'61 Column shift carpet....

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by bnorwood, Mar 28, 2019.

1. bnorwood

bnorwood In Third Gear

All,

I ordered a carpet from Ecklers/Dearborn Classics. What arrived was the carpet that accommodates a floor shifter (which, obviously, I don't have).

My operating assumption is that the carpet for an automatic wouldn't fit either, since the tunnel is different (larger). That is correct, isn't it??

So. To those of you "out there" (probably less than a dozen of us...) that are absolutely resolutely convinced that we are going to keep our 3-on-the-tree, 6 cylinder drive line:

WHERE DID YOU FIND YOUR CARPET, if it wasn't Ecklers/Dearborn (which markets ACC carpet sets)?

Thanks,

Brad

2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Quit messing around with middle men. Call this number and tell the nice lady who answers what you need. ( 800-352-8216 ) Open 8:00 to 5:00 closed Saturday and Sunday. I am lucky enough to be close enough to just drive there and pick up my order after calling in my order. Completely satisfied customer here, I love ACC carpets !

colnago and 1965 Ranchero 66G like this.
  3. bnorwood

bnorwood In Third Gear

Well, first and foremost, ACC’s direct prices seem higher than from Ecklers/Dearborn Classics.

But in the second place, ACC *is* the vendor that said they DO NOT have the correct carpet. So while I appreciate your desire to be helpful, I need information from someone who has either found a CORRECT carpet set or modified another set to fit.

So what did my fellow I6/column shift compatriots do when faced with the need to replace the carpet??

4. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Well that was subtle, nice contact Hillbilly, wrote it in my book, thanks.

colnago likes this.
  5. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

I agree with Hillbilly and 66G. Go ahead and call them. It's a toll-free number. The worst they can do is say no. And if the direct cost is higher, isn't it worth it to get the right carpet? What did it cost to send the wrong carpet back to Ecklers?

Joseph

6. Hillbilly

No offense taken. You may try asking someone at the Comet East Car Club what they used. Early Comets shared the floor pans with Falcons and some members used ACC carpets in their immaculate 6/3 on the tree cars. Looked at the photos of the ACC carpet sets for your year and wonder what I am seeing. What is that odd bulge running the length of the driver's side of the trans. hump ? I have never seen a Falcon with that bulge in the metal of the trans. hump and that's after looking at plenty early Falcon drag cars with no carpet in them.

7. Hillbilly

As an aside, I kept the 3 on the tree in my wife's 57 Chevy even with the non syncro first gear because I like it. Reminds me of what driving used to be before cars became isolation chambers on wheels.

8. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

My folks had a '68 Dodge van with 3-on-the-tree. By the time I was old enough to drive, the synchro was just about worn out. I think a Sherman tank would have been easier to shift.

Joseph

9. bnorwood

bnorwood In Third Gear

Thanks guys. I guess I will go ahead and call ACC. The point is well taken, getting the right thing is more important than getting the best price!

But in general, am I not correct in stating that the trans hump is different for the automatic as a compared to the three on the tree?

10. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I don't know about 61, but 64/65 the floors are the same, with the exception of an ADDED hump to accommodate 4 speed floor shifters.

11. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

floor pan is same buy the column shift auto carpet

12. sportscape

sportscape In Second Gear

You want carpet for automatic, when they list manual it's becouse of the extra hump for the floor shifter. A side note I got my ACC carpet cheaper from a vendor on Ebay, it arrived with a packing slip from Rockauto, who was even cheaper.

13. Hillbilly

For me it is a case of time is money. I call in on Monday then go pick it up Tuesday evening. Also gives me a good excuse to stop in and visit my engine builder and check out what he is building.

HuevosRanchero likes this.