65 Ranchero

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Tee Jay, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Tee Jay

Tee Jay In First Gear

Hello all. I've recently purchased a 65 Ranchero and am planning to put a 302 crate motor in it. It has apparently had a mustang II front end put under it. I've also revcently acquired a limited slip 373 rear end for it that will need to be shortened. Are there any recommendations from any of yas as to which Transmission for it. I'm thinkin either a C4 or C6 AOD transmission. Now my question to all you experienced Ranchero builders out there is: Is this a good combo for this car? The engine is a stock 302 crate motor from Summit Racing HP99F rated at about 235HP.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If you do that 3.73, you definitely will want the AOD if you want to street drive it. You could also do a 4R70W with a standalone controller, which would give you the option of using differing shift programs for street driving vs. track runs.

3. Tee Jay

Tee Jay In First Gear

Thanks Andy. I'm not real familiar with controllers. Is that a computerized piece of equipment?

4. handy_andy_cv64

Yes it is. The 4R70W is the computer-controlled version of the AOD, so it needs some kind of brain box to make it properly work, but it does eliminate the 'kickdown lever' and the 'throttle valve' cable used on non electronic gearboxes.

5. sportscape

sportscape In Second Gear

I don't think a c6 will fit the factory trans tunnel.

6. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Overdrive

My '65 has a 302/C6/3.73 combo and I would steer you away from the C6 because it sucks-up too much HP to run (a minimum of 50HP) and if you plan to use the 3.73 rear end and do any freeway driving you'll want something that has OD in it....an AOD will work but you need to "open up", i.e. beat on, a couple of places on the trans tunnel to make it fit properly. My plans are to go with a C4/Gear Vendors combo in the future....BUT $$$!

7. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Second Gear

i got a 4r70w in my 72, with msd controller easy to set up. really pleased with it.

8. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

There is always T-5 swap option.Third pedal setup shouldnt be to hard to find..

9. handy_andy_cv64

What was the cost for doing that MSD controller? I'd like to have an overdrive trans when I regear the differential to a higher numerical ratio, but I was going to go with just an AOD; if I could do a 4R70W, then I'd already be a few steps ahead when I convert Babe over to EFI.

10. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

"I'm thinkin either a C4 or C6 AOD transmission."

Just to be clear, a C6 is not the same as an AOD. There is no "C6 AOD" transmission. It should be "C4, C6, or AOD transmission."

Joseph

11. Gammz

Gammz In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

I’d vote for the AOD. Or ya could put some taller gears out back with a c4. However the AOD would fit the bill quite nicely and keep that performance with that rear gear