74 ranchero refresh

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Dan the ranchero man, Dec 20, 2018.

1. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

That is good news that he is "taking care" of it, viewing the pics and not seeing it in person lead me to believe that what was found wasn't too bad, I was obviously wrong when hearing that the rebuilder didn't hesitate offering to rebuild it after seeing the debris firsthand. I apologize that I replied with the advice to run it, seeing it in person would have been best. Did he say anything about the trans fluid being used?

2. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

He still sticks to his belief that dextron/mercon can go in anything and be fine. BUT now I am going to be reinstalling it back into the ranchero and you can bet I will have a case of fresh type F waiting! The radiator is going to be new so the cooler will not be an issue either. I will flush the lines and that should be good to go. No need to apologize. I know that the photo quality was not as good as it should have been to make a good judgment call. The trans fluid in the pan was the worst. I took some of that fluid and poured into a small glass and there was at least a 1/2 inch of metal flakes in the bottom! You would have thought I was going to be painting a car. When the fluid was coming out it looked like pearlesent paint. So we will see. Let's hope he gets it right this time. In the beginning I had the car back to him three times and still had trouble with it not staying in the upper gears (crushed vacuum modulator line). So now he don't have to worry about the car just the trans (this were I have had the best luck with him).

3. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Sounds like you found a stand-up transmission guy who'll take care of you. Best of luck on the next one.

4. Dan the ranchero man

Let's hope so. He has built 5 transmissions for me and 4 of them are fantastic. The 74 ranchero is the only one that has given me/him trouble. But the entire trans/gear vendor project with him has been kind of a disaster so here is to let's get it right .......finally!

5. aquartlow

Wishing the best of luck and that second time's the charm. It is good to hear he took responsibility for what he saw, too rare in this day and age.

6. Dan the ranchero man

Thanks. Will ya all posted on the out come.

7. Dan the ranchero man

The trans itself checked out OK. The converter is suspect in this case and he is having it cut open and inspected. The trans is getting all new seals/o rings/gaskets. I just want a stock converter with this thing (that is what gear vendor told me to run) . any suggestions? I am leaning to the stock one. He had some custom built unit that was supposed to slip at the low end for better torque off the line but lock up fully by about 2200. But that was not way it was working (I told him this in the beginning 2 years ago) The unit never fully locked up because my RPMs were never close to what GV told me they should be with my combo in OD (2100@70 mph instead running 2800-3000 @70 MPH). (GV unit was confirmed working correctly)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  8. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

stock with your setup and use will be fine

9. Dan the ranchero man

Thanks that is what I was thinking.

10. aquartlow

A C6's torque converter will never fully lock up, just the nature of it's and transmission's design, there will always be a little bit of slippage. Having as much slippage as you described, (way too much) that slippage increased trans fluid temps quite a bit, the slippage/elevated heat helped produce the "goo" and glitter in the pan. As 5.0 recommended, a stock stall converter is the way to go, Dacco has good reliable stock style units(maybe ask for a towing converter-HD unit with usually the least amount of slippage). Good luck.

11. Dan the ranchero man

12. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That's great that the shop's owner is covering the warranty! If the trans has updates that can be done, you should negotiate a price for the shop to do them while it's getting the rebuild under the warranty. Never hurts to ask. Also, there are in line filters for automatics; you should consider one, if originality is not a concern on your rig.

13. handy_andy_cv64

I just took the time to read all the posts; disregard my first suggestion, as I'm still a bit sleepy. But the second suggestion still stands. The great thing about the in-line filter is that it has a magnet, so it'll catch bad crap too small to be caught in the filter medium.

14. Dan the ranchero man

OK folks a little progress time and photos to share. The engine part of this program is looking really good. Engine is painted and awaiting installation! :D Still need to get the headers out for some ceramic coating. Bought a brand new aluminum 4 row radiator. Much cheaper than rebuilding the stock brass 3 row. I would imagine it will cool a lot better too!
    Well here are some photos of the engine looking all fresh again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Second Gear

looking good

16. Dan the ranchero man

Another update. Will be dropping the headers off today to get a new coat of ceramic coating. The old coating (jet hot) served me well with 20 years of service.

HuevosRanchero and ForistellFord like this.
  17. Dan the ranchero man

Back together again!!! Put the trans and engine back together and everything looks great. Now will be starting on engine bay while waiting for the headers to be done.

[​IMG]

18. aquartlow

Looking good Dan! What converter did you end up choosing?

19. Dan the ranchero man

Basically a stock one. This one has a slightly lower stall (1800-1900 RPM) Thanks for the props!

20. handy_andy_cv64

Looked much better that Babe's...she's a bit pissed because I cut corners, like paint...and basic cleaning.

andrewok1 and TestDummy like this.