help would be appreciated. I have a reman 1G and the pulley is a solid machined piece without a recess for the nut. Was thinking that maybe other 1G pulleys are different.

12. paparoscoe

paparoscoe In Overdrive

I hope you have a little better luck than I am currently having. Small problem but I was excited on how easy things were going.

13. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

If push come to shove send me the "pulley" and nut and I will chuck it up n the lathe and recess it for you. Just tell me how much depth you need for full thread engagement

14. paparoscoe

paparoscoe In Overdrive

Thanks 5.0........I might have to take you up on that.

15. aquartlow

Papa, I have some pics of two different 1G pulleys that will work on a 3G alt. One pulley has Ford part# C5AF-10A-352-K, here are a few pics of it.

Face of pulley.
    [​IMG]

Rear of pulley.
    [​IMG]

Required spacer.
    [​IMG]

Pulley installed without lock washer to engage all the shaft threads(I would use locktite and be fine with it). You could also lathe the boss area on the face of the pulley, flush with the body of the pulley to install a lock washer.
    [​IMG]

I will post pics of the second pulley, due to posting issues. Todd

16. aquartlow

Papa,
    Here are pics of the second 1G alternator pulley I have. I believe it is a Ford factory pulley, but I cannot find part #'s due to painting pulley with epoxy.

Face of pulley and rear of pulley are identical, pulley sheave runs the centerline of pulley, so you can mount it either direction.
    [​IMG]

Here is the pulley and the required spacers for alternator clearance.
    [​IMG]

Here is the pulley installed, the only issue I can see is that when using both required spacers the pulley only engages about an 1/8" of the alternator shaft(basically pulley face is at the threads of the shaft). The thickness of the pulley doesn't look, if at all, more than 1/8".
    [​IMG]

I used this exact set-up on my 3G when I first installed it without any issues with the pulley. I ran it for about 3-4 months like this, I did change it out later when I had belt squealing issues when I pushed the amperage capabilities of the alternator. I modified my 460's crank pulley to accept a 6 rib sheave then re-installed the factory 3G 6 rib pulley to the alternator.

If you need either of these pulleys just let me know, I will send the corresponding spacers to ease installation if needed. Sorry for the long posts, just trying to give as much info and options as I could. Good luck with your conversion, when finished, you will wonder why you didn't do it alot sooner :D. Todd

17. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

If you can't find the right pulley, send what you have to me and I will put it in my lathe and make the nut recess you need.
    Sorry, just noticed Carl already offered.:eek:

18. paparoscoe

paparoscoe In Overdrive

@ aquartlow.......Thanks for the help. Your pulleys are a lot different than the one I have

[​IMG]

Here is the backside

[​IMG]

The bone yard had a Ranchero in it. I pulled that alternator to compare it to the 3G I found. With a little luck it will still be there waiting for me to snag the pulley.

19. paparoscoe

paparoscoe In Overdrive

Thanks for the offer, Ribald............between you, Carl, and Todd. The pulley issue will be not be one if I strike out at the bone yard on Sunday.

20. paparoscoe

paparoscoe In Overdrive

Junk yard adventure last weekend was a success. Got everything buttoned up tonight. Happy with final outcome. Living the 3G dream.