3G alternator install

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by Fomoco8, Aug 1, 2008.

1. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Glad to hear you got it installed.

2. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Anybody ... how are those pulleys pulled off the shaft? How do you hold them to tighten the nut?

3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

The armature shaft has reduced diameter threads, the sheave sits on the step in the shaft and the nut holds to the shaft so they are not a press fit. Use of and Impact wrench is required to remove and install the nut I have not found any other way to hold the shaft wile removing or replacing the nut.

4. TomFord

TomFord In Third Gear SILVER MEMBER

Try one of those flexible rubber type oil filter wrenches around the pulley. Works great

5. rancheromac

rancheromac In Third Gear

I remember seeing what this site use to call a sticky, showing details of how to convert to the 3g, I have been looking at old post and cant find. Does anyone have this link? thanks

6. aquartlow

Rancheromac,
    Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but hopefully this diagram will help:
    [​IMG]

7. rancheromac

This is for a 65 mustang, I have a 79 chero. I do not rember having to change pulleys, you used a alternator that came off the car to make the 3g. I think the info I remember was for a 79 chero, but thanks for the info

8. aquartlow

This is for wiring references, your '79 uses the same wiring colors. You need to remove the 3G's 6 rib pulley and install a "V" belt pulley for the alternator to work on your Ranchero(unless you modify the harmonic balancer pulley sheave that turns the alternator, to a 6 rib sheave like I did ;)). The alternator I used on my '79 was from a '93 Taurus w/3.0 OHV, it was clocked correctly to easily fit my BBF, remanned Lester part number 7765. I have yet to see a 3G come with a single and/or double "V" pulley sheave, only multi-rib pulley.

9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That's because, starting with the 2G (think '86-and-up Crown Vic/Grand Marquis), nearly all alternator installs across the Ford lineup had multi-rib/serpentine setups. Since my Grand Marquis bracketry stayed with the 351W, I wouldn't have to change to a dual-belt pulley.

10. aquartlow

Yep, I was just referring to the fact that, Rancheromac, will need to change the 3G's pulley(unless he has a later model SBF installed that uses a serpentine belt) to a V belt sheave, since every 3G alternator produced utilized a multi-rib belt sheave.
    BTW, Rancheromac, the pulley swap is easy and straight forward. Some V belt pulley's have a built-in spacer on the rear of the pulley, another type will need a separate spacer to clear the front of the 3G's housing. You will need to find the appropriate pulley and/or spacer to fit your application. Good luck.

11. rancheromac

Thanks for info, I should have mentioned this is a 460. I think that's what aquartlow is running? I think I remember the post was from A dude across the pond. Framosco???

12. aquartlow

Yes, I am running a big block. The '93 Taurus alternator is almost a direct bolt-in, it has been a while since I went with my 3G ,but IIRC I didn't have to modify the alternator brackets at all(though I did have to mess with the alternator spacer size a bit). I did modify my 460's crank pulley to end belt slippage issues by removing the alternator single "V" sheave and installing/welding a 6 rib sheave in it's place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Fits perfect on C engine as well.Mid 90s Taurus 3.0 donor with harness.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I've never heard of this filter being needed. Is that recommended in the MSD instructions? Makes sense to me, and the cost seems to be well worth it.

15. burninbush

I have a 6A that I bought maybe ten years ago, nothing in the lit that came with it about needing a filter. And I suspect that fomoco8 meant to connect it from the power input of the MSD to a nearby ground -- series does not make sense to me.

I would bet that any MSD ignition box already has spike protection on the power input. I have a schematic of one here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

16. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

As the MSD should be connected directly to the battery (per instructions) it would be very hard for the alternator to create a voltage spike large enough to harm it.
    I don't even know where the spike would come from. The regulator forces back EMF into the alternator, not the system. A relay type regulator can allow some back EMF to arc across the contacts, but if the battery were unable to sink it other items (like the radio) would be damaged.
    MSD systems run in many cars with high amp alternators with no problems. I have one vehicle with a 160Amp alternator, and another with a 200Amp, and have no problems with the MSD.

17. burninbush

Edit: ** ... after some thought, it's possible he is talking about an inductor as a filter, in which case series would be correct. Still doubt that it is necessary.

18. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

19. russosborne

russosborne In Fourth Gear

I picked up a used 3G from a Mustang. Craigslist, bare alternator only.
    This thread has been a big help :D but I do have a couple of questions.

I've been looking online and found a new complete wiring harness kit for $32 plus shipping for converting 1G cars to 3G.Easier for me than hitting a junk yard. Power cable and fuse included. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-1986-F...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c91fcdd9
    Going to order it later this week after I can make a deposit in the bank so I have the funds to pay for it.

This is going on a 72 351C. Anyone have any issues with that install as far as brackets or interference? Since this is my daily driver anything I can find out about ahead of time really helps. Don't want to get half way into the install and find out I can't finish it that day.

Also, can/should the 2 groove V belt pulley be used? The same seller with the wiring kit also sells the 2 groove V belt pulley, but lists it as fitting the 1G and 2 G only. :confused:
    Not sure if I need the 2 groove, car has power steering and air conditioning. I would like to convert to serpentine, but that isn't possible for the forseeable future. Honestly, I don't remember right now which pulley the car has currently. Been too busy working on other stuff to notice. :oops: I just decided yesterday to return the 100 amp external reg. alternator I had bought and go this route. Figure if I am going to the effort of changing the alt anyway, might as well do it right. That alternator did have the 2 groove V belt pulley.

Thanks,
    Russ

20. aquartlow

All the 1G pulleys I have tried on a few 3G's have went on fine, though there are differences in the "stand out" of the pulley(distance from center of pulley and 3G's case). One pulley may have a shoulder to space it from the alt's case, the next pulley may not have the shoulder and will require a spacer. Having removed/kept all of the pulleys/spacers/nuts/washers off of about 5 or 6 100amp side terminal 1G alternators (before I tossed the 1G cases out), I have seen many variances in the pulley attachment. Once you get the 3G mounted/working and get rid of the voltage regulator's kinda messy/sometimes suspect wiring, you will never want a 1G again(unless you want a total numbers correct Ranchero). Did you get a large case or small case 3G? The small case is rated at 95 and the large case is rated at 130 amps. Good luck with your conversion, it's a good one for sure. Todd