67 taillight/brake light

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Saff54, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Yupp I did,no power to it

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

And, of course, there could be an open between the switch and the socket, did your friend happen to check both sides of the pigtail connector under the column?

3. Saff54

Bringing it to him on Wednesday I'll let you know what he finds

4. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

yeah, those connectors can "turn green" with corrosion. it might take a little work to get in female end cleaned up.

5. Saff54

Hey guys,stopped by to see the Chero on my way home,figured id stick my fat head under the dash one more time,checked the connector coming out of the column,looked all new like it had been re-done,couldn't get the connector out completely but I pushed it in to make sure it was tight,pushed on the other connectors in my reach,pulled the flashers and plugged back in ,got out(with a little bit of a struggle)turned on the right directional and it worked!grabbed a stick I made up to depress the brake pedal and it worked!not sure what it was that was causing the problem but it's working!went by my friends garage to tell him and he thought it had to be the connector coming out of the column,as usual thank you all for your help and suggestions,I would be lost without you,now gotta get the patio furniture put away seeing Jose is coming up the coast!

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It's fairly common to have a connection that's not all that tight, sometimes it can be pulled at some point, sometimes it's just heating from 'loose-ish' terminals, sometimes it's the lightest thin layer of corrosion, and it causes an open in the circuit.

7. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Hopefully you got it fixed & good luck with Joe.

8. Saff54

Hey guys I wish I had some one there when I was tweaking each connector to nail down which one it was but glad it's working,there were some wires hanging low so I cable tied them up and out of the way of the brake and gas pedal,hopefully no more electrical issues

9. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Just for kicks, put your stick back on the brake pedal and cycle the turn signals with the parking lights on. Then you will know.

10. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Hot Sh*t !! And at least you know where (approximately) the problem was - either the main column plug, or one of the flasher plugs/prongs. Saves a bunch of hunting if it ever happens again. And you know, Murphy says it probably won't, 'cause you know where to look now. :confused:

11. Saff54

Fingers crossed!