72 Ranchero 351 4V Q code. Time to rebuild/replace

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by john777, Aug 18, 2016.

1. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Got it in the hole! Had to remove the oil filter and go from the other side. Pry bar and jack etc. All ready to move forward.

2. john777

john777 In Overdrive

I am replacing the power steering lines (my original 351C lines which go from the same steering box to the same power steering pump) and need to know what the correct fitting sizes are for the box and the large pump. (Not Saginaw). I looked at Rock Auto and they have about eight to choose from for a big block Ranchero. Thanks-getting close to starting this beast!

3. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Need one of these power steering hoses. Any ideas or part numbers? IMG_6713.JPG IMG_6714.JPG IMG_6715.JPG

andrewok1 likes this.
  4. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Repost. Any help with the pics of the power steering hose above?

"Need one of these power steering hoses. Any ideas or part numbers?"

andrewok1 likes this.
  5. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

6. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

X 2 NAPA I hade got mine there as well ,they seem like they handle a variety of pats for our style cars

7. john777

john777 In Overdrive

8. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Has anyone made a modification for the kick down rod to adapt it to a Holley that doesn't have the ford kick down lever on the carb? I was thinking that a slotted extension on the rod connected to a stud on the throttle arm would work but I would need to know how far the rod needs to move to activate the kick down on the transmission. Has anyone tried this?

9. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I use a cable. Simpler to adjust and maintain, also cleaner looking.

10. john777

john777 In Overdrive

I have the kickdown rod. i bought one on ebay, custom made

11. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Find your local carb rebuild guy and have him change the throttle shaft to one that has the kickdown on it.

12. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Update: Still working on the kickdown rod. All the pulleys line up, everything is in place. All the fluids filled up and topped off. I had the video running yesterday, but we are not getting a spark. Engine is cranking. Try again next week, headed out of town.

13. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

What's the condition of your points? When were the points and condenser last replaced? When was dwell last checked? If you've switched to electronic ignition, make sure your connections are all good. I once had a customer's '66 Buick come in, as he had installed a Pertronix unit and coil, but wasn't working. Turns out he forgot to strip the insulation on one wire, and after fixing that, it fired up and ran fairly decently.

14. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Problem Solved. MSD box was not hooked up properly. Will start on monday afternoon...

15. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Oopsie. Are you using an electronic dizzy? You can use the points, since an amplifier takes most of the current away from them (Pontiac's first electronic ignition used points that could go more than 60K before replacement). But it's good you found the problem.

16. john777

john777 In Overdrive

What do you think? 6 months worth of work!

17. john777

john777 In Overdrive

This is the first start:

18. john777

john777 In Overdrive

also...I am using an Msd 6al and it is driving my factory tach nuts. I have been on the MSD website and after reading the info and looking at the wiring diagrams I am still confused. I am not using the white trigger wire yet the MSD filter uses it for its install. Has anyone had this issue and how did you fix it?

19. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Yes, you will most likely have to install a MSD tach adapter. A lot of the factory tachs are not compatible trying to use only the tach signal connection on the box.

20. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

You cannot fix it with out replacing the guts of the Tach it is a series Tach the voltage for the coil pass thru the Tach you need a tach that uses a signal from the coil

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017