64 Ranchero clutch swap...

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Dark Side Tom, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Dark Side Tom

Dark Side Tom In Second Gear BRONZE MEMBER

Been a real PIA!

Tough getting the trans back in, but finally successful.

Had to blow the factory T10 shifter and linkage apart to get it in, and remove the hand brake cable to have room. Couldn't get the knob off!

Also no fun getting the oddball rear trans mount in. Strangest setup I ever saw! What's up with the "cantilevered" rubber donut?

Anyway, back together. Put the hand brake setup back together. Uses the rear trans mount for connection!

Need to do exhaust system now. Bought a used set of factory cast iron manifolds to replace the rusty headers from the previous owner. Need to clean them up and paint with cast blast. No hope finding stock 260 Ranchero tail pipes! Too old and no volume for someone to bother making.

May wind up with flex pipes just to get connected. Anyone else use them in an old car?

Want to get back on the road with my fresh clutch and 3.55 rear gears!

Wish me luck! Turn 72 this year and currently need a hip. May be my last project car. A tad tough getting under these things any more!

DST

2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I went through the same trans mount replacement last year. It's just the way the factory designed it back in the 60's.

mount drawing.JPG Fixed.JPG

Kiwirancher and Carl Steinbarger like this.
  3. Dark Side Tom

Yup, same critter. Nice pic!
    Also like the info sheet. Feel better that I got it right.

Thank you!

Tom

4. colnago

colnago In Third Gear

beerbelly,

Great photo, great info sheet, and great timing. I have to re-do that portion of the transmission mount on my '64, and haven't found reliable information on how it goes together. I do have one question, though. On the info sheet, it shows the leaf spring assembly going down. On the photo, it shows the leaf spring assembly going up. Is that just "one of those things" on a 50-year-old vehicle, or is your application different than the info sheet?

Joseph

5. Dark Side Tom

Goes in like the photo. Thin rubber washed on top, stacked leeaves next, flat piece last. You'll be able to tell by the hole sizes in the pieces.

DST

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  6. colnago

colnago In Third Gear

Got it. I'm going off of memory, but I think mine is assembled like the info sheet, but only with the rubber insulator between the leaf springs, so there's a gap between the top (flat) leaf spring and the support bracket. I think I also saw a photo on Google like my setup, but with another rubber insulator between the top leaf spring and the support bracket (total of two insulators). The PO of mine did some weird stuff, though, so I'm never certain whether I'm fighting his good intentions or fighting the original Ford design.

Thanks for the clarification.

Joseph

7. beerbelly

Yeah, that confused me too, but everything went together just like it was previously. I suspect that drawing may show a 6-cylinder mount vs. a V8. Or maybe the drawing was done before the specs were completed. Here's where I got my rebuild kit:
    https://www.mustangsetc.com/61-65-falcon-comet-transmission-mount-rebuild-kit/

If you don't already have one, I HIGHLY recommend you get a shop manual; it was the first thing I did after buying my Ranchero, and that's where this drawing came from. Here's a good price for a hardcopy on ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Comet...=item26142d4fc2:g:EkEAAOSwB0hcaD0X:rk:15:pf:0

8. colnago

colnago In Third Gear

BeerBelly,

Here's a picture of mine. This is with a C4 tranny. Is this wrong? There doesn't seem to be enough room to flip it all over, but there's at least a 1/2" gap between the upper leaf spring and the bottom of the bracket.

Joseph

Attached Files:

9. beerbelly

Sorry, I can't help you if you have a C4. But that gap seems pretty excessive; it almost look like everything should be flipped over.

10. Dark Side Tom

tail1.JPG
    Here's mine, on the tail of a T10. Looks like you're missing the insert that belongs inside of the short cross member. Near the spring end there's a bolt. one on the other side too. Holds the rubber mount inside. The long bolt threads into it and pulls the stack up.

11. Dark Side Tom

Notice the small cross member above the stack of leafs, held in with a horizontal bolt on each side. Yours missing??

DST

12. Dark Side Tom

Here's a better pic from a different car. Note the small cross member above the stack. Yours missing??

Attached Files:

13. beerbelly

You mean this one??

Fixed.jpg

14. colnago

colnago In Third Gear

I'll try to get better pics today. From your pics, the multi-leaf spring pack goes on top. Mine is, as well, but my multi-leaf pack is straight instead of curved. I'm wondering if mine is missing the upper insulator, which is letting the whole thing droop about 1/2", which would cause the gap I'm seeing. Hopefully, I'll know a bit more later today.

Joseph

15. colnago

colnago In Third Gear

I just crawled under again, and it does appear that the upper insulator is in place. I noticed my multi-pack springs have a minor curve down. I could flip them, and maybe that would close the gap, but then the short leaf spring is on the bottom of the pack, not the top. So, my next step is to ask Mr. Google. Maybe I can find a Falcon or Mustang site that will enlighten me.

Joseph