62 Progress Update

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by DonC, Aug 18, 2011.

1. scbarger

scbarger Banner Maker

Then why even say that. You can't really say anything about quality of the work so that leaves the fact that the car not stock well it his car so it now up to DonC what stock is or what the car is. Ford lost that power when they sold the car in 1962.

Awesome ride man!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2011
  2. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

"I love it when a plan comes together" Hanabel Smith quote...
    That`ll be a BADD BOYY Don!!!!
    Impressed,
    Dennis

3. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I think he was saying he doesn't care for what Don is doing, which is his opinion. I'm sure that Don, being one of 9 adults on this forum, is OK with that. Most of the other people here,...if it's not positive comments, they take offense. Big babies.

4. DonC

DonC In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Even though my original intent was to keep the car as pure original as possible I just can't seem to do it, my Camaro also shows the same. The original car was a dog to drive and lacked power that should not be the case any longer. Anyway can't keep everybody happy, I respect those that can keep them bone stock, it's just not me.

5. DonC

Well I would rather hear you real feelings than this Bambi statement, or nothing at all.

6. Bart68

Bart68 In Second Gear

I like it, it's going to be a fun ride when your done.

7. steeread

steeread Guest

There's nothing wrong with what you're doing, or the quality of work. If you want to do wheel stands off the line on the drag strip, that's your prerogative. I just like cars that are restored as close as possible to what the door data plate says they were. No hard feelings at all.

What I see, is a bunch of really clean sheet metal, possibly worthy of a Barrett Jackson-type restoration, being turned into a weekend toy. How's that for Bambi?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2011
  8. Tim70ranchero

Tim70ranchero In Overdrive

I say make them the most fun for your $. you only live once , and enjoy everyday. Bada$$ looking ride you got going on sofar!!! I love it.

9. DonC

I understand, see them done that way all the time and respect and like them too.
    Not looking to do wheel stands myself, those days are over and left to the Camaro. I am looking to do more of a pro touring. A car I can run the AC in, get at least 20 miles per gallon and handles like it's on rails but will also do a decent quarter mile. The weight of these roundbody ranchero's make them an ideal fit for what I want and in my opinion have some very nice styling curves. In stock form the suspension is subpar as are the rearends. At least I am going Ford all the way. When I started the truck I really didn't like the Ford motors or tannies. I have gained a whole lot of respect fo the AOD in modified form using more modern ford tranny parts. I have also gained alot of respect for these 5.0 motors and the power they are capable of for such a small package. I haven't tried mine out but have read plenty about the 5.0. I also really like the 8.8 rearend, parts are very reasonable and plenty of these rears in the junkyard.
    I will also say I think I would be doing a whole lot less cussing if I had gone with a Chevy power train. Much less hassle and for the life of me I still can't figure out why Ford does some of the things they do.

10. steeread

steeread Guest

For those wanting more performance, there are a couple of resources for the six owners. One is from Ford, Shop Tips, called "Horsing around with the Mustang Six". The other is the Clifford's 6=8 website.

http://www.cliffordperformance.net/

If I ever deviate from stock, this is the way I'm going. No suspension mods, maybe some drivetrain mods to handle the extra torque.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2011
  11. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Do not really think any Falcon/Ranchero is really worthly of a Barrett Jackson-type restro... and when Don is done It will probley be worth more than any concorse restoration and it will cost about the same.

Great job Don!

12. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

After looking at what you are throwing under that hood(woah that makes it sound like your just putting whatever in there). Let me reword that, After drooling over the powerhouse of an engine you are crafting into that what kind of horsepower are you getting to the tires?

13. DonC

I built the 347 based on alot of good information in http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/138_0402_347_comp_cam_hydraulic_roller_cams/index.html. I have the larger of the cams in the article and also have the AFR 185 heads. I did notice the article didn't mention what heads were on the motor unless I missed it, the AFR's are said to be the best flowing heads right out of the box out off all available.
    If you go by the HP the 347 put out in the article mine ought to be close to 450 gross, take about 100 to 150 off of that for losses and that would put me around say 300 to 350 to the wheels. Should be a fun car to drive assuming the computer can handle the camshaft, it's supposed to but I'll see. I'll get it tuned as needed to make it work.

14. DonC

I see you slipped this in after my initial response so I will comment. I wouldn't call the sheetmetal clean, plenty of rust on this car had to be removed and replaced. The sheet metal is also very wavy and will be needing some work to get it straight. Yes this is a weekend toy exactly what I want. If these cars were worth big bucks in totally stock form I wouldn't have modified it at all, it was very stock before but can say it was no fun at all to drive.

15. 74Rancherito

74Rancherito In Fourth Gear

this is sooooooo true.....
    we like these cars for different reasons, so its obvious that our visions for the restorations will be equally different....

once again.....nice job Don C....

totally awesome!

16. steeread

steeread Guest

Quote: Do not really think any Falcon/Ranchero is really worthly of a Barrett Jackson-type restro... and when Don is done It will probley be worth more than any concorse restoration and it will cost about the same.

For one thing, how do you guys get the "quote box"?

For second thing, I think you all under-estimate the "attention to detail" factor. I'm sort of addicted to BJ auctions, and have seen many obscure, not-so-collectible cars with less than big-block drive trains, go upwards of $30,000.

I've seen Rancheros comparable to mine, but with Mustang II front ends or other mods, go for $15,000 right here in the Kansas City metro area. I feel like I stole mine for $6500.

Changed upholstery to original style, got some wheels and tires that put the speedometer right on, replaced a few trim pieces. Still needs a lot of work...painting the block, head and intake the right color, getting the front bedpan loose to change the shocks, replacing the Falcon underbody panning that makes previous task difficult. I've got gold-colored Autolite AutoFlex original shocks at the ready when previous work is all done.

Sorry if I'm rambling, but just want everyone to know where I'm coming from.

Third thing--DonC, I hope you enjoy many miles in your '62 'chero when you are finished.

17. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

[​IMG]

at bottom right of the post.

18. steeread

steeread Guest

Thanks for that. Still wish DonC the best of luck.

19. diggette

diggette In Maximum Overdrive

what he said!!! awesomeness :cool:

20. KenW.

KenW. In Fourth Gear

Nice work there DonC !!!
    Build what you want...I did as well!
    Regards,