65' Front end "clunk" Harsh Ride

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by AimlessMoto, Mar 25, 2020.

1. AimlessMoto

AimlessMoto In Fourth Gear

Got the Ranchero out on the roads and it cruises beautifully.

However, even the shallowest pot-hole or rift in the pavement can cause a clunk. It's more on the driver's side... Doesn't matter what speed you're traveling.. but it doesn't seem to unsettle the track, so I'm figuring it's not wheel bearings or ball-joint related.

That, and the ride is unexpectedly harsh! Bumps kinda bash the front end around...

I've had it up on jack stands on the sub-frame and don't notice anything loose or touching... no witness marks of any kind, and I did give the chassis a full once-over and greased all the fittings I could find (yes I got the inner a-arms inside the spring towers), and put a wrench on everything to make sure it was all tight.

Kinda at a loss. Any other ideas as to what could clunk around?

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Strut bushings and associated cross member attachment area?

3. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Overdrive

What condition are the shocks?

4. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Strut bushings and associated cross member attachment area?
    +1

5. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Check the top shock mount, Also very carefully check the shock tower for cracks. Also possible the upper control arm mount to the shock tower is moving around. Check it's tight to the tower and alignment shims haven't come out.

6. AimlessMoto

Spent a good 30 minutes under the ol'girl.

No cracks anywhere. Power steering piston is a bit leaky. No play in anything. Shims are in place behind the upper a-arms. Tops of the shock towers are good and tight. No bushings on the lower body of the shock where it mounts to the a-arm, upper bushing looks good.

Shocks are 15 years old, but the car has been sitting on blocks for 10 of them.

No play in the wheels.

Stumped.

7. beerbelly

Have you checked both ends of the strut rods?

all front end out.jpg

8. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

+1 on shocks, they could have an internal failure. Pull them and compare both fronts with compression test.

9. The Wrench

The Wrench In Second Gear

AmlessMoto You mentioned that you had no lower shock bushings. There should be 4 lower small round rubber bushings on each shock. If you have none on each front shock bottom that is your rattle and it doesn't take much of a bump to make it rattle. The Wrench

10. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Ball joints, perhaps?

11. AimlessMoto

BeerBelly - Yup! Tight and adjusted properly.

TheWrench - Good to know. The bottom of the shocks have pressed-in studs that go through the little cross bar into the top of the A-ARM... are the bushings supposed to be in the cross-bar or on either side of the stud 'through' the crossbar?

12. The Wrench

On the two studs on the bottom of the shock there should be a rubber washer on each stud before putting them in the mounting holes in the cross bar and a rubber washer on each stud and a metal washer on each and then the retaining nuts. The Wrench

13. AimlessMoto

The rubber washer on the passenger side is there, but it looks like old electrical tape, all squished and torn. The shocks to the cross mount are metal on metal.

14. The Wrench

AimlessMoto, it is probably time to replace those front shocks and rubber bushings. When you replace them let us know if your noise goes away. The Wrench

15. AimlessMoto

Can I remove the shocks out of the top of the towers without removing the springs?

16. The Wrench

Yes they do come out the top and you DO NOT have to remove the springs. I have found if you place a floor jack under the lower control arm it will be easier to get to the lower shock nuts . The Wrench

17. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Can we verify what year car you are talking about? Getting some bad info here, probably bacause of years getting mixed-up.

If you have a '71-ish front suspension, there are no lower rubber mount washers, they bolt directly to the front suspension. Refer to pic in post #7, the bottom of the shock bolts directly to the center spring mount. It does have rubber washers at the top bolt.

18. AimlessMoto

Title says it... 1965'

19. beerbelly

Here's the Monroes I have on mine. They come with rubber washers for both sides of the bottom studs, as well as both sides of the top stud.

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 1.02.07 PM.png driver side suspenion in.jpg

The Wrench likes this.
  20. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Speaking of front ends, what is the tried and true method of pulling the upper control arm as far relieving tension off the coil spring.
    I know there are spring compressors for this but was wondering if anybody has another method.
    I hate to buy a tool that I will use once.