3G alternator install

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by Fomoco8, Aug 1, 2008.

1. russosborne

russosborne In Fourth Gear

Thanks.

I ordered a set of 4 washers/spacers along with the pulley and the wiring kit.

I am not a numbers correct type of person. :) I want the car to be what I want.

As far as the alternator itself, it had better be the 130 amp style, but I need to research and see how to id it. If not I am going to be a bit unhappy with myself for not making sure when Ibought it. This is my first foray into the 3G world.

Russ

2. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Here are two different 3G's for the pivot mount, all these are the large case 130 amp 3g:
    [​IMG]
    Here is a pivot mount small case(note the number of holes in the 3 "spokes", this gives you a quick reference of what case you are looking at), note the 4 holes, the large case has 2 holes per spoke.
    [​IMG]
    Here are the side by side differences:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. russosborne

russosborne In Fourth Gear

Thanks!
    Just went and checked mine out. It is a 2 hole. Supposed to be from a 92 Mustang with a 5.0l, at least that is what it is marked as.
    The guy I bought the wiring harness and pulley from also has rebuild kits for around $25. Although I am not having any luck finding one that states it is for the 92 Mustang. I have sent him a question thru Ebay just now.
    Russ