74 ranchero refresh

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Dan the ranchero man, Dec 20, 2018.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

A bit high, but what can you do? They specialize in it. I'll keep it in mind. Thank you.

2. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

I thought it was very reasonable for what he was doing. The $700 quote I received for repainting the graphics on the speedometer is crazy!

3. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

From what I remember from my truck forum, that price seems to be in the ballpark, although the s/h on top of that is a bit pricey (to me).

Joseph

4. Dan the ranchero man

The shipping from California to Mchenry (Chicago) was not bad (he gets a better price because of all the volume) but the $30 from the post office to get it there was a killer.

5. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Would not fit in a medium, flat rate box? $15

6. Dan the ranchero man

Hindsight is 20/20. didn't think about it until after it was gone. I used the box that my buddy's damper came back in from the damper doctor.

7. Dan the ranchero man

worked on the ranchero a bit today. The engine is now put back together and is awaiting paint! I decided to focus my attention the transmission. Since this unit was rebuilt just 2 years ago (about 5K) I figured this would be an easy clean up and paint.....wrong! As the fluid was draining out I noticed a lot of metal flakes coming out of the pan. When the pan was removed the filter screen had a lot of those flakes caught up in it. I know a certain amount of "fine" stuff is OK but this thing is only 2 years old with 5 K and the sludge is very thick and the flakes are pretty large. It looks like this thing is going to need some attention before I think about reinstalling it back into the ranchero.

8. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You know, a 4, 5 or 6-speed stick would solve that problem. Just sayin'.....

9. Dan the ranchero man

here are some photos of the trans "sludge" My feeling is that he either did something wrong or did nothing at all. I can't see this being from only 2 years of service and 5-6 K miles. But let me know what you folks think. I am going to be making a phone call tomorrow. Might also want to add that they filled the trans with dexron/mercon fluid. I wanted the type F but he argued with me that the trans does not need Type F and will be fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Dan the ranchero man

You are right but I have a bad knee and that is why I gave up my f 250 with the stick. Knee don't like it.

11. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Dan,
    You may want to check endplay to see if the number is within spec, if any of the thrust bushings are deteriorating it will usually show extra flakes in the pan and overall endplay will grow. I had a C6 eat through a thrust bushing, only found out when it wouldn't downshift at stop, the fine debris made it's way into the governor/valves heavy flakes were in the pan. End play should be between .020-.040", not knowing what the C6 end play was set at it is hard to say what exactly is causing the large flakes(can be bearing material) and sludge(usually clutch plate/or band lining material).

12. Dan the ranchero man

I am not going to take this thing apart until I see what/if anything the shop will do for me first. when I first brought the car home from the shop the trans would not downshift at all. I had to downshift manually. brought it back they did something to it and it was working (kind of). To date this has been the worst trans rebuild ever. Yet this ame guy has given me some great one too. But those were out of the car and I handed them to him. This was the first "in car" rebuild and we added the GV overdrive.

13. aquartlow

Type F will give a more positive shift, less clutch slippage. The pics does have some "stuff" in the pan/filter, but not catastrophic looking.

14. Dan the ranchero man

The fluid (hard to see in the photo) looks like metal flake paint. That is my concern never seen one with low miles with that much metal flake that is something I have sen on 80K and higher units. So would just clean up the pan install a new filter and use it?

15. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

What specific year's the C6? IIRC, Ford switched their trans fluid to Mercon after '81? My '79 C4 is Type F, but as soon as the AOD went into service, all other Ford automatics were switched. The type you require would be on the dipstick that it came with originally; if you have it on your rig, pull the dipstick, read it to the dipsicks who serviced it, then whip them roundly with it till the cry for their mothers.

Edit: I'm normally not this harsh, but chowderheads who don't have a clue give us good mechanics a bad name.

16. aquartlow

Dan,
    If it was shifting fine before the inspection I would probably just change the filter(you can clean those metal screen filters with brake cleaner and be just fine) clean up the pan and add the necessary trans fluid(I would also recommend installing a couple magnets in the bottom of pan to help keep metal debris in one place). You can check on it or at least the condition of the fluid after a couple thousand miles to see if there is still an issue. I would wait to see what kind of reply you get from the trans builder after he sees/hears what you found in pan, he may want to open trans up and it's easier now than removing it once everything is back together. If the trans was in fact rebuilt, they could have used clutch material that is more compatible with Dextron(the clutch material usually look like paper o_O) , if the clutch material is the original type(which I believe you have since there is "metal dust" in the fluid) I would use Type F. I would also adjust the intermediate band, spec is tighten adjustment screw 10 ft lbs and back off screw 1 1/2 turns out, then tighten locknut to 35-40ft lbs. I used Transgo directions where they have you adjust the screw to 10 ft lbs then back off the screw until you can just turn the output shaft(trans in any gear other than Park), mine was at 1 1/4 turns then tighten the locknut. Doing this gives great clamp force, less slippage and less chance of shift flare but not tight enough to burn up the band.

17. Dan the ranchero man

The trans is out of a 1974 I know for sure it runs type F. That is what (until now) I have used in it for the past 30+ years.

18. Dan the ranchero man

Thanks for the advice. I will see what the trans guy says first. Then move forward with what you have suggested if needed. One thing for sure there will be type F going back into this thing. Should I worry about the converter? I would think it is protected buy the filter.

19. aquartlow

I believe the converter is fine, you may want to pull it and dump the fluid just to check if debris made it's way into it or could be the cause of the debris(very unlikely, at least you will get as much of the old fluid out before refilling with fresh Type F). While it is out check the area where the seal and bushing rides on the torque converter, there should be no scars or wear pattern in the TC's hub, at least nothing that would be felt with a finger nail. Before re-installing TC pour in about a quart or so of Type F(that stuff is getting pricey), make sure you get full engagement of the TC when installing ;).

20. Dan the ranchero man

Took the trans to the shop today and the owner removed the pan and the next words out of his mouth were........ THIS ONE IS ON ME! That is right he felt with the low miles and how long I have had it there should have been nowhere near the amount of sludge and metal flakes. He told me he would have expected this from a high mileage trans plus he was telling me the color of the stuff was not right either. In the end he said the only thing I would have to pay something for is the converter but would not be full price. I will know tomorrow what he has to say. Take care Dan