'72 GT What should we do??

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Rtr, May 5, 2018.

1. Rtr

Rtr In First Gear

IMG_9374.JPG IMG_9377.JPG IMG_9379.JPG IMG_9380.JPG Hello from Alabama. We have a '72 Ranchero GT that's a 1 owner. Uncle bought it new and still has it. I've taken interest in it cause it's such a cool car and wanted to share it here. Thinking about getting the steam cleaner and washing it up and looking it over. He parked it in the back field in 2002 and left it. Prior to that he kept it in his garage (that he built for that car). It got moved because he needed a place to Park the lawnmower. Haha. Wish I could fix it up....or talk my uncle into it.

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Looks worth saving.

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Money talks. You know a bit about it, see if he'll make you a 'deal' deal for it. But I would at least sweep the bed, get some boards under the wheels to get it off the ground, take a quick look with a flashlight, see if there's rust damage underneath, pop the hood, see if you can bar the engine over. It's a good color combo, and a lot of underhood and interior parts are available here.

Cindy likes this.
  4. handy_andy_cv64

The interior appears to be intact; any evidence of water intrusion?

5. Saff54

Saff54 In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Get it out of the dirt!

ForistellFord likes this.
  6. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Yes, save it if you can.Welcome to the site!

7. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Depends on if the bed is toast, and the floors are intact, and if that's poison ivy growing up the front left fender.

8. Saff54

Saff54 In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Yikes! that does look like poison ivy,3leaves,I’m highly allergic to the stuff,as a kid I’d blow up like a balloon,have to get steroid treatments,didn’t even have to touch it,I could get it airborne

9. Rtr

Rtr In First Gear

Yeah we need to wash it and put it on jackstands to see what's going on. Pretty sure no water intrusion. I didn't look at it real close the other day for fear of snakes. We killed a copperhead 2 days prior about 100 feet away from it and it was biggest one my uncle and grandfather had ever seen.

Uncle did tell me it is all original with exception of wheels, interior was redone, and he had to put a new motor in it because of the antifreeze that was sold on 70s. He said it ate up the freeze plugs and it ran hot in him. Said it had a 351 in it from factory that ran on premium. He said he replaced it with a 351 from a '76 Grand Torino that ran on regular gas. He also said the car was never wrecked.

I guess it's still worth something??

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  10. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

Welcome.... that's a great story... write it down, restore the car...

11. handy_andy_cv64

It's worth something to somebody, but how much that is, well that has to be hashed out. Have you discussed it with your uncle yet, if he has any plans eventually? And if not, what would it take to make it yours?

12. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Well it not worth much in the condition it is in and your uncle changed what would bring any real value to the car (The Q code 351 4v)! To be honest with you if you like the car and are going to keep it then it is worth doing something with money wise. But if you want to invest in the car and flip it your best bet would be clean it up and get the $1000-$1500 for it as it sits. You will spend more than the car is worth or you can sell it for in repairs. as these really are not very desirable cars in the collector car world

13. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

This man speaks the truth. ^^^^^

14. Rtr

Rtr In First Gear

IMG_9375.JPG IMG_9376.JPG IMG_9381.JPG IMG_9382.JPG IMG_9384.JPG IMG_9385.JPG IMG_9386.JPG It was a "Q" code car? What does that mean or should I ask?? Haha. Here are some more pictures.

15. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Yours was not a Q engine code (351 4v CJ)
    I was mistaken by your premium fuel remark that indicated a 351 4v cobra jet engine. yours was however a less desirable 351c 2v That did not require premium fuel,that was replaced by a even less desirable 351m engine from a 76.

16. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Post #12 covers it perfectly. Aside from your cool story, it has no real collector value. Invest in the thing only if you are going to keep it and drive it. Otherwise, just move it for whatever you can get for it, before it returns itself back to the Earth since it is now sitting out in the elements.

17. Rtr

Rtr In First Gear

Gosh, with it being a '72 and a GT, I thought it would have some value. To me upon my quick initial inspection, the car seems to still be in excellent condition "body-wise" with it being straight and little rust from what I can see. I expected it to look worse inside and out honestly. Is there anything wrong with the engine that is in it? You say it isn't desirable.

18. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Not desirable from a collector standpoint. There were a lot of GT's made, and the 'collector value' ones are Q codes. But even then, it's a niche market at best for sure. Add to that the undervaluation of Rancheros in general, and you arrive at the conclusion that we're hinting at.

Don't be discouraged though. We here love them and I would love to see that puppy back on the road. But basically, there is not a lot of value in it as it sits, unfortunately. But that doesn't mean it isn't cool! And it is worth saving if you want to drive it yourself. Otherwise, sell it as-is to someone who wants to get it back on the road as their daily driver.

19. Rtr

Rtr In First Gear

Do they make replacement steering wheels, dash pads, and other interior parts that aren't upholstry (upholstry could be recovered)? To me, upon the initial inspection (less engine and floors underneath), it looks like it could get by with a bath, probably a gas tank, general engine tuneup/carb rebuild/maintenance, tires, brakes, and some interior stuff.

20. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

It has good bones, but there is a fair bit of work needed to get it back on the road. After the basics are done, you will have spent more that it is likely worth if you go by the book. Then there is paint, rotten rubber and
    possible rust issues. If you want to restore your Uncles Ranchero, by all means do it. It has potential. Is it a good investment for return on your dollar? Maybe not.