72 Ranchero 351 4V Q code. Time to rebuild/replace

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by john777, Aug 18, 2016.

1. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Without opening it up and looking, does anyone know what spline the axle is on my 351 4V? Q code car.

2. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

Stock was 28

3. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

You should be able to tell for sure by pulling a wheel and looking at the "hub" portion of the flange. The 31 spline axles will almost always have a pilot hole in the center of the hub and two larger holes to either side. The 28 spline will have recess that has the profile of a circle with the top and bottom cut off....sort of like if a ball was put in a vice and squashed.

axles.JPG

4. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

That makes it easy learn something new every day lol

5. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Follow up question on the stock C6 in a 72 Ranchero. I bought a BBF C6 and the tranny guy doing the rebuild had a question on the shift connection. When I sold my 351 engine/tranny on craigslist, the tranny went as well as the line that came out of the tranny which met the column shift. (sorry for the nomenclature buffonery) Here is the email exchange from the tranny guy (the picture is not the C6 going in my car) :

"best my memory can serve me is that the column shifter on yours uses a CABLE that goes down to the bracket on the driver's side of the transmission and the arm on the transmission is short and aims UpWard. Just like in this picture. Can you please verify if this looks correct? If so, I have to go on the search for this arm.. The cost of the arm will be added to the total cost of the job. am guessing it could be $50-75 range IF I can even find one. I have a few sources that I am hoping will come thru for me. Most of the C6's I build for big power conversions usually get aftermarket performance shifters. Keeping things factory looking with factory shifters is a rare thing anymore. Please confirm on this arm in the picture (it's dark) thanks"

c6 out of 73 montego.jpg

6. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Donor C6 C6 donor.JPG

7. john777

john777 In Overdrive

IMG_5648.JPG IMG_5649.JPG IMG_5653.JPG IMG_5658.JPG Pics of the motor. Headers showed up from Crites today...

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  8. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The C6 that came in my 72 had a rod from the column shifter, not a cable.

9. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

My 74 is rod also

10. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

That's Strange all the columns I have pulled on these have been Cable shifters

11. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yeah, I thought lever-shifted gearboxes came out in '79 with the downsized full-sized cars. It's the reason why the manual lever on Babe's C4 had to be flipped 180* in order to accomodate the cable and bracket.

12. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I had to change the transmission lever from a rod type to a cable type whne I went over to the floor shifter.
    It wasn't really a rod, it was more of a bar, but it did the same thing.
    The c6 lever can be mounted two ways by removing a nut and remounting it 180 degrees from it's previous position.

13. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, C4's the same. But that lever was the ignition switch interlock, IIRC.

14. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Here is the latest from my tranny guy: Any help would be appreciated:

"here's some pics of the two arms I purchased already. I was almost dead sure the D2 (1972 ) arm was the one but when installed, the arm is almost all the way at 3:00. that to me is just way too far over. So I see this D5 version that is dead close in looks and see the locating angle on the back side and it's clocked differently so I get it. Then I realize it's angled the wrong direction so then park is even over past 3:00 also. so it's actually worse. See if you can get someone in the Torino club to find a C6 manual control arm sorta like these two but specifically off a 1972 Torino column shift vehicle.. can be a ranchero or regular torino sedan with 351C and C6 and column shift. Your trans is done and awaiting on just the correct shift lever to be installed. Then I can install the valve body and the pan and hand this to ya."

Attached Files:

15. Mike

Mike In Overdrive

Here are the same full size images in their original order, but posted in a much more convenient way:

c6 shiftarm10.jpg
    c6 shiftarm11.jpg
    c6 shiftarm12.jpg
    c6 shiftarm13.jpg
    c6 shiftarm14.jpg
    c6 shiftarm15.jpg
    c6 shiftarm16.jpg

To properly embed an image in a post, please click the link in my signature.

16. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Thanks for that. I'm supprised my tranny guy can't find the proper parts on his own. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

17. handy_andy_cv64

Both are correct parts. I have a column czble shift diagram in my Motor book shkwing P at 3 o'clock. John, if you need a pic of the diagram, let me know by PM and I'll shoot it and email it to you.

18. john777

john777 In Overdrive

check PM. thanks

19. handy_andy_cv64

20. handy_andy_cv64

Email is winging to you.