74 ranchero refresh

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Dan the ranchero man, Dec 20, 2018.

1. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

For STRAIGHT UP cam timing, the crankshaft sprocket's keyway will be centered on the crank sprocket's marked tooth @ 12 o'clock. Looks like they went a bit overboard with the orange Permatex/silicone, definitely got your money's worth there :p.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Oh, I feel better! I thought something had gone wrong with the front cam bearing, and all the babbitt had somehow flowed down the block.

3. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Thanks, yes I know about the cam timing. As for the RTV sealant.... I guess you can never put on too much.:rolleyes: The intake manifold around the water jackets was the same a little heavy.

4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'd just put some good paint on it, after sandblasting.

5. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Already tried the paint and it failed due to the environment around the cover plate. Coolant flow cleaned it off the pump side while moisture managed to condense on the timing chain cover side and caused the paint to lift. The separator plate still looked pockmarked like the surface of the moon except where the gaskets were glued on. Paint was a failure. Metal under Chrome will eventually rust but I think Clark's idea might be a hot deal if the chrome isn't very porus. Chrome reminds me of paint in that it is sorta' equal to fish scales and the more the material overlaps the better the metal underneath is sealed off from moisture and oxygen. Clark's separator plate had what looked like a very high quality chrome plating job done on it. My engine builder had never seen that approach taken before and he really liked the idea, he planned to try the same on some of his future builds. Time will tell, I just wonder if we will live long enough to see the results.

6. handy_andy_cv64

Well, I plan to live long. We'll see.

7. Dan the ranchero man

OK folks time for a little timing chain "before" and "after" and there is a big difference.

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

Basstrix likes this.
  8. Dan the ranchero man

Now for a bonus! The guy that installed the gear vendor unit had some "issues" with getting the cross member to fit and slide on to the frame perches and clear the trans mount studs. Now I understand that sometimes "fab" work is needed because you are changing something from stock. BUT there are way better methods that what he used for my car. I snapped some photos of the brilliant work done by a "professional"!

First here is one side of the mounting on the trans side. Take note that the hole is threaded.
    [​IMG]
    Now here is the bolt set up he used in that hole
    [​IMG]
    now here is the fabulous hardware used for this "mod"
    [​IMG]
    now this hardware was installed barley hand tight because you could not get any tools in there to save your life. not to mention a bit dangerous! He bought a shorter trans mount so the GV unit would fit in the tunnel "THAT WAS OK" but the way he mounted up WAS NOT! The trans cross member will be getting two access holes drill into it and then the "correct" size hardware will be able to be installed through the bottom. If he would have done that in the first place that would have been good to go.

9. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Looks like they used the 72+ timing set. This new set should give you a little better bottom end response.

10. Dan the ranchero man

That is what this beast needs!

11. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Dan,
    Cam timing looks good, should make for a better running 460 for sure. You should see more cranking compression, more idle vacuum and more low end grunt. As for the special transmission mechanic skills, which one of the two (between :10 & :13 in the vid) was the one working on your trans :D?

12. handy_andy_cv64

I remember that commercial! I think it was the same guys who did my favorite lawyer commercial here in Seattle:

And Leonard Moen's still in business today!

13. Dan the ranchero man

The Monkey's where working on it for sure! (I remember that ad when it was running)

14. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In First Gear

we got some of them working over here too

15. Dan the ranchero man

OK folks just a little update Sent the damper out to the Damper doctor to get rebuilt. Since the unit was original and the rubber was looking a bit mosaic thought it was time to bite the bullet and get it done. The oil pan, intake manifold and a few other things are getting blasted so when it all goes back together it will look like new.

ForistellFord likes this.