71 Digital dash conversion

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by grebaba, Feb 7, 2019.

1. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

Hi
    Well its cold outside and in my shop [no heat] so I decided to convert my speedometer to digital because I can do it inside.
    I disassembled the unit and since the paint was worn away over most of it I stripped the rest off.
    Took out all the insides and bagged everything up.
    I ordered the Summit 5 gauge kit.
    Right now I am deciding exactly how to mount it, I will have to drill a new hole in the back of the housing for the wires to run though. You can use the factory holes but it makes it hard to center the unit.
    Ordered the vintage air control unit because I can disassemble it and mount the switch's in the stock location.
    I order some black lexan to cover the areas where the old gauges and warning lights went.
    It looks like a easy install so should have it done as soon as I get the extra time to work on it.
    Greg

Attached Files:

2. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

That's looking great,
    have Pics of the back of the unit to see how you attached it?

3. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

Haven't attached it yet but I have several options. When I figure out the best way to do that I will post a picture of how I decide to do it.
    Right now when you tighten the unit together the digital dash is clamped in and I can't get it to move.
    I thought about leaving it that way but with the rough roads I have to drive I figured I would have to permanently mount it.
    More to come.
    Greg

4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'll be following this. Very cool.

5. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

Thanks
    I was just looking for a digital clock to replace the factory as both of mine don't work.
    I might have to get a kit and build my own because the ones I have found are way to small or to big.
    Greg

6. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

Here is an update.
    When installing the LED gauge set it did not sit even so I took my dremel and rounded one corner. It is the on lower edge of the panel on the left side.
    I all so had to cut a 1/2 inch off a mounting stand on the lower right side. You can see where the wire's were hitting the stand.
    I tried to get some good pictures but my camera doesn't like the green so they didn't come out very good but here they are.
    The unit sits flat now and fits like it should.
    Greg

Attached Files:

7. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

Update 2
    While fitting the cluster in the housing I noticed I didn't have an odometer.
    Looked close and found it.
    I had to cut a relief in the metal part that encloses the unit It is picture 1. You can make your cut by using the old factory cutout as a guide.
    In picture 2 and 3 you can see the zero where the odometer is located [bottom middle of unit].
    Not a problem, just took some time with my dremel.
    Still have to clean up the cut to make it look good but so far I am real happy with this modification.
    Picture 2 won't upload, don't know why. It is no bigger then the other 2.
    Greg

Attached Files:

8. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

What's the deal with the speedometer and odometer? Is there a something converting the speedometer cable to digital? And is the odometer setable (i.e. if your car had 70,605 miles before the dash upgrade, can you input that again).

andrewok1 likes this.
  9. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

Good question.
    I didn't know the answer so I read the directions. You can set the original miles on the odometer. I won't copy the instructions but it is an easy 5 step process.
    There is a small button just to the right of the 0 on the odometer and that is used to set up and program the unit.
    In the kit you get the speedo driver and all the sensors to work with the unit.
    Greg

TestDummy likes this.
  10. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

Update 3
    Here is a picture of the mock up with the lexan.
    Greg

Attached Files:

HVAC22 likes this.
  11. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

very nice , upload_2019-2-8_19-46-12.jpeg

12. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

this must be the kit ::

upload_2019-2-8_19-56-20.png
    JEGS 41622 Details
    5-Gauge Panels

• Gauge Panels Display:
    • Speedometer (0-300 MPH)

• Features:
      • Odometer
      • Trip Meter
      • High Speed Recall
      • 0-60 Time
      • Quater Mile ET
    • Water Temperature (50-350ºF)
    • Oil Pressure (0-99 PSI)
    • Voltmeter (7-25 Volts)
    • Fuel Level (0-99%)

• Features:

13. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

14. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

JEGS digital gauge panels provide a high-tech unique look that is different than standard gauges. The 5-gauge panel displays - speedometer, oil pressure, coolant temperature, voltmeter, fuel level, turn signal indicators, high beam indicator, and odometer. The 6-gauge panel displays all of the same features plus a tachometer.

The oil pressure and coolant temperature sending units are included with all gauge panels. The fuel level gauge is programmable and works with most production and after-market sending units (i.e. 73-10, 0-90, 10-180, and 240-33 ohms).

Choose the appropriate panel to match your application based on the type of speedometer sending unit you need. The panels are also available w/o the speedometer sender since they can be used with most OEM (hall effect or magnetic pulse electronic senders if they generate from 2,000 to 32,000 pulses per mile). If you need a sending unit, choose from GM/Mopar/VW, Ford or GPS speedometer sending units. The GPS speedometer sender doesn't hook up to the transmission, so it is ideal for vehicles with limited space around the transmission or where a standard speedometer sensor will not fit.

15. 5.0 Chero

16. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

Thats the kit.
    Greg

andrewok1 likes this.
  17. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

I have decided how I am going to mount the unit in the housing.
    The place I get my plastics from sells acrylic solid rods. They come in various sizes and colors.
    What I will do is cut the rods to size [about 2 inch's long ] and glue them to the inside of the housing, then glue a flat piece on them making a bridge.
    The gauge panel is bolted together with 4 long screws and a nylock nuts. They are about 1/16 inch wide and stick out the back of the panel about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.
    I can drill the holes and just bolt it to the housing.
    The glue I use is very strong and you have to be careful with it. It is applied with a bottle with a needle on it. Be careful and don't get it on anything you don't want to permanently
    attach. It is called Scigrip #4.
    I will order the rods today and should have them by Wed.
    Updates to follow.
    When I get it mounted then I can paint and we will see what it looks like.
    Greg

andrewok1 likes this.
  18. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

LSChero
    I missed your post but looked at the gauges you are looking at.
    If you have a extra speedometer houseing you can take apart and see what is inside then you can figure out how to mount everything before you buy the kit.
    I have never had a 72 apart so can't advise on that.
    I have 3 extra 71 dashs so I was able to take one apart and see if I thought I could do it.
    Really helped me.
    The Summit kit is made by Intelitronix same company who makes the Jegs kit.
    Greg

19. 5.0 Chero

Maybe use spacers on the bolts into the housing
    https://www.mcmaster.com/92377a610

https://www.mcmaster.com/unthreaded-spacers

upload_2019-2-10_0-22-38.png

20. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

Thanks for the link. I can use it.
    What I am doing is the same thing but I wanted to use solid rods because I will have a little more base to glue my home made bridge to. The hollow spacers would work if the screws that hold the digital panel were longer.They would have to be about 2 1/2 inch's longer then they are.
    I can really use your link though because I am all ways looking for spacer's and stand off's and there is nowhere to buy them where I live.
    Living in a small town limits what I can find. It is a 70 mile long round trip to the nearest big town and you still can't all ways find what you need.
    Thanks
    Greg