72-79 Bed Trim Removal

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by Rancherous, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

OK Folks this question comes up about 5 times a year. Here are the steps you must take to remove the bed trim on 72-79 Rancheros.

1) Remove Tail Lights
    2) Look Up
    3) Romove the nuts attaching the corner pieces and remove
    4) Slide trim off of the clips or LIGHTLY pry them off without bending
    5) This should leave you with the Corners at the top of the cab
    6) Headliner must be removed to access the nuts in the top corners of the bed trim. Remove
    7) The top piece above the cab will slide off like the bed rails (hockey sticks)
    8) This should get them off for you without bending or breaking anything.
    9) The tailgate trim must be accessed through the cover on the tailgate
    10) Enjoy

Vtxman likes this.
  2. 539lucky

539lucky Guest

bed trim removal

The top corner pieces appear to have two bolts, with nuts accessable from inside after removing headliner. If bolts are missing, where can I find more, or is there something else I can use? Thanks Lucky

3. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Try this...

Try this link for the parts:

http://www.parts123.com/index/google/0000315k/moreinfo-0000315k-ABCCD-381955-S.htm

The diagram below shows the fasteners used on the 97 Body Style Model Years 1972-1979:

[​IMG]

Ford fasteners typically use a standard number which is industry wide and you can frequently obtain the correct fastener just by searching for the part number. In this case, the illustration 'DB' matches the corner molding fastener so the part you need is 381955-S. I searched for that and the link above is the first hit in the search. There are a lot more hits for that. I don't know if the correct nut comes with the fastener, you might have to search for that number (45271-S) on your own. If there is a D2OZ- xxxxxxx-A part number that part is unique to Ford but MAY be available as universal type molding clips.

Shop 'til you drop! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2008
    HVAC22 likes this.
  4. 72GTVA

Equal Time Requirement

1965 Ranchero Bed Trim Fasteners

[​IMG]

1966 - 1967 Ranchero Bed Trim Fasteners

[​IMG]

1968 - 1969 Ranchero Bed Trim Fasteners

[​IMG]

1970 - 1971 Ranchero Bed Trim Fasteners

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2008
  5. 78Squire400M

78Squire400M In Overdrive

Some good info there gentlemen, thanks.

6. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

Searching for the info

I searched #381955S myself and Dennis Carpenter Reproductions says he has them,, I am currently getting that info verified,,, Also the Ford Parts Book shows the nut coming with them as an assembly ,, As soon as I get Carpenter to send me the info I will post it up,,,, Fixing Trim for these rigs is becoming crucial ( I got a box full to be fixed) as no one is making repros and NOS is drying up fast!!!!

7. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

OK I heard from Dennis Carpenter Reproductions about the trim insert screws,,, they have them in stock and they go for a $ 1.50 each plus shipping ,, So in order to make it worth while to order them you should order a good amount ,, Hope this helps someone out,

8. 72GTVA

Follow up:

Follow-up: I ordered enough of the 381955-S parts from the folks in the link below for my trim pieces, they are exactly correct for the corner moldings at the rear of the bed. They do come with nuts, however, the nuts are smaller at the base than the original and washers will have to be used to hold correctly to the molding base. Good response, the parts were here within a week of ordering them.

http://www.parts123.com/index/google/0000315k/moreinfo-0000315k-ABCCD-381955-S.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2008
  9. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Trying to find molding,emblem fastners for my 73 500.The 68-9 diagram looks correct for BW,Z,CB fastners that i need.Does anyone have diagram of 73 500 trim?Thanks John

10. 72GTVA

Best I can come up with is the '72, imagine they are the same though.

[​IMG]

11. batmobile

batmobile In First Gear

How do I access the tailgate trim must be accessed through the cover on the tailgate.
    What is the cover? How do I get it off.
    I am asking because my 15 yr old son dented my tailgate with his body, so it is bent in. I want to get behind the sheet metal and push it out.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

12. 72GTVA

On the '72 thru '79 there are four small screws that hold the ends of the trim ends. Once those are removed the trim is held on by tension clips, you remove the top trim by gently prying up the trim molding incrementally until it is free. Once it us off, the inside panel can be removed to access the inside of the panel. Be aware that there is a u-channel beam inside the tail gate that is positioned right about where the crease is on the outside skin. Getting access inside the tailgate doesn't necessarily mean that you will be able to access the actual dent location but it is worth a try. Good luck!

13. batmobile

batmobile In First Gear

where are the 4 screws located?

14. drlance

drlance In Fourth Gear

Batmobile,
    Open your tailgate. On the side of the tailgate trim are the four screws, (2 per side),
    SPRAY them with your favorite penetrating fluid.... WAIT...... Spray them again.... WAIT..... AGAIN..... Then take a 'GOOD' phillips screw driver and they should come out.
    Then gently pry the trim up and pop the clips loose.
    Once that is done, there are many, many, many screws holding the inside panel to the tailgate. DO NOT LOSE THEM!!! Otherwise, it's another trip to the hardware store!!
    Once the panel is off, there is an inner support panel that has 2 screws to remove it so you can actually have access to the inside of the tailgate.
    Take you time and look the gate over carefully, you will find all the screws. Then just reverse the process to put it all back together!!
    PS, a cordless screw driver helps!!

Lance

15. 72GTVA

Use the pictures below as reference:

[​IMG]

16. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Found these fastners at local automotive paint store.They [​IMG]did the job.

17. batmobile

batmobile In First Gear

Thanks sooo much for all of your help. Because of you guys I was able to take my tailgate apart and I WAS able to push out the dent - mostly.
    Learned a lot.
    Thanks!!!

18. drlance

drlance In Fourth Gear

Yea, the problem with dents are that they actually stretch the sheet metal a little bit. So it's really difficult to get the panel to just 'pop' back into it's original shape. Sometimes you get lucky.... othertimes, you have to fine the kid's allowance to afford to have the tailgate fixed!! lol
    Glad it worked out!
    Lance

19. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

If he is careful with a shrinking wheel, he should be able to smooth it out from the inside without ruining the exterior paint.

20. 73GTS

73GTS In Third Gear

You can order these and any other clips, screws, nuts, etc. from AMK. That's where I got mine.