69 Breakdown Almost complete questions moving forward

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by tkotx1127, May 5, 2016.

1. tkotx1127

tkotx1127 In First Gear

Hey guys I've been working SLOWLY but surely on my 69 Ranchero that I pulled out of my grandfather barn 5 years ago. For the last 5 years it has been about 200 miles away from me stored at my uncles house why I worked on it but next week it will be in my garage at my house and then I think Im going to pull the trigger and drop some money to finish the car.

Couple questions that I'm trying to work out as I go to complete the car....
    1. I know its hard to find original bucket seats for the Ranchero has anyone had any luck using other bucket seats out of another ford model that was area correct and available? I really want bucket seats put back in.

2. Dash pads for 68-69 are rare as well and idea where i could get the whole dash restored or finding replacement parts because to me the dash is what makes this car.

3. Trying to decided to rebuild my 351 or drop a new 351 crate motor. I want 400-450 hp when its all said and done and I was curious if anyone had any luck with certain crate motors and transmission combo?

4. From what I can tell the best place to get the suspension replacement parts and brakes ect.... was PST any other good places?

5. Last but not least.... Should I go back original color or change it up? If I changed I was thinking Deep Metallic Blue with possible black C stripe

here are some pics
    T.K.'s Ranchero 001.jpg
    T.K.'s Ranchero 013.jpg
    T.K.'s Ranchero 015.jpg
    IMG_1337.jpg IMG_1338.jpg IMG_1339.jpg 575202_10150985613999535_1497293820_n.jpg current.jpg 11219325_10154389671854535_3559822399834329702_n.jpg 13043670_10154811485634535_1354750989826120295_n.jpg

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Quite a project you have going!
    A 450 HP 351 is not overly street friendly. Unless your goal is racing in a particular bracket you would very likely like driving a 450HP 460 better, and it would likely be cheaper, and definitely more reliable.
    PST makes good stuff.
    With the brakes, it depends on what you want to do.

3. tkotx1127

tkotx1127 In First Gear

Good point.... maybe 450 HP is a lofty goal. I just want to make sure when Im riding around and I go to punch it I want to have the power there. A sleeper you know.
    I like the PST suspension kit for the front end and I don't know of others out there that compare, PST website also has the disc break conversion that I want to do not sure if I need them on the back or not.

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

My opinion of the color is to keep the original and give it the black C-stripe, a la the '69 Mustang. I always liked that particular shade (I call it Apple Green), and I have seen Fords that color with black accents that look sharp.

tkotx1127 likes this.
  5. MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

PST is pricey and their front end kit doesn't include everything you'll need to rebuild the entire front end. As for brake kits, Wilwoods disc to drum conversion kit is cheaper and probably better.

tkotx1127 likes this.
  6. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

on the color thing...an interesting compromise would be to take that late model escape green of similar hue, might pop nicely there.

Ford-Escape-2015-Price.jpg

Cindy and tkotx1127 like this.
  7. tkotx1127

tkotx1127 In First Gear

Do you know of other front end kits? Pst carries the will wood conversion as well

8. MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

The cheapest that I have found the Wilwood kits are from Summit. The PST Front end kit does not include things like the tie rods, spring seats, insulators for the springs, strut and sway bar links and bushings all which you will need.

I basically bought all these parts individually from various sources in order to keep the price down as low as possible. Moog still makes the OEM replacement parts for pretty much the entire front end soup to nuts.

9. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

tkotx1127 likes this.
  10. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

tkotx1127 and HuevosRanchero like this.
  11. tkotx1127

tkotx1127 In First Gear

12. handy_andy_cv64

The website's impressive; I'd like to knock on their front door and tell them I'm from Missouri.

13. handy_andy_cv64

And their prices, even when not on sale, are what I'd expect to pay for a stroked 351W. I'll take a 427, please.

14. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

15. tkotx1127

tkotx1127 In First Gear

This is the 351W block that I bought to build up instead of building the original motor.... If I remember it's an 83 block? I assume out of a bronco or something ... If get the block all cleaned up and put a top end kit on it then it should be good right? Excuse the "selfie"

image.jpeg

16. tkotx1127

tkotx1127 In First Gear

Original block very dirty most likely had an oil leak C9OE-6105-B

image.jpeg

17. handy_andy_cv64

You should pay to have both fully inspected by a machine shop; bear in mind that the '69 block is slightly different than the '83 block so the accessories may not bolt up correctly. Seems to me I had talked to somebody who had a bad block in a '69 Torino, and when they went to replace it, an '80s Crown Vic block had just a smidge difference when assembled, but I can't remember if it was the timing cover or the accessory bracket for the P/S wouldn't fit, something like that. So if the E3 block doesn't dimensionally work or is flawed, you can still jump on doing the original block.

18. tkotx1127

tkotx1127 In First Gear

It seems that I read the same thing somewhere. The 83 block has been cleaned up before not sure if its been machined but in the process of a rebuild and I purchased it with the bottom half build. The 69 block defiantly needs to be gone thru.

The top end kit that I want the Edelbrock 2092 has gone up in price in the last couple years it was around $1800-$2000 but now is at $2500.... I curious since these are considered "Ford Truck Blocks" if they can handle the kit and hp Im looking for.

19. handy_andy_cv64

Here's what I was told by a reputable rebuilder here North of Seattle: any factory V8 block, with proler machining and balancing, is good to 600 HP, as lo,ng as it's not a stroker. The balance of the rotating assembly, the structure of the main webbing and caps and the integrity of the cylinder heads are paramount in a performance build, itself. Other items co.e into play as the engine is installed inthe car, but those address the highest-strained areas of the engine. Having said that, either a '79 block (like the one in Babe, from a '79 Grand Marq donor), a '76 van block or an '83-and-up truck/van block are just about equal. But my original point had to do with fitting the accessory brackets from the '69 engine onto a built '83 engine. IIRC, they won't fit. If you have P/S or A/C, you may have to find truck brackets and cobble them to fit in your car and line up the belts.

20. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

If the destination for the '83 motor is to a '69 Chero, then look at shift linkage countershaft pivot, on the inner (motor) end the pivot will screw into a boss on the side of the block, missing on the '83 block. But I think you can get a bracket that will let you mount the linkage.

tkotx1127 likes this.