69 R code project

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by Dyno, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Thanks Andy. Agree PER's is nicely detailed.
    Yes they match the car , both were supposedly rebuilt prior to my purchase. The widow had helped install the trans, told her she was a good woman ! She didn't know any specs on what exactly was done.
    Now that they are out will check engine out and see what cam is installed, check heads for seats. Basically go thru and fix what I don't like. This is one engine I don't want to pull anytime soon, tight in the compartment.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yeah, no kidding. Just about all the intermediates and the Mustangs/Cougars were a shoehorn fit. I would be surprised if the headwork did not include new seats and Viton stem seals, let alone stainless valves, beehive springs or even replaced guides.

3. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

When I had valve covers off could tell they used umbrella seals. Regular springs and steel retainers, interesting combo of parts .Umbrella seals worked for how long, prior to viton seals. Budget build.
    Here's some pics of welds on bell housing of trans.
    inside bell weld.jpg outside bell weld.jpg

4. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

Umbrella seals hold up about 50k if your lucky. They get hard and fall apart.
    Engines of that Era are 100 to 125k life span. With valve job half way though. Viton seals are hard on old valves tho really sands them down.
    The engines wern't designed to last that long. Upgrading the heads is a big step forward. New valves, guides, seats, springs. Makes them trouble free.

5. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Thanks Steve . Kinda put the umbrella seals out there as a rhetorical question as in they were used for a long time.
    New heads ? Maybe a set of edelbrocks in cars future. Have to pull this engine down and see what was done to it when rebuilt by prior owner. Don't know what size the cam is in it at this point, all stuff to find out.

6. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Interesting gathering sometimes. Lot's of chances to check out restored Bolts and other fun creations. Dearborn T-Bolt Reunion  BeechBend 372.jpg

Jeff B, Kiwirancher and Basstrix like this.
  7. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Mmmmmmm cammer!

8. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Cammer neat look Sweet sounding!

9. Hillbilly

Notice that nice round body Falcon wagon ? Quite capable of making others green with envy. Dearborn T-Bolt Reunion  BeechBend 620.jpg

10. Hillbilly

More thumpers there made it interesting for me. Got a thing about those fat FE engines. Dearborn T-Bolt Reunion  BeechBend 597.jpg

Dyno likes this.
  11. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Lots of rare iron all in one place! Cubic $$$$

12. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yes, nice 'round body'.

13. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Changed out lower control arms today. Here is a pic of the factory cutout in floor for console shifter. Crude but effective.

Attached Files:

14. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Pic of back of block before putting up on engine stand. Delivered body to body shop last Saturday, the wait begins! He says a year.
    Time to get the other project home and start back on it 85 Svo . I certainly find the odd stuff. Have to sort out wiring to get her running.

Attached Files:

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  15. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Stopped by body shop a couple weeks ago. Cowl panel, tailgate and part of front end cleaned to bare metal with no rot evident just good clean metal.
    Here's a pic of radiator electric fan mounts I made during thanksgiving brake. Just some fun with programming and milling. Made on a Haas VF6 mill, stuff ya can do with decent equipment at work.

Attached Files:

Kiwirancher likes this.
  16. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Nice!
    I need to move up to CNC on my mill. I have drives and digital position sensors, just have to make the next jump.

17. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

18. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Glad y'all enjoy, just getting back from deer camp week. Stopped by body shop today to check on progress, replacing front fenders as patches that were in lower corners were not done well rest were solid, Side note would be that the fenders had no holes for fender script as '69 should have guess early build still had '68 fenders as rear quarters have the holes. Hood is in very nice condition some small pitting at a few spots. Doors are being gutted to go to blaster to strip all way down. At least progress is being made.

19. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Hopefully the door bottoms are solid; I'll knock on wood they aren't messed up.

20. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Appreciate that Andy.
    Here in Northeast ya rarely find a ride that don't have rust somewhere. Road salt did it's job over the years and now they do something so much better Brine on the roads, penetrates everywhere on a vehicle. Amazing how fast brake lines rot off newer vehicles and rust thru on body parts.
    Will just keep chugging along. Hopefully lets me know when he needs other parts, rather than sourcing on own.