70 GT

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by 70 GTee, Oct 11, 2015.

1. 70 GTee

70 GTee In First Gear

70 GT with 71 trim, factory h code 351 GT. This was a non shaker and bench seat car but with factory AC. The shaker is oem and was converted to a 4 barrel with an edelbrock intake and Holley carb. Power disc brakes and power steering.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 70 GTee

70 GTee In First Gear

Threw some billet 17x8's I robbed from my Comet. Needs a taller tire to fill the wheel well. Looks like a 17x11 could fit out back after looking at the room towards the frame rails.
    [​IMG]

3. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

:) Very, very nice.

4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Well done!

5. 70 GTee

70 GTee In First Gear

I just picked the car up last week. It sat for 9 years shortly after it was finished. The body is straight as an arrow but has cracks in the paint and clear is pealing on the roof. The 351c had water get into the oil, it appears the timing cover gasket gave allowing water in the pan. A gasket swap fixed this. The car had no keys so I had a guy come by and make a new set for the ignition and door. $100 later and I was inside.

6. 70 GTee

70 GTee In First Gear

Fired her up and the A/C isn't blowing through the vents. I didn't expect the A/C to work properly but I do get air from the top and bottom. Any suggestions where to start? Fuel gauge also isn't working, is this a common thing for the rancheros? This is my first ranchero so I'd appreciate any suggestions.

7. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

If you take a look at the front and top of the heater/AC box you'll see various vacuum motors that open and close doors to direct the air flow; likely one of yours isn't working. A hand vac pump can be used to make them pull on their various linkages. If those are all good, then next you should investigate the heater /AC lever in the dash which switches vac source to the motors depending on position. I'd advise taking off the top of the dash [remove screws, pull straight out toward the driver] to make all the various stuff more visible.

8. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Another thing to check on your AC is the vacuum source line to the vac can on the fender. See if you have vac to the can and check the supply line for cracks and a good working check valve.

9. 70 GTee

70 GTee In First Gear

I'll take a look. Thanks guys.

10. 70 GTee

70 GTee In First Gear

Winner winner!!!! Found a cracked vacuum hose. Cut off the bad section and reinstalled. Ice cold AC, ok well maybe not ice cold or even cold but I have air flowing through the vents now. A recharge should do the trick. Thanks for the suggestions.

[​IMG]

11. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Whoo hoo, AC good. In the spirit of sorting things out, your valve covers may be on the wrong sides. I see the fill cap in the above pic and the position I am used to is the fill on front/drivers side of the engine.

12. 70 GTee

70 GTee In First Gear

You are correct, I believe I have a non shaker hood metal base with the two holes for the breather filter on the passenger side.