64 ranchero Tie rod ends question

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by tariko, Nov 22, 2017.

1. tariko

tariko In Second Gear

Does anyone know the part number for the tie rod ends on the 64 with the 4.3 engine ?
    any recommendations on where to find them will be appreciated.
    I have been searching for them locally and online and so far everything i got that was supposedly a fit ended up been different than the original ones in the car. the ones i am able to find are either bent to 1 side or have a smaller stud diameter.
    IMG_5619.JPG IMG_5620.JPG

2. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Try rockauto.com, under ranchero, 4.3. steering, tie rod end

3. plumcolr

And a PS: almost all components on a 64 - 65 chero are the same as a Falcon station wagon or sedan delivery similarly equipped.

4. tariko

tariko In Second Gear

thanks plumcolr, i actually looked at those but what they ve got listed as inners look very different than what came off mine. they don't provide any measurements neither. i emailed them to see if i can get any measurements of the rods and the studs but they just keep sending their generic reply stating that if it's listed for the car i am looking for it should fit. I will probably just order them and see if they re the same, that's the only way to tell for sure.
    here is a pic of what they list as inner.
    [​IMG]

5. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The pictures are often just a representative image.
    Cross check the part number, if the part number is correct get it, if it ends up being wrong they are very helpful with finding the correct part. you have to understand why they don't want to deal with every nervous customer, as that is all they would do all day.
    I have found that they are very good about dealing with issues with parts that have been purchased.

6. tariko

tariko In Second Gear

good to know they re helpful. will give em a try and hopefully will get the right parts. I didn't anticipate the tie rod ends will be this much difficult to find. i am rebuilding the front end and was able to find everything else.

7. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

64 & 65 steering on the v8 cars is different------64 uses one set of parts and 65 uses a completely different set.

I am not sure, but if the steering knuckles and spindles are the same on both cars (I do not know) the best thing to do would be to change it all over to the 65.
    The 65 has better geometry than the earlier ones and is one year only.
    This applies to only the v8 cars

8. plumcolr

Agreed. But 64 v8 chero and 64 v8 falcon are identical. Likewise 65 chero and falcon v8 use same suspension parts but different from 64.