67 wiper motor

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by Saff54, May 8, 2017.

1. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

did you try going back to the original hook up with out the INTERMITTEN CONTROL i had a bad one of those out of nos box

2. cbolt

cbolt In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

i don't have an intermittent control. The wipers work for about 3-5 seconds, sometimes less, then just stop. If I walk away and come back, they will work again for the same short amount of time. Weirdest thing I have seen electric motor wise. I haven't been able to figure out exactly what is going on, but no amount of wire wiggling under the dash or under the hood seems to make a difference. They just stop.

3. andrewok1

you where joking when you said i have intermittent wipers ,my bad

4. cbolt

I should have said they work intermittently. Sorry for the confusion

5. Saff54

Saff54 In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

Yike s keep your fingers crossed!

6. cbolt

Okay, I am still stumped. I suspect the part is not correct for the car, because the new wiper motor acts just like the old new wiper motor... it runs for a very short period of time then quits. Walk away and come back, it will run for a short amount of time and quit. I cannot see the wiring causing this problem, but I have no idea what would cause this problem. Anyone ever have wipers act this way before?

7. Jeff B

Jeff B In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Is there any chance that there is a circuit breaker for that circuit that has been added to the line somehow? I think I have even seen ones that will snap into the fuse block. They will break/open when overloaded and after a bit cool off and close.
    They are not that big and would be real easy to hide in a bunch of wires under your dash. breaker.jpg cbreaker.jpg

andrewok1 likes this.
  8. cbolt

Maybe, I have no idea. Ill have to go looking for something like that. I know the wires all read good between the switch and the motor. But I haven't checked the switch to motor wiring since I put it back together........ Ill have to give that a go today.

9. andrewok1

I was thinking the same thing JeffB !! a motor with worn out brushes can act that way also

10. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Hook up an idiot light (test light) to the power wire right at the wiper motor - if it loses power go back up the trail until you find it.

11. cbolt

good idea pmrphil.... ill try it momentarily

12. Jeff B

Jeff B In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

We just don't really know what a previous owner(s) and time may have done to our trucks. Mine had a few "extra" wires running here and there that
    I still don't have a clue what they were for.

13. andrewok1

ground the motor with a new ground wire,have you tried that ??

14. cbolt

Okay, I solved it. Turns out the connector on the back of the switch was defective. I used a fine emery cloth and some alcohol, along with some dielectric grease and got it all cleaned up and working as advertised. There was enough corrosion inside the female side (wiring side) at the connector it wasn't allowing sufficient voltage to go through it consistently.

Andy, the motor is grounded to the cowl via one of the mount bolts. I did in fact bypass that earlier since that is the one anchor nut that is very rusted and stripped, causing a bad ground.

Once I get the windshield properly sealed I can now put the interior back in the car..... I just have to figure out the trick to removing the trim without wreaking havoc on the stainless and/or seal itself. I haven't mastered the trim removal tool yet.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Jeff B likes this.
  15. Saff54

Hey cbolt,glad it worked out,we have a local oreillys that stocks them here too so gonna attempt to do it this weekend,hopefully it just works and I don't have any issues but of course if I do I kkow who to text!have s great weekend guys

16. cbolt

It's a relatively simple job saff... you should have no issues. I always seem to struggle most taking the stupid wiper arms off. After that it should be smooth sailing. Good luck!

17. Saff54

Thanks cbolt,once I saw the clip you posted it made sense ,as long as it works as planned I should have wipers that wipe!appeciate all the guidance you guys give me,been having so much fun driving it now if I can get my wife to stop bugging me about driving it I'll be good!