67 390 engine stamps

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Saff54, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Saff54

Saff54 In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Afternoon all,trying to figure out if my 390 is number matching,where would I locate the stamping?replaced the oil pump and screen which I thought was the issue when I lost oil pressure (earlier post),well started it up today,oil pressure great,heard a knock in the lower end,mechanic thinks it’s bearings,I have a chance to get a rebuilt 390 ready to swap out but if it’s matching numbers I’m gonna pull the original motor and have it gone through,as always thanks in advance for any help or advise

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Usually the partial VIN is stamped on the driver side, back of the block, on a machined flat pad just below the head. A good light and a mirror, and a cloth to clean the area are invaluable. Typical stamping is the parts of the VIN that note the year, assembly plant, and sequential number, these should match the same fields as your VIN. I've seen them on most cars post 1965 although I have run across some that didn't seem to have the number stamped on the engine. You should be able to locate it, but don't be too terribly surprised if it isn't there.

3. Saff54

Saff54 In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Could not find any marking,pulling the motor next week,gonna keep it,short of the knocking,light rapping when revved everything seems good,gonna replace the lower end(crankshaft,bearings etc)oil pressure was great,never been that good,pan had a good 1/2” sludge at the bottom of the pan which leads me to believe my ex mechanic never pulled the pan and the screen was filthy,my new mechanic said the cork gasket was hard to scrape out so obviously it hasn’t been removed for a long time,had some plans for the exterior trim over the winter but gonna cancel that,gotta make sure it’s mechanically sound,in the end chrome don’t get ya home!thanks 72 for your input,be safe

4. 72GTVA

Once you have it out you'll probably be able to see the stamping - although I've heard a few of the western assembly plants were sort of notorious for not having the engines and transmissions stamped - also heard they got fined for it as it was part of a mandated scheme to help reduce thefts and chop shop activities (I know, not possible...)

Reads to me that you are making a good decision - and your ex-mechanic didn't do you or himself any favors.

Good luck with the getting it straightened out!!!

5. 72GTVA

This might help:

[​IMG]