70's Ford sterio

Discussion in 'Car and Home Audio' started by bmf, Sep 27, 2012.

1. bmf

bmf In Third Gear

I have a couple of these and would like to know if they are of a decent enough quality to warrant their use. If so I will see if I can get one updated either with larger output amps or RCA out to add amps and audio input. I am planning to use 3 pair of 4" , 2 pair of tweeters and one bass. Don't need loud but I do need clear. (old ears)
    Comments please.
    Thanx,
    Ray

Dwayne302Torino likes this.
  2. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

I sent mine to a place in Sacramento called Rays Auto Stereo and they did a great job.
    The Radio will be fine for your purpose, they can add the Aux hookups for your other devices as well. After all, Sports Talk radio and the Rush Limbaugh show doesnt take a lot of volume...LOL

3. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

Ray spend your money wisely. Use the money that you were going to spend on 4 tweeters and 6 midranges and buy one set of High Quality components that will handle 75-100 RMS and a nice subwoofer. I would opt for the RCAs and hook up a nice 4 channel amp that is rated about 100x4 RMS. You can bridge channels 3 and 4 to get about 200 or more X 1 bridged Mono watts to the subwoofer and 200 to the components it will sound better than just more speakers spread around the cab. 100 watts RMS to a high quality set of components will deafen you in a Ranchero and sound dynamite doing it.

Focal and Morel are very nice and I have used both and they are very High Quality.

4. bmf

bmf In Third Gear

Thanx Huevos, I will be down there in a week or so and see what I can get done.

Thanx RancheroUS, the Ranchero already has a decent system. These are going in a 72 wagon that I am currently building. The reason for all of the speakers is that I would like to put them on the rail above the windows. One set for each row of seats, behind the headliner if possible.

Thanx again,
    Ray

5. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

@ bmf ... unless you are hard into the retro appearance for some reason, then almost any low-end modern radio would be better than an old Ford radio. They were not notable for sounding good, and putting that much load [many speakers] onto one would not improve it.

6. bmf

bmf In Third Gear

OK, but are there any made in U.S.A.

7. Rancherous

8. bmf

bmf In Third Gear

That's ok then. I wont take a chance.
    Looks like its too wide anyway.

9. Huevos

10. KewlKustomPaint

KewlKustomPaint In Third Gear

that's kewl I got a 72 Gran Torino wagon also
    mine was radio delet but they put an aftermarket radio in it,i think cassette but they didnt put the antenna out side the car on the fender which i'm glad thay din't drill the fender as my plan is for a hidden antenna system. i know how some freak over cutting the dash for modern radio's but mine is getting a CD player some day and not only that i'm cutting the car itself as it will be made into a 2 door Sport Delivery.
    I got doorsfrom a formal roof and quarter sections with the jamb so I can take the doors off cut the pillar outand bolt on the longer doors then put the B pillar jamband fill in the reat where the rear soor was then take the side rear windows out and weld them up with sheet metal.
    Ford never made a Delivery out of a Gran Torino so I will
    Mine is 3rd row seat delete also which is great for a delivery as I got a big storage area under the fold down floor in the back

11. bmf

bmf In Third Gear

I have 2 am/fm sterio and 2 am only. The am/fm will go to Sacramento and the shop can have its choice. The am pair is available for the price of shipping.

Huevos---now that yours has been installed,are you satisfied with the quality of sound?

Ranchero US----I looked at the Focal speakers and they looked promising.
    Does the wire for the speakers need to be upgraded or is that just something that makes more $ for the store?

Everyone else---Thanx for the suggestions. They are all in the mix.

I am working on getting the dash back in now, so the wires are probably going in next week.
    One more hole in the floor to fix and I can finish the insulation.
    Lizzard skin sound deadener inside and outside where appropriate. Lizard Skin heat insulation inside and out. Fat mat sound deadener with foil inside. Duplicolor bed liner underneath and firewall. It should be fairly ouiet and cool.
    I really do not know anything about sterio systems, so keep the comments comming.

Ray

12. Huevos

Ray, the sound is good, I wouldnt say Great, but good enough for a 40+ year old Am Fm radio, I wanted an all original looking unit, so Thats what I got.
    Next time I think I will send out my Original AM radio to ElectroTech to have it upgraded yet look original.
    http://www.turnswitch.com/radio1.htm

13. Rancherous

MOST speakers will come with wire and connections for the speakers to wire them to the radio or amp right in the box. So check before you buy any wire. I would probably run new wire as to use the 30 plus year old stuff in the car now.

Where are the speaker locations in the wagon from the factory?

14. bmf

bmf In Third Gear

The front speakers were in the lower front door panels.
    The rear speakers were behind the rear seat over the wheel wells and were facing up.
    I could put both pair in the doors but I feel that the sound would be better if they were pointed at head height.
    After looking closer at the seating arrangement I will not put a third pair for the jump seat.