5.9 12 valve ZF5spd swap

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by The Executive, Dec 16, 2018.

1. The Executive

The Executive In First Gear

Hello all! I have been periodically looking at these forums just too see if anyone has yet to actually stuff a good ole 12 valve in one of these. So far with looking high and low the only things I have come across is the perkins diesel swap and the 4bt swap. With that being said I believe that I just might be the first to actually get one into a ranchero. I has been a lot of fab work but is bolted in, still a lot of work ahead of this project but I wanted one in one so here we are.

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Reads like an interesting project - I'm sure there will be a lot of interest.

Welcome to the site!

3. The Executive

Thank you! I do think that it will get a lot of the "wait He did what?!" Conversations Going.

4. kaytbugsdad

kaytbugsdad In Second Gear

I would love to see more on this project...….. Looks like it would be a LOT of fun when you get it done!!!! We have a guy where I live that has a Chevelle with a Duramax in it that runs 11's at the track, and I see him driving it around town as well, very streetable, very fast car!!!!

5. The Executive

Oh I have lots of pictures of this project ranging from when I first got it, the donor swap truck and progress. I too have a duramax that I have planned for a 77' lowered 1ton Gmc dually.

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Boy, that's gonna be one tall piston pounder. I've seen other cars with them, and when they're done, they have a great deal of fab work just to keep the rocker boxes under the standard hood. I'm gonna watch this, but if you could start a tech writeup of what you've done so far, that would whet our appetites.

7. The Executive

My apologies for the delay of tasty detailed tid bits, It's been cold and cardboard bales are heavy!
    Anyway here's where this all started, I picked this 77' up out of denver on craigslist for $700. It had a fire under the hood, (pre-ignition/rich carb causing a good ole carb fart) So I bought it with the idea of diesel swapping it. I've had 4 prior so I know these well. Now I'm a Chevy guy at heart but the lines of the 70's Ranchero's just look good to me. Chevy El Camino lost their classiness after 72' in my opinion. So after I got it back home it sat for a few years as I worked and looked for the right set up to come along. I found what I was looking for by happenstance while looking around Medium duty dealer friends lot. In a 90's ford f450 ex-rollback tow truck was a a diesel, I assumed maybe a 6.9L or a 7.3L idi, my curiosity got the better of me and told me to pop the hood. Under the hood was everything I was looking for. A first gen 5.9L Cummins Turbo diesel complete with a 2wd ZF5 manual trans. Needless to say that day it was mine. I fired it up and boy oh boy did that put a smile on my face! No smoke and purred like a kitten! Long story short, I pulled both engines out and began to shoe horn this thing in with the help of my good fabricator friend Micheal. He has a shop with all the power required to do the cutting and welding I needed to make this work. We had to flip the pan around to clear the front cross member but have used the original engine mounting points on both the Ranchero and Cummins. The firewall did have to be cut to make a proper fit and weight distribution as well as getting the manual transmission to fit. I will tell y'all this, next one is getting an automatic! You'll see why with the pictures because the entire dash had to be removed to redo the steering column/pedal assembly as well as where the shifter ended coming up at. I sourced some nice bench bucket seats for this so far, but have not put them in it yet. As far as the fuel system goes, I pulled a rear diesel fuel tank from another 90's ford truck and believe it or not shares close similarities to the original tank both in size, strap and filler placement. The original straps are a bit long and need trimming down to hold the diesel tank in place. I have a lot more that I can say about this so feel free to ask me questions.

andrewok1 likes this.
  8. tony o

tony o In Third Gear

Pictures?

9. The Executive

I do, I'm trying to figure out how to resize them to put on here, most of my pictures are over 4mb per.

10. The Executive

024.jpg Hey lookie there! I did it.........great now I have about another 50 to re-do......anyway this is the first pic.

11. The Executive

12. handy_andy_cv64

1) What's with the paint job?
    2) You just helped me confirm that a late model pickup truck rear tank fits (I'm planning SEFI on my 351W). Thank you for doing that work for me....;)

Owing to the sheer weight of the 6bt (member Thebiglebowski is putting a 6bt from his crew cab into a standard cab, and he definitely beefed the front suspension by converting to 4WD), what are you thinking on the suspension, both front and rear, to support that weight?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  13. The Executive

Erm.......ya the paint job......it was like that when I got it, it was used to promote a more natural soda start up company. I started to peal most of the wrap off and will be sanding all the way down to bare metal when I get to that point.
    When I get the chance I'll mock the tank into place and take a picture for everyone to see how it sits.

Believe it or not, I haven't noticed any real drop or even sag in the suspension or tires for that matter, even with the weight of the engine alone being right about 1,100lbs full dressed. However I am going to end up probably having another set of stronger springs made for it as well as putting a set of in spring airbags from that found in some older motor homes for ride dampening in the front, rear springs I haven't yet decided on yet. Also with the oil pan sitting closer to the ground than I 20180731_150852.jpg would like I will also be building a strong bolt on skid plate for protection.

14. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Third Gear

I for one am very interested in how (and what kind) you put a clutch into a 77?

Cheers,

Doc

15. The Executive

16. The Executive

003 (2).jpg This is the ZF5 as you can see it came up right below the ashtray, I will be rebuilding the dash from scratch using some of the original frame work and maybe the dash cap.

17. handy_andy_cv64

The setup my friend Kyle put into his '73 F100 includes a hydraulic clutch unit (he had to bolster both sides of the firewall for it; I'll see if I can get pics and info on the hyd parts, as well as the cast aluminum adapter plate and clutch/flywheel he's using.
    The truck may not have gone down much as you put the engine in, but for sure, it will bottom on those springs. The early 429/460 'coke bottle' Cheros will be the heaviest-duty springs you can still install, but I have a suspicion you may have to go with a full air-ride to handle the weight.

18. The Executive

Yeah mine has a hydraulic set up in it as well, I used a gm hydro-boost and clutch pedal to push the slave cylinder. Thankfully my power plant already had the adapter plate and everything to it which saved me a good amount of money. That was nice because I ended up fully rebuilding the transmission and took care of the problems that the ZF5 transmissions had from factory, much like the NV4500HD's had. The springs and shocks seem to do pretty well as they are, still good travel and stop, but I agree that they are still going to be a might bit weak for the weight pushing down on them, especially seeing as not everything has been added back onto it yet. I may go full air ride but I am not set on that yet, I can have a set of heavy duty springs made for the weight as well as adding interspring air bags, It's pretty much just a matter of cost really. My biggest challenge is going to be figuring out the placement and functionality of the throttle pedal, since the throw out arm is all up in the way of where it is supposed to be.

19. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Really, only 1100 lbs ? I weighed the engine out of my 1970 Torino Cobra and came up with the same weight. 429 CJ fully dressed.

20. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

I installed '99 F150 Lightning front coil springs to help with handling, actually cut 1/2 to 3/4 of a coil and using a spring rate calculator it came to 975-1000 in lb spring rate. The Lightning springs are just a bit smaller in I.D.(3.99" versus stock Ranchero @ 4.04") but fit the upper spring bucket and lower control arms just fine. Moog #80100 for reference, have .812" bar diameter, 70's Lincolns and Cadillacs used front coil springs with .72-.765" bar diameter. Hope this helps