72 Ranchero 351 4V Q code. Time to rebuild/replace

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by john777, Aug 18, 2016.

1. john777

john777 In Overdrive

I didn't want to wait three months for the p-51's so we went with the SCJ heads
    Here are the cam specs.

528 Cam Specs.JPG

2. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

Thats very good to hear , just loose bolts ,and lots of power

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yeah, that was so very lucky, knock on wood (raps knuckles on noggin).

4. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Thanks for posting up the info. SCJ's are right up there on the 385 pecking order and from your dyno results, they're doing well :)

5. john777

john777 In Overdrive

I picked the motor up from the shop and dropped it back into the Ranchero (after sanding down the powder coating on the flexplate) Hooked up the tranny and later this week all the rest of the accessories. Looking forward to getting it back on the road, that will be a Christmas present in itself...

andrewok1 likes this.
  6. john777

john777 In Overdrive

I replaced my leaking steering gearbox with a refurbished one two years ago. While driving the car recently I have no power steering when turning to the right but its normal turning to the left. I took the car into A shop and had them look at the front end and they said there was no damage(I had the car shipped up to Norcal in December) The mechanic said there was nothing wrong with my suspension and said it sounded like the gearbox went bad...

Any input or ideas? Or do I buy a new gearbox and R&R the beast?

7. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Probably the latter - check your warranty on the rebuilt/refurbished steering gear.

8. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Not going to be worth my time since the shop was in SoCal. Lesson learned, I should have bought a new unit. Anyone have any links?

9. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Well ... it's highly unlikely that your steering gear is broken. Inside your steering box is a servo decision-device trying to decide whether to send your pressurized oil to one side or the other (of an internal piston) to help steer the car. That decision device is where the problem lives. Maybe a plugged passage or similar, or something obstructing the steering valve. Keep trying to find somebody who knows steering boxes -- there must be someone out there. Or, get a manual and figure it out for yourself, they aren't that complicated.

All servos work the same. YouTube might be helpful.

HuevosRanchero and john777 like this.