68 390GT progress

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by Unclebrad, Feb 23, 2016.

1. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

park is the only position that requires me to pull the shifter towards me. from reverse, i can pull it all the way down to 1 without pulling the shifter back. from 1, i can push it all the way up to reverse. the shifter will stay at each stop, but its a little off. i also noticed the roll pin hole on bottom of the collar is "oblonging" like brad's has done. the car has always been like this. i have replaced the turn signal switch, but thats as far as i got to fixing this column.
    i thought the ebay item above is for automatic, not 3 on tree trans.?

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Then it sounds like you do not have the detent installed.

3. davis

hmmm.
    looks like i have move that up on the to-do list.

4. davis

brad,
    i finally got a new collar from Mac' s auto parts. how hard is it to get to the shifter detent? or remove it? i havent started removal yet for hte steering wheel etc.
    i'm guessing i'll have to weld on the detent to fix the rounded teeth. thanks.

5. Unclebrad

Unclebrad In Third Gear SILVER MEMBER

You got a new collar from Mac's? They don't show one in their catalogue online, which is why I opted for repairing mine. Do you have a part number? I'd much rather have a new one.

to answer your question, I just went out to the garage to look at the part and have good news. The detent on mine is located on the back (forward facing) side of the first, shorter collar, which means that you don't have to remove the larger, bowl-shaped collar. It is bolted on. Here is a pic:
    IMG_4792 lo.jpg

6. Unclebrad

If you can weld, I am thinking that rebuilding those teeth isn't such a bad idea, although not as easy as just replacing the piece. Those teeth would probably be much stronger made with the material used in welding wire or rod. I'd offer you the one from my parts car, but it seems to be broken. Some kid probably jamming it into Park over the loss of a girlfriend. Me, I just got on the freeway and blew steam off at 120. But I'm more mature now.
    IMG_4793 lo c.jpg

Cindy likes this.
  7. davis

8. davis

good point about the welding and dissimilar metal. but what would a column repair shop do? i was also quoted $200 for labor.
    also, how did you remove the roll pin from the collar? i dont think hitting with a hammer is a good idea with pot metal. you fashion up some sort of a press?

9. Unclebrad

The shop I talked to was talking about putting bronze inserts in. I suppose that, at shop rates, that amounts to an hour or so. Sounds right when you look at it that way.

To get the pin out, I did use a hammer. And a punch just the right diameter. A few light taps and it pushed right through.

10. davis

maybe i can just get the detent fixed at a shop.

you remove the shifter handle, then the center section? the pawl spring must be putting some pressure on the center section.

11. Unclebrad

It was quite a while ago, and I don't really remember the order in which I dismantled it. I'm kinda remembering that the shifter arm was pretty much last.

12. davis

what was condition of the arm at the detent? i'm thinking mine might need work there too.

apologize for being a pain, just want to get an idea of what i'll be dealing with. i didnt remove the collar when i had replaced the turn signal switch and shifter light bulb. that was a headache too. but looks like i'll have to remove that again now.

13. Unclebrad

Definitely a bit worn, but I am thinking it could be worse. I'll still probably try to replace it before putting everything back together.
    IMG_4804.JPG IMG_4805.JPG

14. handy_andy_cv64

Could a bit of TIG welding and filing be used to rehabilitate that?

15. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

MIG or stick would be OK as that is mild steel.

16. davis

i'm thnking welding might be only choice. nobody makes them anymore and finding another used one will probably look the same. i guess this is why most people go to an aftermarket floor shifter. i could get a Lokar unit for nothing, but then i'd have to mess with the floor etc.

17. handy_andy_cv64

Unbelieveably, I had a spare in about the same condition on the end and no rust spots on the chromed portion, but it and all my other spare parts disappeared. I know I had them here at home, but I have not been able to find them.

18. Unclebrad

If you stumble across it sometime, and are willing to part with it, please let me know.
    Guess in the meantime I will have an excuse to try out my new welder...

19. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The selector arm as a good candidate for repairing by welding and filing.
    The detent could be repaired but it would take a practiced hand with a gas welder or an expert with arc.

20. Unclebrad

The main problem with my selector arm is that the chrome is pitted. Guess I can sand and paint it but I do like the chrome. (reminds me of a simpsons episode - Homer: "Mmmmm, shiny...")
    That broken detent is from the parts car, and the one from the main car isn't all that bad - still, I might try a little touch up with the welder, if the job on the selector arm goes well. (I am pretty much a newbie to the welding thing so no promises.)