6R80 behind a FE Engine

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by grebaba, May 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

I have decided to install a 2012 or newer 6R80 6 speed in my 428 ci 63 Galaxie. I know it is not a Ranchero but anybody with a FE engine might be interested in this swap.
    I researched a upgrade over my C-6 because I need the low rear gear and still wanted some decent mileage on the high way.
    After searching for over a year I think the 6R80 is the right choice for me as they are running behind twin turbo's at 1425 HP with the stock tran's.
    I will have all my machine work done in December and will start the conversion then.
    If there is any interest in this swap I will be able to post picture's when I start the swap.
    Greg

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Wow. That will be a very tall order, so I wish you the best of luck. Having something that will keep your RPMs down below 2200 for highway cruising will go a long way to preserving that FE, even with the weight of your Galaxie. It'll be interesting to see what the MPG numbers shake out to be.

3. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Yeah
    I am really interested about the mileage. I will be running it at 12-1+ compression with the old Ford racing D cam with a 433 or 456 rear gear.
    Not a real daily driver but something to have some fun with on the weekends.
    After looking at cost for all the upgrades manual and auto I decided on the 6R80 because the conversion cost was less then going to a TKO 600.
    I am deciding whether to buy a totaled Mustang to get the wiring harness and ECU but then I would have to get rid of the 5.0 and other parts so I might just but the tranny and quick 6 controller.
    The tranny will cost $585 to 1200 depending on mileage, adapter is $1675.00, controller is $1250.
    I will have to fab up a crossmember and hope I don't have to cut into my trans hump any.
    I had the 6R80 in my 12 Mustang GT and loved it and I really abused it on the street and drag's with no problems unlike the MT-82 in my 13 Boss 302 which gave me trouble for the first 12,000 miles until I figured out the problem.
    The car has been a race car since birth with less then 22,000 documented miles on it. No radio-heater sound deaden er etc.
    I did remove the roll bar so I could install an interior in it for a little comfort.
    Greg

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  4. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

I found the Brendtsen Speed Gems adapter for $1675 and they have a nice video on U tube about the install. A real easy install. The 6r80 is smaller and shorter then the C-6 by the way.
    Decided to order a used 6r80 out of a F-150 because they have more clutches then the Mustang GT which has more then the Eco Boost engine.
    Us shift has a self learning controller for $1250.00 with a built in trans break so I will go that way.
    Greg

5. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Received my 6R80 yesterday and took some pictures of it next to the C6 I have out of my 71 Ranchero 429.
    I don't have a FE c6 to compare with.
    I have decided to install the 6r80 in both the 429 71 Ranchero and my 63 428 Galaxie.
    Anyway here are the pictures for those interested.
    Won't let me upload the pictures, says they are to big.
    sorry.
    Greg

6. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

turned down my camer pixels. Lets see it it works now.
    Greg

Attached Files:

ForistellFord and LSChero like this.
  7. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Went to Bendtsens site and the FE adapter is $950.00 the 429-460 is $1675.00. The 428 to AOD adapter works on the 6R80 but you have to tell them when you order so they send you the right flywheel etc. At least that is what I understand from the u-tube video.
    Greg

8. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Thanks for pics and info Greg.Interesting upgrade!

9. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

You are welcome.
    As soon as I can get some help I am going to put the 6r80 on my tranny jack and set it in the 71 tunnel to see if I need to make any mods to get it to fit.
    I will have to guess a little on where it will sit in the car cause the engine is still on the stand.
    Greg

10. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

A guy on another forum posted pictures of his 6R80 install on his 70 torino. There is room for it to fit with no mods to the trans tunnel. Good to know.
    He goes by Chvslayer on the other forum.
    Greg

11. Anton Olafsson

Anton Olafsson In First Gear

On what forum was that?

12. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

It was on the 460.com site.
    One thing I noticed is the guy used a 6r80 out of a v-6 instead of a v8. His tranny is a little tilted and I found out that the v6 trans will be tilted a little but the v8 trans will be level.
    Hope this helps.
    Greg

13. Anton Olafsson

Anton Olafsson In First Gear

What controler are you going to use? Can you post link?

Thanks
    Anton

14. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

I will us the US Shift quick shift 6.
    www.usshift.com.
    I ordered 2 of them, one for the 71-429 and one for my 428 63 Galaxie.
    Greg

ForistellFord likes this.