72 ranchero gt fuel tank

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Andyjman83, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Andyjman83

Andyjman83 In Second Gear

Hey guys,
    The gas tank in my 72 ranchero gt is rusted through and leaking and i need to replace it. I have read a few topics where people said that they were able to use a 74 to 76 fuel tank due to it being easier to find as the 72s seem to be kinda rare, but all the pictures that i have seen show the 74 to 76 having the fill hole in the rear, and my fill hole and pickup are in the bottom/side of the tank on the drivers side.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys
    Andy

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

They are using a generic picture such as in the advertisement here:

http://www.dearbornclassics.com/fuel-tank-26-gallon-ranchero-1974-1979.html

This ad is showing them on sale - I did pay more for mine back when.

I have purchased a couple of these tanks for my cars, they are correct, filler is to the left.

You will need the new sending unit, sending unit gasket ('o' ring) and retaining ring (if not included with the sending unit), a new fuel neck filler gasket (also an 'o' ring or donut ring) and you might want to be prepared to replace the carriage bolts/nuts that secure the straps that hold the tank in the car.

Good luck with your project!

3. Andyjman83

Thank you very much, i was just thrown off because usually on the online sites theyll write that the picture doesnt represent the actual product but i didnt see that on there.

Thanks again,
    Andy

4. 72GTVA

A couple of other things you will need for this job - the '74 up tanks have a rollover vent valve which is a different configuration than the vent in the '72 - which means you need to either adapt the old vent or buy the new type rollover vent valve and the 'o' ring that it seats in.

So... you need this:

http://www.dearbornclassics.com/fuel-tank-vent-valve-ranchero-torino-1972-1979.html

and this:

http://www.dearbornclassics.com/vent-valve-seal-fuel-tank-rubber-torino-ranchero-1972-1979.html

5. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

6. Andyjman83

Thanks guys, poor old tank, i wanna get it swapped out asap before it starts to really.leak and my garage smells like old varnish lol, worst part is that its backed up into the corner about 8 feet from my water heater and right below the furnace/ac system that i installed to heat and cool my garage. Thankfully nothing in that old tank resembles gas anymore hahaha.

Andy

7. 72GTVA

Long answer: I also bought new straps and when placed side by side with the originals they were the same length, and the new ones had the same bends as the original. Couldn't see a difference. When I hung the new tank and positioned the straps, it took a little effort to get the strap to engage on the carriage bolt but once there and tightened the straps pulled up and reshaped themselves to the new tank contour, I replaced my carraige bolts with stainless and I got the replacements a little longer which made it easier. So... I guess the short answer is "no, he won't need new straps".

8. Andyjman83

Alright, just bought that tank, thanks for the link 5.0 chero, i also bought the new vent valve, o ring, and filler neck o.ring.

The tank comes with new sender o ring and locking collar, my question is will i be able to use my existing sender? Believe it or not it still.works and its accurate too lol.

9. 72GTVA

The '72 sender arm and fuel pickup is shorter than the '74 & up - you could adjust the '72 to indicate relatively accurately for empty, but the full range to full won't work correctly - the float will be at maximum through about 5/8 of the fuel level of the tank. I wasn't happy with the fuel gauge reading full until I was down to about just above a half a tank of fuel. Not sure of the long term impact with the float being mechanically travel limited to where it is submerged in fuel until the tank level drops to the point where it can actually float on the top of the fuel.

It is up to you.

10. Andyjman83

Eh, heck ill buy a sending unit, i found one thats for a 74 to 79 looks to be the single tube which is what i have, the only.picture of it is a side profile and i cant tell if it has 2 electrical connections or 1 Mine has 2. None of the descriptions i have seen list the number of terminals.

Do all the 70s sending units have 2 wires on em? I dont wanna order the wrong 1.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  11. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You should verify the connector is the same; I seem to recall that there was a change, like in '74 or '75?

12. 72GTVA

Mine plugged right in, no problem.

13. handy_andy_cv64

Good to know.

14. Andyjman83

Well i got the new tank delivered the other day and so i yanked the old one. I was hoping to use the same sending unit but yea lol, i dont think itll work right with half a float hahahaha. I never expected to see it corroded this bad.

Can i intrest anyone in some nuclear gas?
    Hahahah

Attached Files:

15. Andyjman83

More

Attached Files:

16. handy_andy_cv64

17. Andyjman83

New tank ready to go in. I cleaned it of all the stamping oil and gave it a nice thick coat of rustoleum black. The old tank had these weird clear crystals in it, ive never seen that before lol.

Attached Files:

18. JerryDaWolfman

JerryDaWolfman In Second Gear

Hey Andy do you happen to have a picture of the direction the sending unit port is facing?

19. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Roll the sender so the float bowl operates vertical.You can mark it on the outside with a sharpie.Dont forget to replace the O-ring and sock filter
    on the end of tube.Inspect/replace all fuel soft lines and clean hard lines.

JerryDaWolfman likes this.
  20. handy_andy_cv64

The opening is keyed to hold the sender in one direction. Great if your sender's a direct fit, but if not, you'll have to cut it off, then mark it, as LS suggested. I suggest making matchmarks after it's secured in place on both the sender and tank.

JerryDaWolfman likes this.