60-63 Carb Choke

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Charlie63, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Charlie63

Charlie63 In Third Gear

The interior of my 63 has a choke knob, but the Autolite 1100 carb has an automatic choke driven by the heater hose. Do I have the wrong carb? Should it be Carter? I understand they had no automatic chokes.

2. mo.herbfarm

mo.herbfarm In Maximum Overdrive

Sorry I cannot answer decisively, but nonetheless what comes to mind is whether the choke cable installation appears to be factory-installed. Manual choke kits have always been available to defeat those pesky automatic schemes. mo.

3. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

It is not the original carb.
    That being 'wrong' or not depends on your point of view.
    If you want the vehicle to be original, it is wrong. If you don't and it works, then it is not.

4. Charlie63

Charlie63 In Third Gear

If the Autolite 1100 carb is not "original" to a 63, what was the original non-automatic choke carb?

5. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Charlie, even in Ashville it is not a warm enough enviroment to rely on only the heater hose warming up the choke. The time it would take to open a closed choke would have your engine running excessively rich way too much to be proper. If the knob on the dash matches the others I'd bet it came with a manual choke. If there are no provisions for heat tubes to the choke going thru the hot exhaust manifold , you are probably better off converting back to a manual choke. Someone here should have a photo of a correctly plumbed auto choke for you to check out.

6. Charlie63

Charlie63 In Third Gear

Yup, the problem I'm having is that the heater hose choke pull-off doesn't pull off even with the engine at full temp (no matter what position I rotate the choke cover).

I can push the choke plate open with my finger once the engine is hot, so I was sorta beginning to head down the path that something is causing a drag in choke housing spring and throttle plate.

With "Choke" factory marked on the dash and knob, I keep thinking I oughta have a manual choke cab,
    But as much as I've searched around on the internet, I can't find any reference to a manual choke carburator for the engine.

7. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

@ charlie63 ... I have seen kits in OReilly's and Autozone for conversion of auto to manual choke; you remove the black plastic cover and replace it with the kit part which has a lever on the side that will hook to your existing cable. Given you have the knob you must have the cable? Not as good or easy to use as a real manual choke, but you can force it to be either open or closed.

8. Charlie63

Charlie63 In Third Gear

I'll give those places a visit. Yes, I have the OEM knob & cable. Not sure what you mean by Not as good or easy to use as a real manual choke. After digging through my box of stuff, I found a single barrel manual choke Carter GR3806, which I think might work.

9. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

What BB meant is you have to think about and interact with a manual choke to get correct performance from it.
    Routine would go as = Push throttle to floor and while the pedal is down pull the choke knob out. As soon as the engine fires and runs consistently you begin pushing the choke knob back in slowly to open the choke. Every engine warms up to operating temperature at a different rate so you'll have to learn what your engine likes by trial and error. If your engine is already hot you probably won't need to use the choke when starting it. Old School tech. but you will use it second nature once you get used to how it works. Just remember, it isn't like your modern car and takes a bit of foreplay to get it in the mood to run for you. Aside from tech., make sure whatever carb you use has a working accelerator pump. Straight sixes really like that squirt of gas when being started cold.

10. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Ah ... what I meant is, the gizmo I'm talking about does not connect your dash knob directly to the choke butterfly like a 'real' manual choke; rather, it pushes on the existing bimetal coil in the auto-choke housing to fool it into thinking it is colder or warmer than engine temp would lead it to believe. It's a kluge, but then so is the entire auto-choke mechanism on the factory setup. I've used these on a few cars where I didn't like the way the stock choke worked.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-T...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1a296fef&vxp=mtr

11. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

All of my sources read that the Autolite 1100 with a manual choke was original to the Falcon/Fairlane sixes starting in 1963 with automatic chokes introduced in 1965 on select cars.

12. bnorwood

bnorwood In Third Gear

Original carb on at least the '60-'62 I6 engines was a Holley 1904. These come with a manual choke. Looks like for '63 Ford went to an internally produced carb (at least, my '63 supplement shows a "Ford single barrel carburetor" that was *available* with an automatic choke. Not sure what the part designation for this one was...

Brad