68 390GT progress

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by Unclebrad, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Unclebrad

Unclebrad In Third Gear SILVER MEMBER

Finally got brake parts and started the job.
    IMG_3506.JPG

Cindy, Lincolnut and HuevosRanchero like this.
  2. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Nice find!Does it have factory bucket seats?We need more pics.Love the FE motors.

Cindy likes this.
  3. Unclebrad

Thanks. I love just walking out in the morning and seeing it sitting there.
    Alas, no buckets, although I may eventually see if I can find a set. (Not sure if that is considered bastardizing it too much though.)
    It has a column shifter as well, and I suppose I could really get carried away and convert to console.
    But there are many, many other, important tasks to be done before I start thinking about that.
    I'll keep posting as I go along.

Cindy and Bicklebok like this.
  4. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

sweet.

5. Unclebrad

I posted this note in another thread, but am thinking this is where it belongs.
    I put some money down on a parts car yesterday. 1968 390GT. Pretty straight body. Very rough interior. (automatic with bench seat) It actually has a lot less rust than mine.
    Kind of a shame to cannibalize it. In fact, the idea did occur to me that I could move parts from my car onto it. Or even do a body swap. (Anyone done that? Pros?? Cons??)
    It currently has a 351 in it (not running,) and no trans. At this point, I figure I will take what I need off of it and then sell whatever else I can, to recover some of the purchase cost before sending the carcass off to the junkyard. I may put a post in the "Parts" forum at some point, but I don't want a junker sitting around for very long, and will move it out as soon as I can. In the meantime, if any of you are in N. California, feel free to ask if I might have something you need.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    Cindy likes this.
  6. Unclebrad

I just about have the parts car completely disassembled. Haven't sold much so far because I've been too beat too deal with it. I'll post again on Craigslist (SanFrancisco) in a couple weeks.

I've been tinkering with the steering column, since mine has an issue with the neutral safety switch, and I figured I could learn about the way it all works by playing with the donor car column. That was a smart move.

As it turns out, the problem with my switch was not that it didn't work, but that the plastic Column bushing that it screws into was broken. One of the screw hole sections is not there. I have looked all over the place, and have found no one who makes a reproduction or carries NOS. I have found the lower bushing, but not this one that is the anchor for the neutral safety switch.

The donor car part is better than my original, but still not very good. Rats. I tried "welding" some of the plastic (nylon?) to build up the screw holes, and re-tapping them,and that sort of worked.
    [​IMG]

But I had another idea. Being an ex-animator, I have a program here that can also do 3D modeling.

SO... I modeled one in 3D, using the one from the donor car as my template, which will be better than the original because I am not trying to save a penny one each one that I make, like Ford will have done when they made our cars. And have sent the file off to be 3D printed. I am pretty sure that this first one will need some tweaks, but should have my prototype in a week or two.
    [​IMG]

This will be pretty exciting if it works out.

Also, I may have a spare neutral safety switch, since I went and bought another one before realizing the issue with the bushing. I'll let you know...

Attached Files:

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  7. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

you have a good talent 3d wow ,very kool

8. C_garabedian89

C_garabedian89 In Second Gear

What program did you use?

9. Unclebrad

I used Maya.

Got the first "print" a couple days ago. It is true to the 3D model.
    Hopefully, I will get it into the steering column this week, and see if there are any tweaks that need to be made.
    IMG_4224 lo.jpg

I have also been working on modeling copies of the stanchions for the "coffin molding" that is on my ranchero. Not quite as simple as the bushing so may take a while.

If it goes well, I could have them printed in stainless steel and not have to deal with the pitting chrome. Probably wouldn't be cheap to print those though...
    IMG_4225 lo.jpg

BTW, anyone have anything showing that the railing (coffin molding) was a dealer option?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Cindy and HuevosRanchero like this.
  10. 71 Whitesale

71 Whitesale In Fourth Gear

That is cool! Wish I had access to that process!

11. Unclebrad

Yeah, it is pretty neat, although a lot of hours goes into modeling something, even as small as the bushing.

But seeing the final product is very satisfying and kinda makes me fantasize about making up a bunch of unavailable parts and starting up a little business.

Of course, then I wouldn't be able to spend time on the Ranchero. Gotta keep the priorities straight.

12. Cindy

Cindy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

How's the eyebrow trim on your parts car? Or are you using it on yours? Im in Antioch and would drive over the hill to Concord to take a look if your extras are for sale and in good shape. -Cindy

13. Unclebrad

I haven't looked at it in a while. I know mine need to be replaced, but aren't terrible. As I recall, the spares are no better. Let me dig around in the garage and see if I kept them.

14. Cindy

Okay, no big rush. Thanks!

15. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

That 3D printed part is very cool! Be sure to let us know how it works out.

16. Cindy

...might also be needing a package tray, if your parts car still has it, and if you don't need it...

17. Cindy

Bradleeee....I have decided that I MUST have coffin moldings like yours.

18. Unclebrad

They are pretty neat, although I don't think you can have them AND a hard cover at the same time. I'm still not sure which I prefer. I am sure tht it isn't a high priority for you right now, so by the time you are ready to get some, I may actually have finished this little 3D modeling project. I would love to do them in stainless!
    bracket progress 02.jpg

19. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Machining that in stainless would be a challenge, and time consuming.
    DIY stainless casting is pretty much a non-starter.
    Making a bronze casting and having it chrome plated seems a bit more feasable.

Cindy likes this.
  20. Unclebrad

I was thinking of sending the file to the 3D printing outfit I used before. and seeing how accurately they could print it in stainless. That little plastic bushing I had them print from my file came out pretty darn well. Of course, printing in plastic is way cheaper than printing in stainless. Hmmm, maybe I should have them print in plastic first. I'm sure I would find things to tweak before wanting to call it finished...

Cindy likes this.