71 Whitesale's project

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by 71 Whitesale, Oct 21, 2011.

1. 71 Whitesale

71 Whitesale In Fourth Gear

Closing in on the quarter and the door! I spent a day dry sanding with a block and 220 grit, then 320 grit, found about 4 imperfections in the quarter and a couple on the door. I travel 3-5 days a week so work days are sometimes spaced out, but each day I spend on it I can see progress.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BillyC

BillyC In Fourth Gear

How thick are the spacers on your wheels?

3. 71 Whitesale

They are 1" spacers

4. 71 Whitesale

After a day of wet sanding with 320, its taking shape!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I think it looks straight and sweet. That hood and fender combo is one of the best designs ever put on a car.

6. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

You using 24" or longer sanding blocks?

7. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

Wow just wait until you get paint on their, that paint is going to look smooth and flawless on that job you've done. Considering you or someone with skill paints it. I agree with sean the combo of that hood and fender is a great one.

8. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

@ '71 Whitesale ... looking pretty good in the pics. Wish you were working on my car.

A question; can you achieve a hood alignment that makes the leading front edge of the hood align with the fender extensions on both sides? I'm of the opinion it isn't possible. I have a collection of photos here that show that feature not matching perfectly on a bunch of '70-'71 cars. I think they were manufactured a little bit wrong.

9. 71 Whitesale

It is next to impossible!

10. airford1

airford1 In Maximum Overdrive

Tyler Texas, Nice town, I would do work for Carrier in the early 90's and almost mover there. Keep up the good work and now I think you should consider painting it yourself to.

11. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

You can silver solder the extension on, blend it into the fender and build on the side to correct.

12. 71 Whitesale

I did when sanding filler & getting the center ridge straight. The finest paper I have found for it is 180 so I use an 8" hard rubber block for finer paper dry & a 1/4" flexible block for wet sanding

13. 71 Whitesale

I did all the work on my 65 Mustang (sold) but spray the paint and buff it out, as well as my son's 98 Mustang GT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am going to paint this one, the owner of the shop is a friend of ours and he said when I get it down to final primer to bring it out and I can use his booth to paint it and his good paint gun too and he will be there to watch and help

14. 71 Whitesale

OK I know its been a while....my son bought a 67 El Camino about 6 months ago that is a driver, been helping him with it and we have done some engine work and installed a new interior, also my job turned on me, I am back out on the road every week for the past 2 months so my weekends are my only working time again....but

After getting the engine back in the Elky, I cleaned out the shop and found my Ranchero again! Last weekend wiped it down with degreaser and did a lot of fine hand wet sanding on the passenger side. Today I got out the paint gun and put a whole coat of good primer (been using rattle cans because most of it's getting sanded off) and it is looking great! I have a little issue with the rear of the fender, need to take it off and do a little work but the "bad" side of the car is near completion!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, modifying a 69 Mustang hood scoop to add to the stock hood, we will see how that comes out, so far I am liking it. Filling in the rear inset where the blinkers were located, for some reason I never liked that. The scoop is a swap meet item, if it doesn't come out well I can buy a brand new one, but I figure its worth a shot!

15. 2beast

2beast In Third Gear

Chero is coming along nicely.

I like the hood scoop :cool:

Greg