74 ranchero refresh

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Dan the ranchero man, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

well the proportioning valve came out looking nice and 99.9% sure it will work as good as it looks.

[​IMG]

andrewok1 and HuevosRanchero like this.
  2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Exactly what I would have done.

3. Dan the ranchero man

well folks time for another update! The engine and trans are now installed back in the ranchero :D:D. Could not be happier. But there is still a lot of work ahead. Here are some photos of the engine and the re-coated headers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not real pretty yet but here is the underside

[​IMG]

4. Dan the ranchero man

while there are no photos today there was some more progress on the ranchero. Worked on the underside attaching all the wires and cable for the overdrive unit. e-brake cable and tightened up all the bolts that were just hand tight from yesterdays installation fun. Will be waiting on the brake booster sent it out last week for a rebuild was told 2 1/2 to 3 weeks from the time they receive it. still plenty to do will keep you guys posted with some photos soon. Take care Dan

HuevosRanchero and andrewok1 like this.
  5. Dan the ranchero man

Ok it has been a while but have been busy putting the ranchero together. Here are a few shots of the progress.

the engine
    [​IMG]

new booster and master cylinder
    [​IMG]

new clutch fan set up/converted from solid spacer.
    [​IMG]

new aluminum radiator
    [​IMG]

6. Dan the ranchero man

hoping to hear it run tomorrow. Some more new antifreeze and a little more trans fluid. Charging up the battery (will be replaced very soon) and we will see how it runs. With the new cam timing expecting to have to make some adjustments. Keep you all posted. take care Dan

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  7. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

As always, looks great Dan. Hope the fire up goes well and no hiccups. BTW, the clutch fan looks mighty familiar ;).

8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Mine made it to Babe's 351W! No way I was gonna leave that behind!

9. Dan the ranchero man

Well I am happy to announce IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::D Couple of very small leaks (power steering, trans cooler lower line into rad) were very easily stopped with a slight tug with a wrench. vacuum at idle now is 17 Hg (was 10 Hg). spark timing is crazy high but the car runs and restarts great (45 BTC ) car sat and ran in the barn for over an hour engine temp never went over 190 degrees (was 65 degrees outside today). with the old set up in the same conditions the engine temp would have been 220 degrees and you would have never been able to restart it with the spark timing at 20 BTC. Will take the car out for a test drive tomorrow after work (raining today and no hood on the car yet) at that time will get to test the new brakes too! So more to come but so far this project looks like a success! I know this turned more into a project thread than a help one but I want to say thanks again to everyone who helped out. Take care and keep ya all posted on the test drive.

10. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Woo Hoo! Almost ready for the road.

11. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

45 BTDC? Are you sure your mark is accurate? That sounds crazy extreme to me.

Joseph

12. Dan the ranchero man

I had the damper rebuilt by the damper doctor just for this refresh. I can only "assume" they got it right. But the car runs and starts great so I am not going to worry about the mark. I used a vacuum gauge to set the timing and the timing light as a reference.

PonyExpressRider and andrewok1 like this.
  13. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

You can remove all doubt with a piston stop, and verify the mark on your own. I have heard great things about the damper doctor (when I was rebuilding my FE), so I would trust them before trusting me. I just think that 45* is crazy/doubtful/impossible/damaging. My truck liked 25*, but I didn't, so it's now around 15* (which is still high for an FE).

Joseph

14. HVAC22

HVAC22 In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

Very nice!

15. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

Very nice DAN

16. Dan the ranchero man

OK folks here is the scoop! Took the Ranchero out today for it's very first ride since completion of the refresh. Joe you were right the timing did need to come back a bit. After the engine was nice and heat soaked (beautiful 70 degree day today) the thing was a bit hard to start. Put the timing back to 38 degrees and it runs like a champ still and starts right up. Vacuum at idle 16 hg @ 900 RPMs. I may have to go into the distributor and see what is up with the weights from idle to around 1200-1500 RPMs the timing flutters back and forth about 3-4 degrees. once under load no problem. I am guessing the springs do not have any tension at the low RPMs and the weights are just moving around. This is a brand new distributor but that don't seem to mean much these days have to look at and inspect everything. Still seems minor overall the truck runs awesome. will probably be bringing it to the fairlane nationals this year in Dayton , OH.

17. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Dan, is that 38 degrees total or initial timing? A good starting point for a 460 is 14-17 degrees BTDC initial with an ignition timing total around 34-38 BTDC all-in by 3000 or so rpm(I have seen low compression 460's want and/or like even more degrees of total timing-as much as mid 40's BTDC) . Vacuum advance will add another 10-15 degrees above these #'s. Here is a great link to Duraspark distributor tuning/recurving. http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/Duraspark_distributor_recurve_instructions_index.html

PonyExpressRider and colnago like this.
  18. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

What he said. Revved up in the driveway, no vacuum, you should be 38 max, from everything I have read. But, I guess, if it's not pinging ...

Actually, if it's not pinging on regular (non-racing, gas-station pump) fuel, your compression ratio is probably fairly low (meaning 8.5:1, max).

Joseph.

19. Dan the ranchero man

Was going to take the ranchero out today to dial it in a little more but apparently I was not watching the weather reports for Sunday. Boy was I surprised! :eek::eek::eek:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Saturday was sunny a 50 and most of the week was pretty decent. Supposed to 65 buy Tuesday I guess I will get it then. You know what they say about the Chicago area if you don't like the weather wait 20 minutes! You guys are right I do need to dial back the spark timing a bit more. Was going to work on that today :mad: instead worked on repairing and replacing the shifter bezel and gasket

andrewok1 likes this.
  20. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

Eep I see photos like that, and I like the SoCal sun more and more. Of course, in August, my area of SoCal will be hitting 120*. But you know what they say: it's a dry heat ...

Joseph