72 ranchero gt fuel tank

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Andyjman83, Jan 11, 2017.

1. john777

john777 In Overdrive

I was thinking about running a 1/2" line from my fuel tank to the engine and I could prob use a new tank anyway. Does anyone know of an aftermarket aluminum tank for a 72 GT?

2. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

A half-inch line sounds a bit large to me. You will probably have really low fuel pressure with that size line, unless you get a really strong fuel pump. But then mine is a '64, and it uses a mechanical fuel pump; maybe Ford moved to larger fuel lines by '72.

Joseph

3. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Mine is a 528 ci. I noticed, what seems like fuel starvation, while at the track at high RPM's. (FYI-550 HP at 5200 RPM) It felt like temporary loss of power. I just changed the fuel filter and have no issues since, but have not been running it very hard to test...

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It sounds like you need to find out what size fuel line your car was built with; was it a factory big-block car? If not, then the fuel line is inadequate for as large and powerful as yours is, but Joseph's right--a 1/2 inch line's too big for an NA application. BUT, you could rig an electric pump feeding 3/8" line to a regulator underhood, at the tank outlet, with a return line, to give you the requisite 6 lbs. pressure for carburetion, or 30-50 lbs. for EFI, with the proper fuel pressure setting.

5. stabmasterarson

stabmasterarson In Second Gear

Be extremely careful. It could still have explosive vapours. People have had there houses and children blown up from old Jerry cans leaking vapours near hot water tanks. Maybe fill your old tank with water if it's garbage anyway.

6. handy_andy_cv64

Definitely. Even varnish is combustible, and has a lower flashpoint than gas. Regardless of what you plan, that tank needs to be removed and emptied, then either restored by a shop, or properly disposed of, as well as disposing of the old gas.
    When Babe was in the shop last year through early this year, I had pretty much drained the tank, so that even if the vapors escaped and ignited, there was too little fluid to make it an instant conflagration.

7. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Does anyone have part numbers for the sending unit and neck filler gasket? also the 3/8th fuel line.

8. handy_andy_cv64

3/8" steel line, you can get anywhere that does automotive supply. You will need a single/double/bubble flaring tool set and a decent tubing bender.

9. john777

john777 In Overdrive

10. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

If you're just wanting plain steel line for making your own, you can get 25' rolls on amazon. I never had any luck bending stainless steel lines, but the carbon steel was soft enough for me to bend with one of those hand-benders. And flare, too.

If you're wanting custom lines made with the braided stainless steel cover, my local NAPA makes those.

Joseph

11. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

I always like to use copper when replacing a fuel line, easy to bend and flare and you can buy in any length you need.

12. john777

john777 In Overdrive

https://www.amazon.com/Roll-Copper-...automotive&sprefix=3/8+,automotive,216&sr=1-9

Good idea... done

13. john777

john777 In Overdrive

I have all my parts and pulled the tank today. No surprises. I did notice my painter never reinstalled the 4 screws that screw into the filler neck from the outside of the car.
    Tomorrow I will start the installation of the new tank. It is noticeably larger.
    The cheap plastic vent valve at the top of the tank I bought online is sad. Looks like the existing valve is solid brass or copper, might re use it.

14. handy_andy_cv64

If you do, ensure the check ball or barrel (depending on manufacturer) still goes back and forth, as it doubles as a rollover shutoff valve. But you can stick with the plastic one if the old one doesn't fit or work. Mine's factory plastic and still properly working.

15. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

All of my 1972 Ranchero fuel tanks did NOT have the rollover valve nor did the '73 tank I used to replace one that then too promptly failed. They were all a simple vent, and they do not fit the opening of the replacement tank that I used on mine (which were the larger '74-'79 fuel tanks). FWIW.

16. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Fourth Gear

Wonder if you can adapt the 3/8 stainless steel fuel line from Inline Tube for 72-76 Gran Torino.
    They don't have it for Ranchero but there probably only 4 inches difference as that is the Difference on 4 door sedan and wagons wheelbase compared to 2 door model and Ranchero is built on wagon platform.
    https://www.inlinetube.com/products/sfff7201

17. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Fourth Gear

Only reason for going 74-79 Fuel tank on a 72-73 is cost of tank is more for less fuel capacity.
    But how much is that roll over valve and the 74-79 fuel sending unit?
    Is it really cost effective if you have to switch a bunch of components to make the later model work in a 72-73?

My 76 Ranchero came without fuel tank and only had the fill tube and gas cap.
    The 72 Ranchero 500 parts car has tank but think the guy damaged the tank with his fork lift when he lifted it cause rear drums were locked and couldn't drag it up trailer.
    So either I'm going with aftermarket aluminum fuel tank with fuel pump inside or I have to see if I can make the narrowed frame hold a stock tank as it's going ProStreet with narrowed 9" axle and 4 link coil-over suspension so not sure what tank I can use

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    andrewok1 likes this.
  18. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

[QUOTE=So either I'm going with aftermarket aluminum fuel tank with fuel pump inside or I have to see if I can make the narrowed frame hold a stock tank as it's going ProStreet with narrowed 9" axle and 4 link coil-over suspension so not sure what tank I can use
    I UNDERSTAND THAT '" WOW ""

19. stabmasterarson

I just used 3/8" aluminum tubing for the fuel line in my '72. It's very cheap, super easy to bend and you can easily flare it if you need to. I installed mine about 6 or 7 years ago with absolutely no issues

20. stabmasterarson

I very curious how you made out @john777 . I am thinking of installing the aeromotive phantom fuel pump inside my tank but it involves drilling a 3 1/4" hole in the tank. I'm not sure if I should do that now if finding a replacement tank for 72 is difficult. Just in case I ruin it!