'62 - Interior restoration

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by 60To63Ranchero, Nov 11, 2012.

1. 60To63Ranchero

60To63Ranchero SITE SUPPORTER- GOLD

Greetings Ranchero Fans,

Have been waiting on an engine build for about six weeks, and probably more than a few more to go. So I thought I'd begin restoring the interior while I was waiting on the engine.

There was significant rust on the floor pans, but especially in the storage area behind the seats where the cab meets the bed. First, the old rusted floor pans had to be cut out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dearborn Classics sells replacement floor pans, but they don't go all the way to the back, so sheet metal had to be shaped for patching.

Finally the new floor pans were in, then seam sealed and primed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since the seat is out, it's a good time to do any electrical work. I'm going to upgrade the wiring with easily-accessible ATO fuse panels, a set of Jeg's LED toggle switches and a set of Autometer gauges. I'll include a toggle for an electric radiator fan in case I ever need one, and a spot for an A-F ratio gauge that will go in with my new exhaust.

[​IMG]

The switches and gauges should be coming in this week. I'm also considering a Custom Autosound stereo while I'm at it.

Thank you,
    Bob the Builder

2. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

thats going to be on ROCK SOLID ride when u r done!

3. DonC

DonC In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Looking good.

4. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

"I love it when a plan comes together." A Team, Hanibal Smith
    I LIKE IT!!!
    You`re doing a GREAT Job!!!
    Lookin` Good!

5. Preal

Preal In Second Gear

How did you put the factory looking seams in the sheetmetal.

This would be a pretty tempting way to save a couple hundred bucks on my floorpan restoration.

6. 60To63Ranchero

'62 interior restoration - continued

Half of the cable-type controls were missing or broken, so I did away with those and set up a Jeg's switch panel, with a switch reserved for a possible electric radiator fan and one for the heater blower motor (not currently installed):

[​IMG]

Replaced the old Sunpro gauges with new Autometer gauges, and put them into a four gauge cluster, with a spot reserved for a wideband A-F ratio meter:

[​IMG]

Sanded the dash after removing the ash tray, glove box cover, etc:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next steps were painting the dash, mounting the switch panel and gauge cluster, then installing new Custom Autosound / Rockford Fosgate stereo.

Bob the Builder

7. 60To63Ranchero

'62 Interior restoration - continued

Painted the dash with low gloss enamel for a "rat rod" look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Besides the Custom Autosound receiver, dual voice coil speaker in the center of the dash, and kick panel speakers, installed a Rockford Fosgate 250W mono amplifier and a sealed enclosure with a Rockford Fosgate 12" dual voice coil subwoofer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now working on installing FatMat (like Dynamat), then carpet, then the reupholstered bench seat.

Bob the Builder

8. Kev250R

Kev250R In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Lookin' good Bob!

Kevin

9. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

nice work Bob!

10. 60To63Ranchero

'62 interior restoration - stopping point

Covered the entire floor with FatMat - I believe it's as effective and durable as Dynamat, for significantly less cost:

[​IMG]Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The first carpet set I ordered from stockinteriors.com turned out to be incorrect for my Ranchero; seems that 3-on-the-tree Falcons and Rancheros use the same carpet as automatics, not the same carpet as 4-speeds. That's because 4-speeds have a hump on the transmission tunnel that automatics and 3-on-the-tree's do not. Stockinteriors.com was very helpful in the end, sent the correct carpet at a large discount with no shipping charges.

The carpet as it looks installed on both sides:

Months ago, I found a bench seat from a '62 Ranchero beside the road in East Texas. The upholstery and padding were shot, but I ordered a new seat cover (in Rangoon Red) from Dearborn Classics, and had a local upholstery shop install the seat cover.

That's all I'm going to do on the interior for now, because the 250 engine build should be ready soon, so I need to clean up and paint the engine compartment, set up the new bellhousing and torque converter and motor mounts, etc.

Eventually, I'll go through the door hinges, latches, and window regulators, then replace the door panels; replace the steering wheel; and replace the headliner.

Thanks
    Bob the Builder

11. DonC

DonC In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Great progress Bob, keep sending the pictures.

12. 60To63Ranchero

'62 - Interior restoration - cost

Seldom see anyone do this, but when I see major projects completed on a Ranchero, often wonder what the cost was. Decided to add up the cost of the interior restoration and post so others can have a point of comparison and know what they may be getting into.

Of course, some of my costs results from my limited skills; for example, if I could shape plain sheet metal into the complex shapes of floor pans, I could have saved $$$ on buying the Dearborn Classics floor pans; also, if knew how to do a first-class reupholstery job on the bench seat, I could have saved myself $275.

Nevertheless:

Front and rear, driver and passenger floor pans 616.03
    summitracing.com (Autometer Tach with mounting cup) 148.40
    jegs.com (brushed aluminum switch panel) 25.98
    summitracing.com (2-ATO 12-position fuse blocks) 61.85
    jegs.com (1-HD toggle, 1-three position toggle, 3-LED toggles) 71.97
    summitracing.com (Autometer oil press. and volt. gauges, four gauge cluster) 174.80
    '62 Ranchero bench seat frame 50.00
    Custom Audio (AM/FM/CD, DVC dash speaker, kick panel speakers) 432.96
    amazon.com (Rockford Fosgate amplifier) 97.99
    amazon.com (Rockford Fosgate subwoofer) 115.34
    bestbuy.com (sealed subwoofer enclosure) 32.16
    stockinteriors.com (carpet) 221.85
    dearbornclassics.com (bench seat covers) 343.40
    Cy-Fair Upholstery (install bench seat covers) 275.00
    ------

I sure there were several hundred dollars worth of wire, connectors, tie-wraps, etc. Also, could not find my receipts for the Autometer water temp gauge or the FatMat. With those and the small items, the project was easily pushing $3,000.

Still need to replace the steering wheel, go through the door hinges and latches, window regulators, door seals, door panels, and headliner, but all that will have to wait as I am now in the midst of the engine build.

Bob the Builder

13. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Oh Man, I dont want to know what it really cost, But I can tell you how much time it took.. Way TOO MUCH TIME.. LOL..

14. bnorwood

bnorwood In Third Gear

<SNIP>

stockinteriors.com (carpet) 221.85
    dearbornclassics.com (bench seat covers) 343.40

Bob,

Were you happy with the carpet and seat covers you purchased? I'm getting ready to do the same on my '61...

15. Mike

Mike In Overdrive

Since 60To63Ranchero hasn't posted since last April and considering that you're necroposting to a thread that is over three years old, it might be better to send him a PM.