57- 59 Brake drums

Discussion in 'Ranchero Parts Wanted' started by ACollin, Jan 12, 2018.

1. ACollin

ACollin In First Gear

I need serviceable ( enough material to clean and make round) brake drums for my 57 ranchero.
    I need fronts-- could use all 4.
    You guys who have gone to disc conversions must have tons of this stuff just hanging around!

Please help if you can
    Andrew

2. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

If push comes to shove you can have your drums spray welded and turned. Under hard use they won't wear as well, but the difference is not huge.
    Another, albeit much more expensive option, is a steel sleeve. The steel sleeve, if done properly, will likely outlast you.

3. ACollin

ACollin In First Gear

Concours parts has the front drum for$250 -- hub is another $120. Since when did brake jobs get so crazy expensive. Add shoes, spring kit cylinders and you are bumping $2000.
    I have never heard of spray welding. Who does it -- what does it cost?

Can you tell me for what year vehicle did ford make a drum for 3" front shoes and bearings that would work with a 57 ranchero? I have a bit of detective work and I am more confused by the day
    Thanks

4. ribald1

As things get old and scarce, they get pricy.
    Most serious welders have a spray rig, either flame or plasma. The flame rigs are more popular as they are inexpensive.
    As to cost, well it does. That is why I mentioned push to shove.
    I guess you are trying to keep it original, but you won't do that on a beer budget. That is why so many do brake conversions.

5. ACollin

ACollin In First Gear

I assume you mean a conversion to disc brakes. I have not seen conversion kits for "14 wheels. Is a 15" wheel the only option. I have seen kits for $300 to $500 and $1000 to $1500 but all for 15" wheel cars.

I am not on a beer budget, but as nice as my car is, I do not want to chase the problem with my wallet. When I consider my method here, I am pretty confused.

There were alterations made to my car before I got it. The man/ seller is long dead and I have no idea what I have in the way of brakes and cannot imagine what he was thinking. The hubs seem to fit on my spindles-- the drums are deeper than 3"-- the rub on the backing plate. My rear drums are 2 1/2" deep-- deeper than stock. If I can figure out whatnI have I may be able to do something. I do not even know if my spindles are ranchero at this point.
    Thanks for the help-- but I need a reasonable direction to follow.

6. ribald1

Ford liked sharing parts across platforms back then, so there are going to be a lot of hubs that 'fit' your spindles, and a huge number of drums that will fit the hubs.
    Sounds like a poorly thought out attempt was made to improve braking on the car.
    As 10" disks are too small for that much weight, it looks like you have 2 options.
    Obtain stock brake equipment and install it, or go with 15" wheels and possibly a 1/4" spacer and disk brakes.
    Scarebird makes a kit for 14" wheels that should work, but I wouldn't recommend brakes that small for a daily driver.

7. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Going to add to the confusion. I have heard of guys using the spindle, rotor, and caliper from 1970 and 1971 Ford Torinos or Mercury Montegos because they ran 14" rims. I do not remember the specific differences that had to be addressed beyond having to ream the ball joint stud holes in the spindle to match the 57 ball joints. same as when converting to discs from a Grenada or Monarch that also used 14" rims. This problem has been discussed at length on the web site ( http://www.57fordsforever.com ) - - I would think it will be worth the effort to ask those guys how they beat this hurdle. I do know that having front discs on a 57 is so far superior to having drum brakes that you will wonder why you waited to change them out. I drove Ron Hurd's 57 with Grenada discs and it is an amazing difference in stopping power. Check that web site out !

8. ACollin

ACollin In First Gear

At this point, I am somewhat in a holding pattern on the longest brake job in history. Yesterday, I ordered 2 1959 ranchero front brake drums from CTC in Denton Texas. Their practices sound reasonable. I place the order-- they pull the drums-- they turn the drums and if they are up to standards, they charge my card and mail them to me. The order is canceled if the drum are found to be bad. It seems to me to be " no harm no foul".

Probably stupid of me to be asking this question now but, does this plan make sense to anyone who is watching this,post?

9. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Yeah I dealt with a place in Colorado like that that took it one step further, they would send the parts and if it was what you wanted then mail them a check, If not return it.

10. beerbelly

beerbelly In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If I were making this car into a daily driver, I wouldn't hesitate to find a disc brake kit (and wheels that fit) as my #1 priority. I mean, look at how people drive these days. I believe mid-60's V8 Mustangs had 14" disc brake steel wheels, but I don't know if that bolt pattern would work on your '57.

11. Hillbilly

12. ACollin

ACollin In First Gear

Update
    I appreciate all the help and the article. Disc swap is an option, but at this point I would prefer to find someone who did the swap and I would buy their " take offs". I contacted a 57 ranchero ad for sale who did the swap and says he still has his old parts, but he has to travel to his shed to see what he has and what condition it is in. If I can't source used stuff, may be biting the bullet and buying new hubs and drums is the way to go for me. It is over $600 for the fronts, but is probably better for me in the long run. All the chatter in that article about altering/ reaming spindles is beyond what I want to do. I know from prior experience, that many of these directions are a rabbit hole I would prefer not to go down. I already had two gambles in this venture that busted-- an initial turning that left the drums cockeyed and removing the hubs from the drums that also went sideways. I know it is not much money, but whatever the amount, I would prefer to spend it in the right direction and not toward more questions/ decisions. I am still waiting hear from CTC on those 1959 ranchero drums-- hopefully something later today.
    Thanks again--

13. ACollin

ACollin In First Gear

From the article: Apparently 1975-80 Grenada has the same bolt pattern as a 57 ranchero. Anyone try to swap on Grenada drums to your 57-59 ranchero?

Andrew

14. Hillbilly

75 to 80 Grenada and Monarch does have the same bolt pattern. All of them have front disc brakes just small enough to fit inside 14" rims. That is why that swap is popular. There are no front drum brake Grenadas. Rear drums from a Grenada are not compatible with 57 Ford backing plates and axel lengths.

15. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Are you just trying to keep it original ?, A disc conversion would probably be more economical and with the weight of your Chero it would make it a heck of a lot safer.

16. ACollin

ACollin In First Gear

I think I'm getting closer!!!!

Are front drums 2 1/2" deep for 2 1/4 " shoes?

17. ACollin

ACollin In First Gear

I guess I should have added : That would be for a 1957 ranchero.

18. grebaba

grebaba In First Gear

Hi
    I have done the Granada conversion on my 57 custom 300.
    To do it right you will need to get the spindles calipers brake lines and master cly off the Granada. I converted to power disks so I used the grnada booster. Total cost was $35.00 when I pulled the parts off the doner car at the junkyard.
    You will have to turn the spindle to the 57 spec's. I sent mine to Ffat Man Fabrication and he charger me $75.00 for the machine work. I week turn around after he recieved the parts.
    He sends you info on the install and even gives you the correct master cly. to order.
    The master cly was $40.00.
    The upgrade was well worth it and worth the money.
    Greg