'64 rear end

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by Lulu2, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Lulu2

Lulu2 In Third Gear

Hey folks! It's been quite a while since I've been on the forum. A lot has happened in the last three years. My wife and I have both changed jobs and moved to new area and, perhaps the best change, we have also had our first child. Anyway I'm finally getting some time to put back into my '64. I'm wondering what rear end came under a '64 with a 260 v-8 and if there is a disc brake kit for it? Thanks for the help and I hope to be on the forum a little more now.

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

With an older vehicle it is best to identify what it has as things can get changed over time. Locate the tag on the rear end, or post a picture of the back of the rear end.
    Disk conversions exist for all the modern Ford rear ends, you won't notice much difference with rear disk though as most of the braking is done by the front wheels. A conversion to front disk is well worth the trouble if that hasn't been done already.

3. Lulu2

Lulu2 In Third Gear

I'll see if I can find the tag or get a picture up as soon as I can. Thanks for the help.

4. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

More than likely its a 8 inch
    But if 4 wheel disc is what you are after you can actually swap in a an exploder rear end with some minor modifications

5. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

I'd have to say for a driver that you only need the front disc conversion.
    I have 4-wheel discs on my 59 Elky and am not all that impressed with the performance of them.
    Thinking of removing them and going with just the fronts and hydroboost.
    (thought this would be a cool route to go as my 97 T-Bird with 4-wheel stopped GREAT)
    Used a factory 72 Chevelle front disc on my 66 Elky and cannot be more pleased---just thinking about it will make that car stop.

Bought some brackets from Scarebird (I think) for my 65 Ranchero---Caddy calipers and Toyota rotors (hubs need machining for rotors to fit)
    Little car stops just fine with no power assist----also the "darting" when the brakes are first applied is gone.
    Used a Master cylinder for a Mustang II
    The brackets were under $100 and by piecing it out, I could buy the stuff as finances permitted.

The big upside to this-----no need for a front end alignment when you are all done---your factory v8 spindles will stay in place.

Lulu2 likes this.
  6. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If it was a stock (original) 260 then the original rear was an 8-inch

Lulu2 likes this.
  7. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

PS I would agree the drum rears with good front disks will give you more stopping power than you will ever need.

Lulu2 likes this.