72 Ranchero 500 project

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by Rods N Restos, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Overdrive

January I picked up a 72 Ranchero 500,it was a rolling shell from firewall back and previously was from Arizona so here in New Jersey that is a great find as I already have 2 rust bucket Rancheros.

Well a week ago I was finally able to go to the Previous Owners house and pick up the front end and other parts he had for it including the top metal dash with the VIN plate,to my relief.

He is a Vet and was working on Restoring the Ranchero at a Navy base workshop in NJ.He had some health issues that stopped the build along with Pandemic so he had friends go to NJ and bring back the parts that were taken off to his house in PA where the shoved it in a big shed all except the engine that sat outside covered up.
    He turned the title of Ranchero over to the guys at the Navy Base Auto Shop and the one employee said he wanted to try and find parts to build it not knowing that the guy still had it all so after a few months he listed it on Facebook Marketplace for sale.
    I got it and have a 72 Ranchero with bad body so I wasn't too concerned of missing front end but when I seen the top dash was gone with VIN plate I asked if they had parts in shop and was told no.
    I asked if he had the Previos Owners number and he said he would have to get it from his co'worker.
    When I got home with Ranchero I started cleaning out some parts that was left in cab and seen a pile of papers shoved in corner of dash and it was Storage Receipts and had the guys number so I called and he was surprised as they were suppose to Junk the Ranchero.
    I told him I had got it and was wondering about VIN plate on dash.
    He told me he had the parts and the story about restoring it but he didn't recall where the dash piece was as he didn't retrieve the parts. but I told him I was interested in the parts and would buy them but had to wait a bit.
    He agreed to hang onto the parts till I could come get them cause I told him I wanted to restore it to go with our 72 Gran Torino Sport and 72 Gran Torino wagon. 2021-01-30.jpg 20210108_205833.jpg

Boiler92 likes this.
  2. Rods N Restos

Here are the parts from the Ranchero plus a bunch of extras as he also had a 72 Gran Torino Sport that he was fixing up but sold so he had extra parts that the buyer of the car didn't get as he still had the Ranchero at that point.
    I got everything he had along with a Harbor Freight 2 ton folding engine hoist.

He had boxes of new parts also which some of the parts were New Cleveland engine mounts rear Moog cargo coil springs,Gas shocks with coil springs,Energy Suspension Urethane rear suspension bushing kit,front sway bar bushings,new front brake calipers just to name a few.
    The original rust free AZ front sheet metal minus the flat hood,plus spare fenders,header panels,front bumpers GT hood with some damage on front outer skin ,74-76 Rallye guage cluster,New Holley 670 cfm 4 barrel carb(sold it)
    351-2V Cleveland with 70 4V Closed Chamber heads and new Edelbrock Performer 4V aluminum intake, the C4 transmission and original driveshaft.

Upon getting motor unloaded from trailer and some inspecting I found water got in engine and tore it down.
    Sadly the block was pretty messed up but the 70 4V Closed Chamber heads were ok so I ended up selling those to a friend in Virginia and sold the Holley Carb to a Gran Torino guy in NJ so I ended up in the plus and got the parts I bought for free.
    I still have some stuff to sell like the Edelbrock 4V intake Rallye guage cluster as I have a 14 pin plug pigtail so it can be used in a 72-76 Ranchero or Gran Torino Screenshot_20211101-013318_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211101-013354_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211101-003056_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211101-002956_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211101-003056_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211101-003030_Gallery.jpg

Boiler92 likes this.
  3. Rods N Restos

here is inside the 351-2V Cleveland block.
    It didn't end up being the numbers matching block but was a 72 built in Lorain,Ohio and the blue Ranchero was built in Atlanta.
    So since this motor would need extensive work to salvage I have a correct 72 351-2V Cleveland and C4 in the 72 Ranchero parts truck that I'm going to use as its still intact which I will pull apart and freshen up but it won't have rusted cylinders and lifter bores.
    Also when the guy took off the 2V heads he removed a Edelbrock Performer intake for 2V heads and a Carter AFB 625 4 barrel carb so I will use those along with a new camshaft for more torque and horsepower for towing.
    The 4V Closed Chamber heads would not be good fit for a street cruiser that will see occasionally tow duty taking our 72 Gran Torino Sport to car shows so I can bring 2 as My girlfriend doesn't like the car show scene Screenshot_20211101-013140_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211101-013150_Gallery.jpg

Boiler92 likes this.
  4. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Looks like a good parts haul.
    That block is what ya call a"seasoned" core.

5. Rods N Restos

that block is what I call a boat anchor

uk ranchero likes this.