71 Ranchero Rear End

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by drexer13, Dec 23, 2015.

1. drexer13

drexer13 In First Gear

Hay guys
    Does anyone know which 9 inch rear end came in a 71 ranchero 500. I'm trying to scare up some parts for a disc brake conversation. But I'm not sure what rear end is in the car. I would just go out and check but I just moved and have not moved the car yet. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

There are only two. The small bearing and the large bearing.
    (At least as far as the brakes are concerned)
    From my viewpoint, rear disc brakes would be WAY down the list. Like after a swap to MII front end and 4 link rear.
    Unless you are racing in reverse, the rear drums will be able to do the job.

3. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Fourth Gear

4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The Lincoln swap is a popular one. As I understand it, however, it doesn't work with all 9" rear ends, only the early ones.

5. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I considered rear discs on my mustang and came to the same conclusion (low on the list). The main benefit I see is the equal braking due to the self adjusting nature of calipers.

6. drexer13

drexer13 In First Gear

Thanks for the replys guys, I'm in the middle of an 03 crown vic front end conversation now. I have the rest of the car and was thinking about using the rear brakes from the vic.
    It seems like I've read about three different 9" a large bearing a small bearing and a Torino large bearing. All three have different bolt pattern for brake caliper brackets.

7. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

rear ID.jpg Here's a an ID image for when you do get a chance to check.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015