69 fuel sending unit jumper/harness/extension wire source

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Boiler92, Aug 2, 2020 at 2:51 PM.

1. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Fourth Gear

I took the first 2 pics and made the video before I discovered I had the old, broken harness in the parts box the PO left me.

In any case, I can find plenty of sources for pigtails with the sending unit connector on one end with the other end needing spliced. I've not found a replacement with connectors on both ends. Anyone?

Screenshot_20200802-131949_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200802-132018_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200802-142504_Gallery.jpg

2. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Fourth Gear

I tempted the old harness and plugged it in.

Gas needle doesn't move and I've got roughly half a tank.

I read if you ground the yellow wire it should peg the needle. I touched the wire to the frame where I skinned it to hook up the tone generator and started the truck. No needle movement. Darn.

3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

The fuel gauge needs to have power for the sender to work (by grounding)

4. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

You should have a four wire connector near the drivers side wall, behind the cluster (pictured). The yellow/white strip wire should be your fuel sending unit. Should be in with the tail lights, under the drivers door, behind the panel drivers side storage compartment, and near the drivers side tail light.

upload_2020-8-2_14-46-51.png

Attached Files:

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yes, if the wire's on ground and the needle doesn't move when the ignition's turned on, you have a cluster power or gauge problem.

6. Dyno

Dyno In Fourth Gear

Looks like plenty of help here already. So are you making up your old harness or did you source one? Asking as I'm missing the tank harness for mine.
    Good luck.

7. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

What did you use to ground the wire?
    If using the frame there could be a corrosion issue or in the case of using the gas tank it may not be grounded
    My suggestion is to use a jumper wire and a known good ground and then connect it to the ylw/wht wire
    It may be that since you painted the chassis ( as I recall it ) the tank is not able to use the chassis as a ground.

8. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Fourth Gear

Cobbled the old harness. Plugged in to connector at rear as well as sending unit on tank. No go.

While truck was running I grounded the yellow wire to the frame where I had skinned it to tone out. No go.

Problem is with the gauge or cluster or wiring between gauge and where I skinned it.

9. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

My next suggestion is to remove the cluster and perform a continuity check from the wire at the gauge to the cluster.
    and then perhaps manually move the needle on the gauge.
    Perhaps from all the years of the gauge not working the needle "is stuck"

10. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Fourth Gear

I just now ran a temp #12 copper ground from negative terminal on battery to where I skinned the yellow wire. Started the truck. No needle movement.

11. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Fourth Gear

Good suggestions. I'll do that when I replace the dash pad. My neighbor came over last week to color match my bench seat to dye the new dash. Should have it in the near future. Thanks.

12. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Fourth Gear

Still would like a source for a new harness between the sending unit and rear connector. I have no faith in this cobbled up old one.

13. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'm wondering if a guy could make one with some wire and these parts. It looks like Bronco parts might get you close.

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 5.22.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 5.22.48 PM.png

14. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Fourth Gear

Looks like the correct ends. Thanks!