65 ranchero running hot

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by Robert Valentine73, May 8, 2018.

1. Robert Valentine73

Robert Valentine73 In First Gear

My 65 ranchero will set and idle all day and not get hot. As soon as you start driving temp goes up until it blows water pass the radiator cap. Just rebuilt heads new head gaskets. Still does same thing. Any ideas no fan shroud on truck still running plain water.

2. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

You should run a fan shroud, that would help, but it sounds like your radiator is partly plugged.

3. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

ribadi could be right sounds like your radiator is partly plugged. also coolant can be a big help

4. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

You should never run straight water even 5 percent antifreeze will help
    Antifreeze is also a rust inhibitor boil over protection lubrication for water pump seal.

5. Robert Valentine73

Thanks shroud and cleaning radiator were nexted on my list and I will put antifreeze in as soon as I can get it to run more than 5 miles without loosing all its water.

6. Robert Valentine73

The heads used plugs for a 72 to 78 302 or 351 not sure if block has been changed out may have to put a over flow tank on it also.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  7. ribald1

If you use a corrosion inhibitor, pure water is far and away the most efficient thing you can put in your radiator.
    Unless you live in an area where you are subject to freezing, don't waste money on antifreeze and all the hassles getting rid of it properly entails.
    Use a product like No-Rosion.

8. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

The cooling passages in the early SBF's (60's up thru 71) had BLOCK cooling holes directly in the center over the top of each cylinder bore, with a corresponding hole in the head, where the later blocks have the coolant holes to the upper right of each bore. Physically the heads will bolt on, but the coolant passages do not line up, causing overheating. The block can be drilled (by hand) to correct this. Any chance you still have the old gaskets? You might be able to see the impressions of the passages. I'm gonna imagine you did put the gaskets on correctly, with the word "front" facing forward, right?

9. ribald1

There are witness tabs on the head gaskets that stick out either in the front of the engine or on the side at the front that show when the gasket is installed properly.
    If you look at the old head gasket, or a picture of the new one you will see the tab.

10. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Might have a look at the rad cap to make sure it is 1)sealing 2)holding proper pressure.

11. Robert Valentine73

I have read you had to drill out the block to use 289 heads on a 351 block to raise compression. I do know all the holes on the gaskets lined up with the holes in the block. I may have 302 head on a 289 block would this cause the same problem

12. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive

Check to see if the lower radiator hose is collapsing

13. Robert Valentine73

I have never heard of putting one head gasket metal side down and the other side metal side up but that is what you do on this ford. Looks like I have the passenger side on wrong. At least I figured it out before buying a new radiator. Should of watched the video before than after. Thanks to everyone for the help never run into this on a chevy.

14. ribald1

There are companies who make side specific head gaskets for Fords, and there are non specific gaskets made for Chevys.

15. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Good find.
    While the heads are off, check to make sure the water holes in BOTH the head and block are in the same location. The holes in the gasket will line up on the block (the gaskets are the same) but the holes in the head and block may not be compatible. Good luck.

16. T16592

T16592 In Fourth Gear PLATINUM MEMBER