72 grand torino.. Advice please

Discussion in 'Other Vehicle Classifieds' started by submariner, Oct 22, 2013.

1. submariner

submariner In Second Gear

http://mobile.craigslist.org/cto/4099225001.html

I'm looking to purchase a 72 grand torino sport station wagon. Sold my ranchero a while back and been missing the old car though...
    It has a 351cleveland, c4 transmission, all power option.
    Needs carpet, tailgate lower part sheet metal repair and has some rust starting to come through on the lower doors.. But not rusted out yet.
    Overall the seller is the 3rd owner.

Here my questions:
    Is it worth messing with it... I know it is rare though...
    What would it be worth after cleanup and paint ?

Btw.. The owner is holding it for me :cool:

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I would pay about $2500 if I really wanted it.
    Expecting to get anything out of fixing it is a pipe dream unless you are really lucky.

3. submariner

I would have thought a price close to the asking is fair, considering the rarity of the car.
    So far, I do not think I have seen any 72 station wagons for sale. Not even at the recent cruisin the coast event here in Mississippi .

4. ribald1

A snake with 2 heads is rare.
    Do you really think you could get $500 for one?
    Much less $5000.
    It is possible that these oddball vehicles will be valuable down the road, and if the tea leaves tell you to invest, go for it.
    Otherwise, get what you like, and make it what you want.

5. Denny

Denny In Maximum Overdrive

As much as I like the car I have to agree with Ribald. I believe you would have a hard time getting your money back at that price. It is a rare and interesting car, though.

6. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

agreed, I like it a lot...but not at that price. maybe 3grand...no more. Needs a lot of sprucing up.

7. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

I have seen that wagon in person. Used to be one county over from me but never met the owner. If you attack the termite issue now it would be an easy save. How bad ya want it ? I'd go in person and count out $3000 in cash in front of the owner, slowly. Ask him to throw in any spare parts too. Then tell him that's all you'll go. Leave your cell number with him if you leave without it. It's amazing how many call-backs I get before I get back home.
    Maybe it's a nostalgia thing or maybe folks are burnt out on mini vans, more probably it's a dare to be different attitude but in some parts of the USA wagons are a hot commodity. I got the bug myself after playing with a friend's Buick Roadmaster wagon. Now I have three of them and a 62 Rambler wagon. Wife likes the wagons so I'm good and not in the doghouse.
    Look on the net, you won't be alone having wagon fever.

8. airford1

airford1 In Maximum Overdrive

Agree with 2500. I like wagons too and a Chevy that hangs the front wheels to second gear is more my style and cheeper too.

9. submariner

Thanks for all the replies . Talked the the owner and he is 100% stuck on 4000.- . Too high for me.. I thought max 3 due to the work.
    After all it's not a muscle car or ranchero.. Just a station wagon... And it did kinda bothered me, that the Cleveland was paired with a c4 .

10. ribald1

Well, he has gone from $5800 to $4800 to $4000.
    Just give him a little time.

11. LUCKYJACKASS

LUCKYJACKASS SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER

That wagon is pure awesomeness. I don't know about $4000 worth of awesomeness, but still, pure awesomeness. Call me a retard, but that's the kind of stuff I love...something you won't see another one of in years, if ever.