73 Marti Update

Discussion in 'Ranchero Vin Decoder/Production Numbers' started by HVAC22, Jan 11, 2019.

1. HVAC22

HVAC22 In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

Posted last weekend about my 73 data door sticker that had blank paint code and 6 digit DSO. Ordered the elite Marti report that day after conversations here.
    Received e-mail today from Scott @ Marti saying that the Ranchero was definitely special order and special order paint but have no record of color from Ford. Suggested I send a sample of paint from car so they can annolize. Anyone ever done this?

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Hmmm... interesting - what do they expect you to do, send them a bleepin' door of fender??? :p

Had to do something similar - not car related - and the historical center's test site wanted a 1" square (about the size of a postage stamp) sample from the best area we could locate that had the least exposure to sunlight and weather. (This was a military artifact from around WWI not that it matters). We were able to scrape off a sample with a razor from under a flange, packaged it and sent it in. Only thing similar I can think of. Perhaps an area inside and under a door or covered by a door panel or such?

Does beg the question of if it was painted by Ford or the dealership?

3. HVAC22

Kinda what I said. Decided to call Marti, Lady that answered said they could not find Scott in the facility. I asked could she give me guidance on how to secure a sample and how they wanted it returned. She said the had to have at least a 2" x 2" sample. Had to be a solid square no flakes. I'm like how the hell you do that. She told me to return e-mail to Scott to get directions. Did so immediately around 4 eastern time, they are in Arizona, got not response but hell it Friday. Can't blame man for trying to sneak out of work. Guess I could try to cut out piece from floor since a pan has to be installed. Not sure how good that sample would be with the rust.

Cindy likes this.
  4. HVAC22

He did say it was special order paint by Ford. Car is black, floor boards under carpet are black. Curious how special black can be made? :)

5. 72GTVA

From the floor is probably not a good place, notoriously thin and as you point out, rusted. I'm stumped - maybe Hillbilly or someone else here has an idea on how to get a sample lifted from a panel (and not sacrifice a good part for a relatively minor factoid - unless you are planning on doing a 5 Star A+++++ absolutely perfect restoration - and that assumes the car hasn't been repainted in all these years...

6. 72GTVA

Yeah - black isn't terribly special - any evidence that black isn't the original paint? Headlight buckets behind the lights, inside quarter panels looking for overspray in tail light openings?

At this point it could have been camel snot green or Highway Department orange - and perhaps someone repainted it later to black because the original was awful.

7. HVAC22

I have checked areas for overspray but non seen. Look as if single coat of paint, under hood on fenders looks almost like an orangest / pinkest, prime type color under paint chips. I may try to pull the door panel tomorrow.

8. HVAC22

On another front I did do some research on the guy who signed the Shell gas receipt I found. Feed back from others found that he was 71 at the time of his passing.:( He lived in Massachusetts then moved to NC. Wife is still alive, and they both lived at one time in the same town as myself. Hoping they had children, would like to reach out to them.

colnago likes this.
  9. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

I would look under the kick panels or at the base of the windshield post in the area hidden by the dash panel top. Few pull the dash to do a re-paint. For what it's worth, Ford had around 5 shades of black in both enamel and lacquer. Pinkish looking primer started out as red oxide, that would indicate enamel paint was used. Is there a painted tab made in the underhood bracing ? It's only use was to hold the end of the hood insulation pad so it could be sacrificed for a sample. Should be enough paint for anyone to figure it out. Anyone remember the option called "Glamour" paint ? Heavy metallic used very fine aluminum particles to give that deep reflective look. Only seen a few Fords and Lincolns with that black paint but they sure were eye catchers.

10. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

first ask if they will return the part if so remove the bumper filler from one corner and send that to them

Hillbilly likes this.
  11. HVAC22

Thanks Chero, good idea. Was going to get some pics of the paint on the body and post them but been raining last couple days. Interested in comments from members on paint. Hope to get them tomorrow and post them.

12. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

do you have an umbrella:eek:

13. HVAC22

Yea, but only got two arms! Not squidadidaly, who remembers that on Saturday morning cartoons?

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  14. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I don't remember that, but I do read HP Lovecraft and his Cthulhu mythos stories. :eek:

For those who don't know Lovecraft, think of Davey Jones in the Pirates movies.

Joseph

TestDummy likes this.
  15. HVAC22

Got me on that one!

16. Cindy

Cindy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

geez, a 2x2 piece? Kinda wonderin why they need that much.

17. HVAC22

Looking forward to the response from Scott @ Marti, hopefully tomorrow, get better instructions .

18. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

The 2054 is the file number for the special order. That should tell what the color is. That's how we would get a mix formula number to do repairs on the paint. I would think that would be available on a Marti report. Is there a build sheet still under the seat or dashboard? I don't think send a paint sample to Marti would do any good. Local paint store or older body shops have the paint chips either for specific car brands or fleet colors. I have them at my shop back into the 50's.

19. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

His life story is a horror show. Way ahead of his time.

colnago likes this.
  20. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Gesundheit.

colnago likes this.