460 mated to a ZF 5?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Randall, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Randall

Randall In First Gear

Has anyone put a ZF5 behind a 460 in a 76 body style? Or know where to go for information? Ive done some research and it mostly leads to trucks.

2. tony o

tony o In Third Gear

I am assuming you are talking about a ZF S5-42 into a 76 ranchero. Looking at my F350 with that trans/motor combo and my 72 ranchero.

The ZF trans is huge and it looks like you will need make the trans tunnel larger to clear the trans.

The shifter location on the ZF should be workable.

Will need a hydraulic clutch pedal setup to work with the trans as it’s an integral bell housing. You could do a mechanical linkage as it does use a throwout arm with an external slave cylinder but the only linkage from the factory is for a 351C and won’t bolt in with a 460.

Another thing you may want to consider is using the close ratio diesel internals in a 460 gas case. I did this when I replaced the Warner T-19 in my F350. That will give you 4:14 first gear instead of 5:72 which makes first gear more useful in normal driving.

If you are looking a performance trans I’d look at Tremec.

3. Randall

Randall In First Gear

Thanks tony and correct on the S5-42. Reason I chose it is I wanted a manual 5 speed that will bolt to the 460 without an adapter plate. I considered robbing a 5 speed man out of a yarded mustang too. I can do all the trans tunnel modifications, and fab brackets for linkages and stuff like that. Looking to keep my initial investment into the transmission itself low and not super concerned with performance, Ill keep a Tremec in mind if I give up on this idea.