67 Single Piston Brakes

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Alans67Rancho, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Alans67Rancho

Alans67Rancho In Second Gear

When trying to find replacement calipers for my 67, I can only find Kelsey Hayes 4 piston big block calipers online. My car has single piston calipers that I've already rebuilt. The car appears to have a drum brake master so I'm guessing the car originally had front drums and someone swapped disc's on at some point. Has anyone else seen this? Could they be from a front disc Fairlane? I'll get a picture of it sometime today... I wonder what it would take to install the 4 piston calipers.

2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If you've already rebuilt your single piston calipers, you should know if you used Ford parts and what year/model they came on, right? Are you not happy with the ones you have?

3. Alans67Rancho

I was waiting for someone to say that lol. I rebuilt the calipers over a year ago. I don't remember how I got the seals but I'm guessing I looked them up by piston size and not by application. I'm happy with them but I need to know what model the components came from so I can replace the rotors and pads. They're shot. So I guess I totally misled yall by the first post but I'm after new pads and rotors and I was using the pictures of calipers as a comparison tool. I'm guessing the spindle assembly is off a 70's mustang but I don't have a way to confirm that yet. I'm going to remove a caliper and rotor and take them to Summit Racing tomorrow and see if an old timer in there can identify them.

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The rotor should have measurements cast into one side of the hub or the other, allowing you to narrow it down; those components usually came from an early '70s Mustang/Cougar or a mid-to-late-'70s Granada/Monarch

5. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Your post brings up some problems ... changing to a 4-piston caliper would just about certainly mess-up your brake calibration (?) likely requiring a custom balancing rig. I assume you can switch to a p/b master cylinder -- which would also require some plumbing parts at the front. It surprises me a bit to hear that your combo of parts works OK. Do you already have power brakes, or intend to install a booster?

6. Alans67Rancho

Im not wanting to change to a 4 piston. I was simply saying thats all I can find for a 67 Ranchero when searching. My current setup does not work properly but hasnt been a problem (for me) since I havent ever driven the car. Ive got a booster and disc mc on order.

7. Alans67Rancho

We're 99% sure its for a 68-70'ish mustang. Pics online look identical. Going to compare in person at the store.

8. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

67's had disk available... NAPA had them for my "69. Should be the same for yours

Caliper part #SE4564
    Caliper Hardware: 82105A

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  9. handy_andy_cv64

OK. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they are, as there's nothing more frustrating than trying to sleuth out parts that aren't stock to your rig, because someone used what was at hand.

Alans67Rancho likes this.
  10. Alans67Rancho

Hey I emailed you some photos to post earlier today. I'm thinking they didn't get delivered though... :/

11. handy_andy_cv64

My phone didn't notify me, so I'll go check.

Edit: Found them. I should have them resized and back to you by tomorrow.

12. handy_andy_cv64

All done, and resized ones on their way back.

13. Alans67Rancho

I wasnt trying to get after you. Ive been having problems with my iphone5 (old and tired and glitchy) and sometimes it doesnt do what I tell it. Thanks again Andy...

Heres a shot of the rotor and caliper. Im pretty confident at this point that its mustang brakes.

IMG_0016 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0017 (640x480).jpg

14. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive