64 automatic floor shift

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by All Fords 2, Dec 14, 2019.

1. All Fords 2

All Fords 2 In First Gear

hello does anyone know if Ford offered a factory automatic with a floor shift option in 64? I’m planning on putting a T5 behind my 302. If this was a factory option, I may keep the auto then. Any information will be very appreciated.

2. Ranchero Newbie

Ranchero Newbie In First Gear

I have a similar question, so I have no help with an answer. This is what I'm looking at, would a better restoration be with a column mounted shifter? This is a '65.

[​IMG]

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The floor shifter design for that '65 is aftermarket, and if you want to see what a factory one looks like, look at the Mustang ones, as all Mustangs are floor-shifted, whether auto or manual. Then look to see if the Internet has pics of the Ranchero dealer brochure, as that will tell you if an automatic floor shifter was offered.

4. Ranchero Newbie

Thanks, I will follow up on that.

5. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Never owned a '65, but from what I can see, they were column shifters. most floor shifters I have seen on those are aftermarket .

6. Ranchero Newbie

Thanks, this is not my ideal arrangement, but changing it back to a column shift will be expensive and complicated, so this will be low on
    priorities. Took out a micro loan to replace tires, fluids, fix steering in that order, then the seat which is down to wires. Speedometer cable
    not working, and the vintage radio was working, but decided to quit.

7. All Fords 2

8. All Fords 2

Thanks for the information.

FordR500GT likes this.
  9. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Auto floor shifters did exist in 64 Falcons and Rancheros. Most were in Falcon Sprint cars. For some reason photos of them are hard to find. It is easier to find photos of the full size 64 Galaxie 500 and XL floor shifters and consoles. The Falcon floor shifter and console are identical to the full size ones save they are just smaller to fit the proportions of the Falcon body. Still out there but very rare to find.

FordR500GT likes this.
  10. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Hillbilly saves the day

11. Ranchero Newbie

Next phase is tires and oil changes. I’m not too happy with the floor shifter, as it means whacking some poor bastard’s crotch if they are in the middle. On the other hand, I suspect the cost of finding a steering column and shifter will be like trying to find Noah’s Ark. Will post when the tires go on. Suspect the old oils will be like draining fudge. Not blowing any blue smoke, fortunately.

12. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Take heart in the fact that what you are looking for isn't as rare as the 64 1/2, 65 Mustang bench seat and column shifter. Hunt older junk yards that hate car crushers or possibly join one of the "Falcon" clubs and start networking, someone still has your parts and will be a willing seller.