73 fuel tank

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by big4colt, May 12, 2018.

1. big4colt

big4colt In First Gear

does anyone know where I might obtain a new fuel tank for a 73...as I understand it, the 74 thru 79 are different and that's all I can find...thanks

2. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

3. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

4. big4colt

big4colt In First Gear

hey guys...thanks!!!! the last tank by Sherman sold by carid, I have....it is mislabeled on their websight...fits 74-79...will not fit a 73...took some convincing to prove they are wrong...surprised they have not changed the website...my tanks problem is that it is full of rust...does anyone make anything that will dissolve the rust so that it can be coated with something? or any luck cutting it open and cleaning it out and welding back together...by the way, my 73 is a yellow GT with the 351 Cleveland 4 barrel that I paid $100 for in the late 70's.

5. LSChero

Really,didnt think 73-74 tank was that different other than size and vent, pick-up sender.Post up some pics of your comparison.
    http://www.ranchero.us/forum/index.php?threads/72-ranchero-gt-fuel-tank.22476/#post-265237

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Radiator shops used to do boil-outs of rusted tanks, so check with them first. But if that doesn't pan out, making another year's tank fit will take a bit of work, but I think it could be doable. Have you used the site's search function?

7. JKG-R500

JKG-R500 In Third Gear

A few months late.....but might be of interest.
    In 2005, my 72 Chero tank was rusty inside and was cleaned with gas tank sealer kit from Eastwood, then coated with a product from a motorcycle shop. So 12 years & 4000 miles later, still no problems with fuel/tank.:)

8. LSChero

I have never heard of bad result if tank was not to far gone with epoxie coating.POR15 makes a gas tank kit now.