69 R code project

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by Dyno, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Ol' Slo Eddie

Ol' Slo Eddie In Third Gear

Glad to hear that you "got 'er dun". It's not easy to get the coverage you want anymore.
    They are out to make money...not friends!

Dyno likes this.
  2. Dyno

Dyno In Fourth Gear

Well got the trailer hooked up head out to York, Pa for FCA nationals tomorrow. Supposed to be some rain tomorrow I'm hoping it blows thru tonight. All polished up anyway.
    Will see what tomorrow brings.
    Have other stuff to do after show. 3G alternator and a power booster. Yippee!

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The 3G is a very nice upgrade. If it weren't for the special harness for the heated windshield on my wagon, I'd already have a 3G (95A) installed, as it's partially plug 'n' play. Babe will get a 3G whenever I get around to the EFI upgrade.

4. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

3G's do have a nice clean output compared to other brand's alternators. With the addition of a transistorised regulator, those older big case 70 and 90 amp alternators produced as clean an output as the more modern 3G alternators. The downside to those big case alternators is do you have the extra room for them and having to locate or fabricate the longer adjusting arm they require. Heavily optioned late 70's early 80's Fords ,Lincolns, and Mercurys often had those big amp alternators

Dyno likes this.
  5. handy_andy_cv64

My '89 Colony Park has one, factory, because why? The heated windshield, that's why! The only advantage versus the internal regulator 2G alternators the Panther cars and the trucks came with, is the charge cable lug attachment versus the plug-in charge cable connector, a source of burnt terminals and a few fires. Not one of Ford's "better ideas.
    I was fortunate, the O'Reallys I go to had the side-terminal alternator in-stock. Imagine my shock and surprise....

Hillbilly likes this.
  6. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

They probably had that one in inventory since that store opened.

handy_andy_cv64 likes this.
  7. handy_andy_cv64

It looked too clean for that. I figure, some well-to-do rancher bought himself a loaded Panther, it had the heated windshield because, the factory, and he had to order one, bought it, and the Bean Counters sent another one.

Hillbilly likes this.
  8. Dyno

Dyno In Fourth Gear

Checked the charging circuit with electric fans on, MSD, and headlights and it was way weak. So change to 3G and get over it, hmmm stereo?

9. handy_andy_cv64

MSD and headlamps (if standard incandescent or halogen) aren't a big draw. But cooling fans and HIDs are. So, yeah, even if you find a 1G rear terminal alternator with a 70-80 amp output, on a 1000 CCA battery, would be better than stock.

10. Dyno

Dyno In Fourth Gear

That's why I ordered the 3G from Pa Performance supposed to be delivered Monday. Only want to fix it once. Plan for upgrades !

11. handy_andy_cv64

Of course, we'd like to see a thread in the tech section on the install.

12. Dyno

Dyno In Fourth Gear

Got the parts but don't have the time to install. Did look at boxes and looks fairly simple saw destructions in at least one of the boxes.
    Probably should have done one on my repop mirror fix that makes them actually usable and closer to level looking. Going to re-modify them at a later date so they are more to my liking. Being able to make stuff in the machine shop is a BAD/Good thing for me. Can do it manually or program and run on the CNC's that's how I made my own electric fan mounts.

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  13. Dyno

Dyno In Fourth Gear

Well mailman delivered the award from FCA show today. Got 2nd not bad for first outing.

Attached Files:

14. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Interesting Class, "67-76".

Testament to how many of these (Ranchero's) show up at shows.

15. handy_andy_cv64

Congratulations! Hopefully, the first in a long line of trophies.

16. Dyno

Dyno In Fourth Gear

Only about 6 of us in the class. Not sure what I would find at a local meet.
    Awards are okay but not really why I'm doing it. Most people have no knowledge these were made with the combo of drive trains in them.You don't see many of them out there.
    I set there and am waiting for call to the staging lanes.

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  17. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

There are a few shows out here that put all the Elco and Rancheros in a single group... can you say popularity contest~!

And have heard of Ranchero Shows that break them up by generations, 57-59, 60-67, 68-72, 73-79.

but agree, trophies are nice, but if that's the reason you're doing it, two things are going to happen. You will be disappointed and disgusted very quickly.

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  18. Dyno

Dyno In Fourth Gear

Ah elco : A poor copy of a Ranchero !!
    Gets them guys going every time. Easy win Ranchero was made first.
    Still appreciate the variety of cars at the shows and the styles of doing them.

19. Dyno

Dyno In Fourth Gear

On the road again !!!
    Last Tuesday finally got tags for the chero gave me 10 days to get inspection done. Went to my usual shop at break time Wednesday asked when they could get me in for inspection. Mechanic came out eyeballed car hard tells me "What a heap". I just said Thank You ! Bowtie guys . Then he really complimented and stickered car up. Ends up mechanics buddy has a 68 stang 428cj car original.

Yesterday great day to drive car. Went out to old neighborhood about 62 mile each way. Can't say fuel economy is great but made up for in smiles, waves , thumbs up and gawking per mile !!
    Took an old buddy out for a ride he used to advise what to do to cars when I was in high school. Old hot rodder !! Asked if he was ready and he couldn't get in car fast enough !! Hit the road and more than doubled the double nickel rapidly with plenty of throttle left !!!
    He really liked the ride and announced it's time to get his Road runner back on the road. Been setting since early 80's as life, kids and cancer had gotten in way. 69 440 six pack 4 speed original car. Going to be lots of work.
    So inspiration was served !!!

20. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Just in time for some beautiful Fall cruising!